Thread: Hello from Kansas City!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Hello from Kansas City!

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to find this forum and after looking through a lot of the posts, I feel like this is a very good group of helpful and friendly people!

I joined this forum to add frogs to my list of pets. I have experience in breeding ball pythons, corn snakes and certain fish. I wanted to learn about breeding frogs too. It seems that my local reptile shows are missing out on frogs at their shows. To me, this presents an opportunity. Not only to bring the hobby to a bunch of people in Kansas City, but also to hopefully support my own reptile/amphibian hobby. To me, nothing is more exciting than waking up and finding new eggs or fish fry and knowing that they were there because of how well I take care of my animals.

I want to bring frogs to my local reptile show, but I will need to start small. Can anyone offer any suggestions on which frogs an amphibian novice might have success in keeping and breeding?

Here are some of the frogs that have my attention at the moment.

1. PacMan Frogs - Hardy species, not sure about how easy they are to breed, but I'm sure they'd be a great frog to offer at a reptile show.
    2. Amazon Milk Frogs - Just found out about these today and they look like an amazing frog! I would some day for sure like to breed them whether I start with them or not.
    3. Dart Frogs - Either the Azureus or the Golden. According to many, they are the best for beginners.
    4. Bumblee Walking Toads - Hardy, but more difficult to breed?

Any suggestions would be great! Not sure if this the appropriate place to post this, but I figured it would be ok to add this in with my introduction. Thank you!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello from Kansas City!

Welcome Kansas City !
    Enjoy your research - your answer will come to you.
    All of the possibilities you are considering have very different care.

IMO , and as long as the enclosure is built properly, the golden and the azureus ( in that order) will be an easy and rewarding first frog.
    The goldens are a bold frog. Always visible. the orange morph is beautiful !
    You might read about D leucomelas ?
    This doesn't mean the others are terribly difficult ---- just very different husbandry.
    If you study their day- to - day care....it might help you make a decision.
    Read about 'the problems' people encounter with each species.
    Read about the feeders you have to keep for them ! ie for the darts you will need to learn how to make fruit fly cultures ( of which is very easy )

PS- my opinion is ? bias ... I happen to love dart frogs. I still have 2 species of tree frogs (for many years) ... but like my darts much, much more.
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome! I have only owned tree frogs, so I do not have much input to offer. Tree frogs are definitely harder to breed than the darts that you listed. I prefer tree frogs because I like nocturnal frogs and the beauty of a tree frog (I also hate fruit flies!) Most people dislike tree frogs because they are nocturnal though, so that's something else you have to take into consideration. I would not consider a pacman frog if you want the experience of breeding a frog. They are nearly impossible to breed, you either have to replicate the exact conditions of their natural habitat or use hormones, both of which are dangerous and possibly deadly.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

I appreciate the feedback so far. Thank you both. As far as ease of care and breeding, dart frogs are looking good. My only problem is that it looks like it can get pretty expensive setting up an enclosure for just a pair of frogs. By the time you set up your false bottom, ABG mix, plants and optional background, it gets pretty expensive.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on setting up a good habitat for them cheaply? I have a 20 gallon high aquarium with glass cover that offers a little bit of airflow.

False bottom seems to be the cheapest way to go and the best way for cleaning out excess water drainage. Where can I go to spend less on ABG mix or plants that go into the terrarium?

I'm making my 6000K led light fixture out of two LED bulbs that I bought online, an extension chord and plastic section of roofing gutter with end caps. Instead of spending close to $50 for lighting it will end up costing me about $25 and still look nice. It will offer optimal light for growing plants and not require a lot of energy and won't produce too much heat.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It does get expensive. Any questions you have about vivarium building would be better directed to the vivarium section. You'll get more answers over there. You may also want to check out this - http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...questions.html
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

keep in mind though, that both the D. Tinc. 'Azureus' and the P. Terribilis 'yellow' will take about 18 months before they are ready to breed, assuming you are purchasing juveniles. if you purchase a confirmed breeding pair, you should have success right from the start. but of course, it is about twice, if not more the cost of 2 juveniles. then also keep in mind that you are going to need multiple insect cultures. besides fruit flies, you'll need to culture springtails and isopods. not only for the breeding tank, but for the tadpoles. and they will eat a LOT of springtails. you'll also need a tadpole station. the terribilis tads can be raised together in groups, but the Tincs will need individual cups, since they are cannibalistic. you'll also need grow out tanks for each species as you go on. it can be VERY overwhelming to say the least!! and not a cheap journey you are planning on taking. not saying you shouldn't do it, just wanted to offer a glimpse of what you are in store for
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri