Thread: Can anyone tell me if there is anything that I can do for this tree frog or if it would be more humane to euthanize it?

Caity

Default Can anyone tell me if there is anything that I can do for this tree frog or if it would be more humane to euthanize it?

Name:  1419697654885.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  47.8 KB

Its hind legs were completely dehydrated from the foot down severely dehydrated from the knee down.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Can anyone tell me if there is anything that I can do for this tree frog or if it would be more humane to euthanize it?

Poor frog Is this a captive pet or a wild frog? What circumstances did you find it under like this? I don't know if this is fixable or not (doubt it as it looks likely that necrosis has set in) and have no idea what to say, except that if it could survive this that a frog without it's legs won't have any kind of life... in that case it would be better to humanely put it down. You can do that by using Original Orajel with pain reliever (not the kind with antiseptic) and spreading it over his abdomen and back. I'm real sorry
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Can anyone tell me if there is anything that I can do for this tree frog or if it would be more humane to euthanize it?

It looks like the legs were crushed? Multiple fractures? Someone who knows something, please chime in. I think broken legs are theoretically survivable but this is pretty bad. If doesn't look likely the frog will be able to recover the use of its legs. If it survives it will have to be kept and hand-fed. I don't know how comfortable it would be without being able to climb and it may be in a great deal of pain right now.

Edit: Also, like irThumper said necrosis may be setting in. Unless you can get to a vet that works on frogs to give antibiotics euthanasia might be the best option.Once more, I'm not an expert, just going by stuff I've read on the forum/ common sense.

Banned
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Can anyone tell me if there is anything that I can do for this tree frog or if it would be more humane to euthanize it?

I would honestly put it down. It's suffered enough already, and by keeping it alive it would only suffer more. Even if it does survive, it won't lead a happy life

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caity

The orajel won't cause it to suffer, right? I don't know of anyone who works with amphibians. Its a wild frog I found it like that. It was still moving around, although with understandable difficulty. The legs were like jerky so I doubt it avoided necrosis.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It has pain reliever so it will generally numb the frog. There might be some flopping though. Of all the options Oragel pain reliever or essential clove oil seem to be the most effective and painless according to post #36 here: (warning, frank discussion) http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...tml#post124199

8. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

As everybody has already said, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done for that poor guy. Clove oil is the best to use at home.

so sorry
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

10. 2 members thank Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caity View Post
    The orajel won't cause it to suffer, right? I don't know of anyone who works with amphibians. Its a wild frog I found it like that. It was still moving around, although with understandable difficulty. The legs were like jerky so I doubt it avoided necrosis.
    Elly and Lija are right. I had to put down my sweet boy just on the 7th and it wasn't easy I couldn't get any clove oil so used the Orajel, it lasted only a few minutes but wasn't easy on him because I bought the kind with antiseptic, which I'm sure caused him more pain before he passed (he had a severe rectal/cloaca prolapse) the regular Orajel has no antiseptic so should be easier. For clove oil Lija explained it helped them to go to sleep so is easier than the Orajel...
    Lija: "clove oil is usually sold in health stores, you do a water bath, adding oil a few drops at a time with a few minutes in between, kinda add some, mix the water up, then a bit more, mix it up again, put that water entry on frogs back, so all skin is in contact.. At first a frog relaxes, then more and more and then breathing slows down and it peacefully goes to a froggy heaven.
    It takes time, but it's quiet peaceful way. Whatever tub you used for that, will need to go as well. There is no way of washing that oil out with anything."
    I'm sad you had to find this guy this way, but glad you cared enough to try to help him, including giving him a peaceful end. *HUGGS*
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Thread Information