Thread: Trying to Buy a Red Eye TF in NYC

karosenb

Default Trying to Buy a Red Eye TF in NYC

Hi,

My 7 year old and I have just finished setting up our vivarium and we are quite pleased. We built a false bottom, a waterfall, a custom background, put in great live plants and have a nice mister going twice a day. We finally got the temp and humidity to the right levels and now we just need our Red Eye Tree Frogs.

I had planned on ordering the RETF from Josh's frogs, but it says they have 0 available on their website. !!!!!
    Anyone have a suggestion for me on how to buy some healthy RETF in New York? The temperature here is dropping, so I am afraid about the shipping in these cold conditions. My son is really excited since I told him a few weeks ago that shipping was overnight, and we only needed to get the vivarium running first. My bad, because I didnt check the websites beforehand.

Any ideas for me?

-KAR

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Trying to Buy a Red Eye TF in NYC

Don't know if you can wait, but there is a big reptile expo coming up on Feb 8th in White Plains

Also, we have a fully stocked showroom in Floral Park, NY with supplies and plants if you need anything else for your vivarium.

Good luck. I was going to suggest Big Apple Herp, but it turns out that they're in PA, and not NYC.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

Angela P

Back Water Reptiles have some. I have never ordered from them. Others I know have, they had healthy frogs sent.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Angela P View Post
    Back Water Reptiles have some. I have never ordered from them. Others I know have, they had healthy frogs sent.
    I looked at them before getting my reds. There are loads of bad reviews out there regarding that company. I would personally avoid them after reading through a bunch of the reviews.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

7. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Angela P

Oh, good to know!!! I have never ordered from them.

Forgot there are several stores that might have one in NY.

In NYC look for Fauna
    On the Island you can try either Repxotica or Jungle Bob's

karosenb

Thanks everyone for the input. I've tried all of the suggestions, and unfortunately, nobody has any red-eyes left. Boo Hoo. I think I need to wait until the Feb 8th reptile expo, but Ive already looked at the vendors, and I dont feel confident that any Red Eyes will be at the show. Do you think I'm crazy, or do you think there is a good chance that the show wont have them either? My vivarium is looking great, just need some frogs to call it a home.

I would think you have a very good chance of finding them at the show. I have seen them at most of the shows in NY that I have visited. I'll try reaching out to a couple of friends who might also have. It's actually not a bad thing that your vivarium is getting time to get established and for the plants to grow in before the frogs climb all over them.

Quote Originally Posted by karosenb View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input. I've tried all of the suggestions, and unfortunately, nobody has any red-eyes left. Boo Hoo. I think I need to wait until the Feb 8th reptile expo, but Ive already looked at the vendors, and I dont feel confident that any Red Eyes will be at the show. Do you think I'm crazy, or do you think there is a good chance that the show wont have them either? My vivarium is looking great, just need some frogs to call it a home.

If you are still looking, I just saw that Repxotica in West Islip, NY posted on Instagram that they had RETs in stock now...

karosenb

Thanks for thinking of me. I will call Repxotica later today, but I can see from their post that they have adult Reds. I'm looking for 2 juveniles/sub-adults. Most of the other places I've called wont ship to NY because its been in the 20's lately. They need it to be closer to the 50's in order to be comfortable shipping overnight. That might not happen until March!!! My hope is that there will be babies at the Reptile Expo on Feb 8th. If not, I'll need to wait until the beginning of spring. The good news is that my vivarium has achieved the perfect temp and humidity and the live plants are starting to thrive. Just need those reds to call it a home!

No problem, and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for at the show. We will have a table at the show, make sure you stop by and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by karosenb View Post
    Thanks for thinking of me. I will call Repxotica later today, but I can see from their post that they have adult Reds. I'm looking for 2 juveniles/sub-adults. Most of the other places I've called wont ship to NY because its been in the 20's lately. They need it to be closer to the 50's in order to be comfortable shipping overnight. That might not happen until March!!! My hope is that there will be babies at the Reptile Expo on Feb 8th. If not, I'll need to wait until the beginning of spring. The good news is that my vivarium has achieved the perfect temp and humidity and the live plants are starting to thrive. Just need those reds to call it a home!

karosenb

Good news! I found Jungle Bob's Reptiles in Long Island and he had a new shipment in. My vivarium finally has Reds in it! Please meet Fred and Eclaire. (my 7 year old named them) Thank you everyone for all your help, you've been wonderful! Special thanks to Vivarium in the Midst for the extra care and attention. More pics coming soon!

Name:  this.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  85.6 KBName:  use.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  73.7 KB

Awesome!! Looking good. I was actually just gonna post, I saw they posted on their FB page that they had them in. Glad you found them.

Angela P

Nice!

Thread Information