Thread: Help!

Toasterthefrog

Default Help!

Hello all,
    yesterday I purchased a wtf that I am rather concerned about. It wasn't until I brought him home that I realized he is missing some toes on his front and back feet. I currently have him separated from my larger dumpy. Although this concerns me greatly I know I can't fix him but he also appears to have a sore on his back. I was informed about the sore before I purchased him. The pet shop owner purchased him at a reptile show so I'm not sure how or what exactly the sore/wound is from. I was told. I could use Neosporin on him as long as it's not the one with the pain killer. Can anyone Vouch for this and put my mind at ease?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterthefrog View Post
    Hello all,
    yesterday I purchased a wtf that I am rather concerned about. It wasn't until I brought him home that I realized he is missing some toes on his front and back feet. I currently have him separated from my larger dumpy. Although this concerns me greatly I know I can't fix him but he also appears to have a sore on his back. I was informed about the sore before I purchased him. The pet shop owner purchased him at a reptile show so I'm not sure how or what exactly the sore/wound is from. I was told. I could use Neosporin on him as long as it's not the one with the pain killer. Can anyone Vouch for this and put my mind at ease?
    Hi, welcome to FF! Sorry to hear about your new frog being injured or sick Yes, Neosporin WITHOUT pain killer can be used, but the problem is why does he have the sore...? He could have an injury, or a bacterial or fungal infection, or even a virus.

Here is an important thread to read and questions to answer which will further help people to help you. http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...enclosure.html

This is also very important info regarding quarantining your new frog: http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...uarantine.html

The sticky posts at the beginning of the category here, and in the General section, have some really valuable info, so are great places to start!

Good luck and hope your frog gets better soon!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Toasterthefrog

Thank you very much. I don't know exactly how he got the sore sadly. The pet store owner purchased him from a reptile show so god knows what exactly happened to him before he got to me. Your info was very helpful, thanks again

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toasterthefrog View Post
    Thank you very much. I don't know exactly how he got the sore sadly. The pet store owner purchased him from a reptile show so god knows what exactly happened to him before he got to me. Your info was very helpful, thanks again
    You're welcome, glad if I can help! I would see if the store owner will divulge who he purchased the frog from. If he's missing toes it sounds like he might have been kept in with other species, something that nips... lizards of some kind? So with that you don't know exactly what kind of disease or parasites he may be carrying. It's definitely advisable to get him fecal tested, and from the sounds of the sore/wound I'd do a skin swab and have him tested for various other issues as well. This can be done by a vet that does exotics (make sure they are experienced with frogs!) or can be mailed in to a lab. I know there's an addy for the lab that does the skin swabs on here somewhere but can't find it at the moment so hopefully someone else will chime in with that info!

Oh, and a place called Repti-Labs has been recommended here for fecal cultures, but there is contradictory info on their website and no one has returned my email questions as to correct price and address to send the samples to, so caveat emptor ("let the buyer beware").
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh boy... Would you please post a pic of that sore? How old is a frog?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I agree with irThumper in general, except if you can't find a vet specifically experienced with frogs, I think it would be okay to send the fecal test to a general exotic vet. It would be better to find someone experienced, of course, but an inexperienced vet can confer with more experienced ones online. That's what mine did.

Toasterthefrog

Unfortunately the little guy passed away the sore looked like it was getting better. Here's what the sore looked like
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

So sorry to hear that I notice he had some lime green spots on him too... I've read on here before that those are generally a sign of some kind of bacterial infection. I wouldn't buy anything from that pet store again, the guy scammed this poor sick frog off on you. That's just not right!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [Canada]

So sorry for your loss
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Toasterthefrog

I've bought from this pet store before, that's where I got my current dumpy frog named toaster. I believe it was the breeder at the reptile shows indescretion that caused the poor little guy to pass.

Thread Information