Thread: Froglets not eating

doganie

Default Froglets not eating

I have two froglets, one that I've had since it was a tadpole, and the other I caught when it was just starting to lose it's tail. Neither of them are eating the flightless fruit flies I bought them, and for the older one, it's been almost two weeks since it's completely lost it's tail. What do I do?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Froglets not eating

Don't do anything, just offer flies and when they are ready they will eat them.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They are looking OK so just give them some more time.

lnaminneci

Hello,

You have some very cute Pacific Chorus froglets there. They look to be coming along nicely.
    Have you gotten any pinhead crickets for them?

These are tiny baby crickets, which will be easy for them to eat. You want to make sure the crickets are not bigger than their mouth is wide. I have noticed that my Pacific Chorus frogs really enjoy crickets. Especially since they hop around and catch their attention. They love to hunt them.
    Between meals, put about 10 flightless fruit flies in with them and watch them. See if they try to hunt them. The froglets are very young and may take time to learn to catch their prey, but they learn quickly!

doganie

Thanks, I'm going to try to get some crickets soon. How long do you think it will take before they start eating? I don't want them to starve or anything.

lnaminneci

They should be eating soon. They may have already been eating without you seeing them. They are sneaky that way.
    Call some of your local petstores, most of them offer crickets in a variety of sizes, and see if they have pinhead crickets. If you cannot find them at your local petstores you can order them online.
    I also have a stash of flightless fruitflies to have on hand. Surprisingly I have not found it disgusting or smelly
    Your little guys will be chowing down soon!

Jace

Welcome to the Forum and very cute little frogs you have there! Lesley is absolutely correct-Pacific Chorus frogs can't resist food for long. Even if you aren't seeing them eat, they might be sneaking a bit here and there. I feed my PCF, Yoki, both by feeding tongs (calcium dusted crickets so I know he's getting his proper dose) and "free-range". Though I never see him hunt, he didn't get his Buddha belly by passing up grub! From your photos, your little ones are still okay. Best of luck and let us know how it's going!

Thread Information