Thread: Please help!! Aggressive fire belly toads

Jessica Cavalier

Default Please help!! Aggressive fire belly toads

Hello everyone. I purchased a toad 3 days ago. Went to PETS MART today to purchase another one. Within 15 minutes of adding the new one to my tank, the old toad jumps on the other's back and will not let him go. The newest toad tries to get away, but flips over in the process because he can not get away. I do have a video of them doing it, but not sure how to post it. I could email it to any of you, if it would help. Is this normal behavior or do I need to take 1 of my toads back for a refund? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jessica Cavalier

Default Please help!! Aggressive fire belly toads

Hello everyone. I purchased a toad 3 days ago. Went to PETS MART today to purchase another one. Within 15 minutes of adding the new one to my tank, the old toad jumps on the other's back and will not let him go. The newest toad tries to get away, but flips over in the process because he can not get away. I do have a video of them doing it, but not sure how to post it. I could email it to any of you, if it would help. Is this normal behavior or do I need to take 1 of my toads back for a refund? Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

This is normal. They'll settle down after a while. Male FBT's just seem to try to mate with any toad they can grab lol.

Do keep an eye on it and make sure all are still eating though. I have heard of one instance of this behavior becoming harmful. But generally its nothing to worry about.
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Please help!! Aggressive fire belly toads

Are they male/female? Trying to breed?

EDIT: I merged your two threads together. Please only make one thread when asking the same question.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Just to add some reassurance, as previously mentioned. It's harmless and normal. They are very unlikely to hurt each other despite how it looks. I had my first fbt for about a year before I got another. Both males. When I added the second to the tank, the first made sure to let the newcomer know whose territory he was in. It's very similar (I think) to some of what goes on during mating, but it's just a show of dominance. I would witness anywhere between two to six maybe more shows of dominance a day. Sometimes just squeezing, sometimes holding one underwater. But they can stay under for quite a while with no harm. I think they can even absorb some oxygen from the water through their skin.

However it took about six months before the rituals started to taper off. Now two years later it's a less than once a week occurrence.

Something I've been wondering about was what would have happened if I'd put both of them into a new environment together. Would the older one still have shown as much aggression as the surroundings would not be familiar to him?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I have 4 and they are the same. The biggest one Chubs mounts anything that moves, and he seems to keep Larry,Curly and Moe in line and likes to remind them every once in awhile who the boss is. My daughters named the three after the stooges because the love movie and named the biggest one chubs, and not cause hes fat. Just because hes the big boy, and I know some may be female but we will just pretend they are all boys to keep the girls happy. But ya nothing never to serious, and I keep an eye on them for the first 10 minutes or so when feeding to make sure Chubs lets everyone else eat. The worst I seen and I know it was a mistake in identity is during feeding chubs jumped for a cricket and it moved and Moe was right buy the cricket and moved at the same time and Chubs got his arm. I freaked but he let him go in a couple of seconds. And if you got yours at petsmart I would suggest getting a fecal test done just to be safe. And I say that because I was in there one day a couple months back to get some crickets and as I walked by the FBT's enclosure there was a dead one in there flipped upside down with his foot stuck in the filter. I notified the girl in the that department and she acted like it was no big deal and when I asked her if they are supposed to clean it out she just gave me a look like ya ok. I will admit that I got mine there but I had fecal done and they were clear and I got mine before this event. But I can honestly say I would never purchase another living animal from our store. I know they are not all the same but I would do it.

Thread Information