Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swollen leg update, need advice!!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Swollen leg update, need advice!!

Good morning, just wanted to let the people that have been helping the last couple days with lillypad that I have found another herp vet close to were I live and im bringing her in today. This vet has 30 years experience with herps and exotic pets. Fingers crossed and I will let u know later what the diagnoses is. OH and lija I just seen your post from today and I will answer when I get back from the vet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Excellent! Ask vet a questions, specific ones.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Glad you found a vet better suited to the situation! Fingers crossed that the first one was wrong and this is something treatable.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [United States]

Good luck and let us know results. Right now I'm thinking probable internal infection, maybe caused by feeding accident injury.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

Im finally back from the vet, was there for 2 hours. And I got some bad news, its kidney failure. She said she is 99% sure of it. So this is how it went, she asked a whole bunch of questions about feeding, housing,handling and so on, pretty much most the questions in the trouble in the enclosure article. So after answering she determined all that was ok. So then I told her about the incident the night she tried to eat my tongs. She did an x-ray and a visual exam everything seemed ok, nothing broken or deformed. So now she went to the next step and she took some of the fluid out, she said her biggest worry would be if there is blood in it. No blood so that was good but the liquid still was very thick she said and there was some puss. She got her tech to look at it and she concluded that it was kidney failure due to something about a lot of cells and little protein in the fluid. I know that sounds weird but I got a head full of info today so its kinda hard to remember everything word for word. Does it make sense to you guys, if not I will call her back tomorrow and ask her about that part again. So then she took a lot of the fluid out with a needle, and gave me a prescription of antibiotics called enrofloxacin and said to soak her for the next week in it for 4hr a day and she will call me in a week and see how it is going and it is 500mg's. So she did/does have edema because of the kidneys. I asked if it could have been there the whole time and she said yes, I probably never noticed it till recently because now its hard to miss. If anything doesn't make sense I will answer any questions, just have to go walk the dog. I feel a lot better with this vet then the other, I think the other vet just wanted my money. She did nothing even close to what this vet did.

Nationality
    [United States]

On the bright side, it seems like you found a decent exotics vet. Sorry to hear that that's still the diagnosis though But yeah, everything you said just now makes sense. Hopefully your frog will be able to keep living a relatively normal life for awhile though?
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ya I hope she will be able to have somewhat of a life and not pass on me sooner then later. And lija if u read this tonight here are the answers to your other questions, I first really noticed the back leg a couple of weeks ago. Before the leg I noticed she looked a bit big under her chin but I thought being a pacman frog that it was probably just her fattening up. It was when I noticed the leg and put 2and 2 together and thought hey wait something isn't right. I clean her enclosure every month on the 20th, is that to long? And I don't why I picked that day I just did for some reason. When I clean out her terrarium I use this fluckers reptile terrarium scrub, I was told it was ok to use and I scrub everything with that then rinse everything off and out with hot water with reptisafe in it. I then dry everything off before putting it back. I use tapwater with reptisafe for everything water wise. And even though she doesn't go in the water dish I change it every day to every second day. If im doing something wrong please let me know, my cleanings take an eternity. Oh and when she drained the liquid today with the needle she took it from the leg and the side, and yes her left side was bad it wasn't just the picture. Oops im editing because I forgot something, she has never been a good pooper but when she does go it looks healthy. It comes out in one piece no diarrhea or super hard, just seems normal. last night was the first time she refused to eat, and that would have been her normal every 3rd night feeding. And I doubt shes going to want to eat tonight after everything she went through today. And she said to give her the antibiotics bath in something that will fit in the enclosure so she wont be as stressed and she will stay warm enough.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Ya I hope she will be able to have somewhat of a life and not pass on me sooner then later. And lija if u read this tonight here are the answers to your other questions, I first really noticed the back leg a couple of weeks ago. Before the leg I noticed she looked a bit big under her chin but I thought being a pacman frog that it was probably just her fattening up. It was when I noticed the leg and put 2and 2 together and thought hey wait something isn't right. I clean her enclosure every month on the 20th, is that to long? And I don't why I picked that day I just did for some reason. When I clean out her terrarium I use this fluckers reptile terrarium scrub, I was told it was ok to use and I scrub everything with that then rinse everything off and out with hot water with reptisafe in it. I then dry everything off before putting it back. I use tapwater with reptisafe for everything water wise. And even though she doesn't go in the water dish I change it every day to every second day. If im doing something wrong please let me know, my cleanings take an eternity. Oh and when she drained the liquid today with the needle she took it from the leg and the side, and yes her left side was bad it wasn't just the picture.
    Once a month cleaning is fine. With kidney damage you may want to try cleaning every two weeks? Since they can absorb toxins through their skin it might be worth looking into (someone who knows more about kidneys should chime in on this, because it makes sense in my head, but idk whether it'd actually benefit anything or not).

