Thread: Greetings!

Abrahm

Default Greetings!

Hello everyone. While caudates are my favorite order of amphibians I am still enthralled by many of the different frog species. I have kept a few species in the past but currently only have Kaloula pulchra. Beyond just keeping frogs I take great pleasure in doing a wide variety of research into amphibian life history and behavior. I have been interested in amphibians and their secret lives since I was very little and had little more than some out of date encylopedias, a handmade net and some nearby ponds.

Board and role-playing games are my other big love and you will usually find me either caring for my amphibians, reading or playing a game.

I hope this community really takes off the ground!

reptile dude007

Default Re: Greetings!

Welcome to the frog forum!!!

I do too. It seems to be on a good start .

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Abrahm, it's nice to see you here and thanks for the message about the tagline. How do you find keeping your little Kaloula? They seem to always be available at Petco.

Abrahm

The Kaloula are exceptionally easy to take care of. I understand that they are colonizing all parts of India including urban and suburban areas. They are almost bulletproof and have huge appetites. They are, unfortunately, not very interesting captives as they spend most of their lives burrowed into the substrate. I do occasionally see them out and about by night.

Oh, and their call? Horrendous. It sounds like someone butchering a live calf. I've only heard it once thankfully.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

In your experience do these guys grow much beyond the size they're for sale size?

Abrahm

I have three of them (well technically they belong to my girlfriend) and I have not seen any real growth. All the ones I have seen at PetCo and Petsmart are also about the same size. The specimens I have seen generally tend to be about 2.5-4" SVL.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I wonder what they're like to breed. How long have you had them by the way - it would be nice to think they tame down.

Abrahm

One has been in our possession for a little over three years and the others about two and a half years.

Ed thought that they wouldn't be too hard to breed. I wonder if anyone would be interested in purchasing K. pulchra froglets?

Thread Information