Thread: Is my Red-Eyed Tree Frog male or female?

Question Is my Red-Eyed Tree Frog male or female?

I got him about 3 1/2 months ago and he is still the same length; a little under 2 1/2".

He has not croaked and his nuptial pads, if he indeed has them, have never turned black. But I read that only happens during the breeding season. I have not tried creating an environment suitable for breeding as I dont have a waterfall and I think they do usually need running water to call. And also other males calling. I have played some youtube videos of male red eyed tree frogs croaking which had stirred up no reaction.

But he sleeps in a different spot almost every day, I read that females usually sleep in the same spot while males sleep around.

But here are some photos, let me know if they help any.

Name:  frenchy_grips_onto_his_plant_by_alexandersmantids-d8b7wkn.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  105.8 KB
    Name:  chubby_little_frenchy_by_alexandersmantids-d8bgkdx.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  98.1 KB
    Name:  where_s_the_hand__there_it_is__by_alexandersmantids-d8bh68b.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  83.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Is my Red-Eyed Tree Frog male or female?

If it is a he, even without breeding, he will start making noises. My Fortuna and tarrazu (males) are about the same size. Tarrazu started calling around 1.75 inches, Fortuna was much later. It started out as a clicking noise while hunting, I wasn't even sure what it was. Now they make a variety of noises. All my frogs, m and f, sleep in the exact same spot every night. I don't really notice any differences in behavior other than calling. So you will have to wait and see, either more growth or calling lol

Edit - my boys will not call at all if I'm up and about, only after I'm asleep and all lights are out. Playing recordings does nothing because they're too disturbed by my presence.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

4. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    If it is a he, even without breeding, he will start making noises. My Fortuna and tarrazu (males) are about the same size. Tarrazu started calling around 1.75 inches, Fortuna was much later. It started out as a clicking noise while hunting, I wasn't even sure what it was. Now they make a variety of noises. All my frogs, m and f, sleep in the exact same spot every night. I don't really notice any differences in behavior other than calling. So you will have to wait and see, either more growth or calling lol

Edit - my boys will not call at all if I'm up and about, only after I'm asleep and all lights are out. Playing recordings does nothing because they're too disturbed by my presence.
    Lol thanks for te info.

Maybe yours are more likely to call because you have two males? Or maybe cause you have females as well? Frenchy is alone.

I have heard Frenchy making clicking noises, it seems to coincide with his breathing, i was thinking it was the sound of saliva crackling as his throat reached the roof of his mouth and lowered back down as he breathed.

Frenchy is in my room and when all lights go out and i am in bed he still has not made any noises.

I guess time will tell!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Any noises usually indicate male unless (s)he has been startled at all. Like I said, I had no idea what the clicking was because I had always heard the "squawks" that they do when breeding. I had the boys first, Tarrazu was "clicking" right away, but it was several months before I heard anything out of Fortuna, even with Tarrazu making noise to encourage him. Hence the name Fortuna, I assumed he was a she lol. The girls were fully grown when I got them, so I couldn't tell you what their growth rate was to know if it's normal to go that long without any growth.

Nationality
    [Canada]

It's a female for sure, going by the size and the body shape . Males are noisy, I hear mine every night. Even if I am around, the room lights are on, they aren't shy! When I had one of them alone in quarantine in another room he would make noise pretty much every night too. If it was a male you would have heard it by now considering how big it is. (edit: just watched your youtube video of it in the water dish and it looks identical to one of my girls!)

2.2.0 - Giant Waxy Monkey Frogs
    2.4.0 - White's Tree Frogs 1.3.0 - Red Eyed Tree Frogs
    5.1.0 - Uluguru Forest Tree Frogs 2.0.0 - Amazon Milk Frogs 1.2.0 - Tomato Frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andaroo View Post
    It's a female for sure, going by the size and the body shape . Males are noisy, I hear mine every night. Even if I am around, the room lights are on, they aren't shy! When I had one of them alone in quarantine in another room he would make noise pretty much every night too. If it was a male you would have heard it by now considering how big it is. (edit: just watched your youtube video of it in the water dish and it looks identical to one of my girls!)
    Going by size and body shape, I would have guessed Fortuna was also female (hence the name.) But he wasn't, so I wouldn't say female for sure. The clicking noises he describes could signify male. I have never heard my females make any noises at all. Both my boys are 2.5 inches almost on the nose, plump, and no questions male. Fortuna did not start calling until just under 2.5 inches even though his brother had been calling since 1.75 inches. Some are just a little slow. I believe Heather also had a late bloomer who also has a female name.

Thread Information