Thread: Swollen leg update, need advice!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Swollen leg update, need advice!!

So I just wanted to let my fellow froggers know I brought lillypad to the vet Friday and found out she has water edema due to her kidneys, the vet figures she probably got it from when she was being kept at petsmart. They had her in a critter keeper in the water dragons enclosure letting them run all over box, one of the reasons I decided to get her, and she wasnt at right temps or anything. So the vet pretty much told me there is not much she can do, and she is a lot more experienced with lizards and reptiles and when it comes to amphibians she sees more turtles then frogs. She said she was sure from the xray and exam that's what it was. She said she is still moving and eating and the only way to make her feel better would be to release the fluid, and she said she wasnt seeming to affected and uncomfortable by it so she recommended soaking her for a couple hours at home in some clean spring water and when I feel she isn't looking comfortable anymore to bring her back and she will release the water. She also said that after getting rid of the water swelling that it will come back and will have to be done again, so that's why she would rather wait till she is really not doing well. So all and all she is abit swollen but is still moveing. So my question is I don't know if I got the proper advice so I figured I would ask my fellow froggers what they thought and what I can do for her. Is she going to die on me soon? Im really upset about this and just don't know what to do. When I bathed her the other day she shrunk abit but about an hour later she just went back to the way she was. I soaked her for about an hour. Oh and when I go back to the vet she said since we already did the consultation already and know whats wrong and we are just waiting that she will do it for free since I paid friday so that's some good news. Any advice would great.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Swollen leg update, need advice!!

Sorry to hear that As far as the advice being good, no one on here knows more than a vet. Besides, soaking never hurts and the frogs seem to like it.

I would caution you that, from personal experience, you can end up spending a lot of money and still end up with a dead reptile or amphibian. The medical science just isn't all there for these animals. Sounds like you've got all that sorted out for now, but I'm just throwing it out there in case things start to get really expensive.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks, and ya the spending a lot of money thing is something she had mentioned and that's why she suggested to wait till it was worse. That way I wasn't paying for it Friday and then again a couple weeks down the road. Do you know how long they can live like this? I will everything in my power to try and give her the best life she can while she is still with me.

Nationality
    [United States]

idk how long they can live like that. I imagine it's like kidney failure in mammals; some can live for years with relatively few issues and some may only live two months.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks again, im going to do some research and find out as much as I can about it and see if there is anything I can do to help extend her life abit. And again if anyone else has any suggestions to little home remedies that I could do to help her please feel free to share. Im going to give her another soak tonight and I think im going to put some pedilyte in it, try to give her a little boost. I will only do the 1:1 ratio.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Cory! Sorry your frog is not doing well . The organ damage to kidney's (and probably Lymph Hearts) is irreversible and caused by long term exposure to cold temps. The edema (specially around rear legs) is a symptom revealing renal failure. In extreme cases drainage is required and only a trained vet should do that.

OK, now for the home remedies that can help. Keep temps 82-84F and let humidity drop a bit to the lower Pacman frog recommended range. Do not give bath to frogs in plain water; that will add to issue. Get some Epsom Salts at pharmacy and prepare a bath by adding 1 teaspoon per gallon of 80F dechlorinated tap. Let frog soak for 20 minutes daily and that should help with edema. Use a small critter keeper or plastic bowl with a holed up top for soaking filled to frog's chin level and cover with towel to reduce stress and keep water warm. Frog will get better from edema but be aware that organ damage is permanent and it will reduce it's normal lifespan. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information