Everything else you mentioned sounds fine.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you so much, that makes me feel abit better. And ya the every 2 weeks cleaning actually sounds like a good idea. Do you think I should try and feed her tonight or do you think it would be pointless from all the stress today?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Thank you so much, that makes me feel abit better. And ya the every 2 weeks cleaning actually sounds like a good idea. Do you think I should try and feed her tonight or do you think it would be pointless from all the stress today?
    Don't think it'd hurt anything to offer food.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [Canada]

Cory! Im so happy you found a vet who knows what s/he is doing. After the first vet it sounded iffy, this time all i have to say the vet def. knows what s/he is doing. All the right tests and correct game plan, antibiotics is what I was about to suggest too.
    Whatever we can do over the Internet can't be compared to these specific tests that were done and the results that shows a problem.
    Keep that vet phone close and don't loose it, it is the one to keep!

Please keep us updating on lillypad condition, hope it will all work out for her and you. Let's it be a xmas miracle
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

I just want to thank everyone that's stuck with me the last couple days, and ya this vet even felt for tumors or any foreign masses in her stomach, and she told me NOT to put any water in the antibiotics. That other vet was clueless!! I will try and feed her tonight and will give an update in a week when the vet calls for a progress report. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hello, just wanted to let everyone know who was involved in this thread that lillypad is starting to look a lot better. It was 2weeks I was supposed to soak her and then if it wasn't doing anything she was going to try a different antibiotic. But thankfully it seems to be working. She is eating and standing a lot taller and seems a lot more alert. She still has some getting better to do but all and all she is looking like a different froggy. The first couple days she didn't even try to get out of the critter keeper when I put her in the antibiotics and the last 3 to 4 days she jumps at top and tries to get out and then calms down after about 15 mins. I will post some pictures of her when I get the first chance. I feel so bad having to dig her up everyday for the soak, but I guess I have to do what I have to do. Poor girl!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

At least she's improving! Great news and thanks for the update
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [Canada]

I know im so happy. And I know the edema will never be cured but if I can do this in the future if she swells up again at least I know it works. I know she will probably only be with me a short time but hey if I can make it a good one for her I guess that's all that counts.

Nationality
    [Canada]

So lillypad only has 1 more night after tonight to soak in her meds and she is done. It seems the last week she is up and down, and her back leg has started to swell abit again and she has went on hunger strike the last week or so. She has only had one small poop since Christmas and I know this isn't good, I don't know what to do. I tried giving her a honey bath for about ten minutes the other night but nothing and with her having the edema I wasn't sure if I should leave in her in there any longer then that. Im asking for help here before I try the vet because I have spent about $550 dollars since Christmas and i cant afford to go back right now unless i really have to, and even then i cant afford it but i will do what i have to do. She is still standing taller and moveing around abit more just the swelling seems to come and go. I really don't want to ask this but should i just bring her in and ask them to euthanize her or is there hope. I don't want to have to, is there is something else i can do to help her. Its just if she is pain or something i don't want her to live like that. I will not do this at home either, it would be done by a professional who knows what they are doing. If that's what it comes down to i believe she should go peacefully, not at home were something could go wrong.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Corey! How is Lillypad doing? These relapses can happen since kidney damage is irreparable .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hello Carlos, I am very saddened to say that she passed about a month ago. She went about a week after the meds were gone. She stopped eating and you could just tell by looking at her that she wasn't feeling good. I was going to bring her to the vet the to get her euthanized so it was done properly but one day that weekend before going when I went to dig her up she had passed on her own. It was very hard being our first frog, my kids were devastated, but since then we had got a new little albino named Groot. He eats good moves around all time, goes to water dish to soak and poops regularly. I got him from a different place then petsmart and from my observations this frog is way more healthy and active then Lillypad ever was, im almost certain she was sick the whole time and I didn't catch it soon enough.

Member needs to set country!

Cory, I am so sorry for your loss. You did your absolute best to help this little girl so please don't trouble yourself over not catching an illness soon enough. I am happy to see that you have an excellent vet if needed again. Congratulations on Groot! Post pictures of Groot. I'd love to see him and sure others will, too!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thank you, and when I get a chance to get some pictures I will post some. I have actually been meaning to get some now for about a month but he is a very timid little guy. I had to stop trying to tong feed him for the time being and just drop his food in front him because if he sees the tongs he runs back to his hole and buries and will not come back up for like 2 days. And he is just a baby and he needs to eat so I don't like when he goes M.I.A on me like that and if I dig him up it makes it worse. If I just leave him he likes me a lot more so I don't like to bug him, but when I get the first chance I will.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information