Thread: Frequent Shedding...?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Frequent Shedding...?

Jelly Bean seems to be shedding constantly lately. I think this is the reason he's looked so puffed up-- just around his middle like they do when stretching out skin, nothing else is bloated. Skin is otherwise totally normal looking, still eats well. Shirley has hit a MAJOR growth spurt and Honey seems to be on the same track (Shirley shed tonight too) could it be that Jelly is finally growing more also but it's just slower so not as noticeable? (Except for the shedding?) I think he has more probs going through a complete shed too as his tank seems to get drier quicker than Shirl and Honey's does. My guys have been (still are) treated for coccidiosis too, so have likely been slower to grow because of that.

How often have folks noticed their older juvenile to young sub-adult White's tree frogs shedding?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Frequent Shedding...?

Bonk had increased shedding for a few weeks after I treated him. The dry tank you mentioned is probably a factor too. Just keep an eye on it and see if he gets any symptoms of illness.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think he is definitely growing... he's still way smaller than Shirley, and about half the size of Honey, well more then that but yeah. I should get a pic of them all together if I could get them to hold still The drier tank doesn't help with completing a shed, I know that. I need to add more than just a big leaf to his tank. I was going to put Jelly in with Shirl and Honey into their new 10 gal QT tank, but he's so much smaller than Shirley I worry about that... just don't want him pestered.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Banned
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Spike sheds a lot as well. I've also read that some frogs will shed nearly every week, whereas others, only every few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [Canada]

IrThumper..

First I want to say sorryI am VERY sorry about sHEila.. Very sorry.. All my heart and thoughts with you

About the shedding... My little guy also seem to shed frequently. He goes thru a full shedding and does have the left overs behind right away.. I never thought to worry as his sheddings are always completed right away and he goes on with his day.. Any 'left overs' on JellyBean?

If not, I'd say it's normal. Especially when growing. God would it feel thight with some old skin on me while growing out of it.. Lol

7. This member thanks MariePey for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MariePey View Post
    IrThumper..

First I want to say sorryI am VERY sorry about sHEila.. Very sorry.. All my heart and thoughts with you

About the shedding... My little guy also seem to shed frequently. He goes thru a full shedding and does have the left overs behind right away.. I never thought to worry as his sheddings are always completed right away and he goes on with his day.. Any 'left overs' on JellyBean?

If not, I'd say it's normal. Especially when growing. God would it feel thight with some old skin on me while growing out of it.. Lol
    Thanks, Marie. We all miss sHEila a lot, he was sure a special guy.

Sometimes Jelly has "frog gloves" (leg and foot skin) but those eventually come off in the water; he does quite a bit of soaking. I've helped him with a couple of shed removals by lightly brushing my wet nitrile glove on my index finger over him, the same way he'd wipe with his front foot or hind feet, while dripping water on him. His skin looks gorgeous, nothing weird, and he's not turning any strange color or anything. I think he's trying really hard to catch up with the other two...
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Banned
    Nationality
    [Canada]

That's strange that some of you have had incomplete sheds with your frogs.... I've never experienced anything like that! Betty and Spike always have great complete sheds, though whenever I catch one of them shedding, I like to mist their cage and the frog itself to make it easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If his shed is getting stuck, I'd bump up his humidity. Either by misting more often, covering the top 2/3 of the tank with glad press and seal, or running a humidifier to bring up the ambient humidity. All my greys (even when they were subadults) shed about once a week, usually after eating. I have no idea how often the reds shed, I rarely catch them!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    If his shed is getting stuck, I'd bump up his humidity. Either by misting more often, covering the top 2/3 of the tank with glad press and seal, or running a humidifier to bring up the ambient humidity. All my greys (even when they were subadults) shed about once a week, usually after eating. I have no idea how often the reds shed, I rarely catch them!
    My guys get something every day so that would be a lot of shedding! He does seem to be doing it every few days, however.I noticed his skin looking tight and dry when I came home today so took him out and dripped water on him, gave him a light brush with the glove and sure enough, the skin puckered and split. he started wiping at it with one foot and I peeled it down both sides of him. It just seems to be a thin normal shed. And I'm quite sure now he IS growing; he's taking up a lot more space in his little green dish now.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I don't mean they shed after every time they eat, they eat 3 times a week. I meant that when they do shed, it's usually after eating. Bumping the humidity will take care of that stuck shed on a regular basis though, he'll appreciate it.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    I don't mean they shed after every time they eat, they eat 3 times a week. I meant that when they do shed, it's usually after eating. Bumping the humidity will take care of that stuck shed on a regular basis though, he'll appreciate it.
    Lol, gotcha! Yup, I'm misting him way more now. No idea why his tank seems to dry out more than Shirl and Honey's (both tanks share the same light/heat source) except he has a single leaf "plant" in his tank instead of a multi-leaf one like the other guys, which shades the paper toweling more from the light (and therefore drying out?) Everything's fake though so who knows.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information