Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New Arrival, Got Questions!

Cebby75

Exclamation A New Arrival, Got Questions!

Hello, I wanted to make a quick post with a couple of questions/concerns I have for my new pacman frog.
    I recently got him, yesterday the 28th to be exact. The terrarium is all set up properly to suite him, from what I've gathered.
    I know it may take him/her (haven't determined sex yet) some time to adjust with his new setting, however, when should I start to be concerned if he does not eat for sometime?
    Last night I placed a cricket in his tank, the suitable size. When I went to sleep that evening I noticed the cricket had not been eaten and it seemed as if my frog didn't care to pay much attention to it. However, when I woke up I did not see the cricket anywhere, assuming he ate it.
    He/she is a juvenile, about double the size of a quarter.
    My only concerns are that what if the cricket in actually just burrowed himself into the substrate, rendering him hidden to my and my pacman's eye.
    Also, I have read that it is best to take the pacman outside of his cage and put him in a separate container to be fed, but seeing as how I just obtained him I'm assuming it's best to let him adjust before handling him and replacing him in a container to eat.

I've tried researching my best online and just haven't found the right answers to my questions, so any feedback would be great especially from a more experienced pacman handler than myself!

Thanks guys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

hyla

Default Re: A New Arrival, Got Questions!

Let the frog adjust for a few days. It is most likely just getting a feel for things. Have you treated it for parasites yet? It is best to do this right away to give the frog a good start. If the frog hasnt eaten in a week or so and you notice other oddball behaviors like lethargy then I would start to be concerned. Also be careful to not let him ingest too much substrate because this can cause impactions.

Cebby75

Treatment for parasites? I was unaware of this, how would I go about doing so?

Also, I figured he just needed an adjustment period, he's a little under 2 months old, about 6-7 weeks.

He's been burrowed in the same spot for quite some time now a good 6-7 hours I'd say and hasn't seem to shifted much since very early this morning.

hyla

From what I understand they are not a very active frog and do spend most of their time burrowing. You can take the frog to the vet for parasite treatment or do it yourself by purchasing the meds online. There is not a vet around me that deals specifically w frogs but my reg vet is able to administer dewormers and such. There is information on here about what kind of meds and dosage for the weight of the frog you administer if you choose to do it yourself. All frogs have parasites and most of the time they live within the frog harmoniously. But if the frog gets stressed or ill, they can overtake the frog and weaken its immune system leading to a sad situation! So it is best to have it done just to be safe.

Cebby75

Okay, sounds good I'll have to get on that. Odd, I've never heard any mentioning of that before you brought it up. Good to know though.
    It's just stressful I know he's the new room mate and all but once I finally see him eat something for myself only then will I be able to relax!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I wouldn't bet on the parasite thing. Captive bred frogs generally don't have parasites, though those kept in pet stores in terrariums that have held other occupants may pick up parasites from the previous occupants.

One thing you should keep in mind is that these frogs often arrive stressed and sick at the pet store, or when purchased they are already on a slippery slope to death. If it hasn't eaten since you got it, I would definitely take it to a vet and see if the vet can diagnose it for a disease - bacterial septicemia is very common in Pacman frogs if they are suffering from extended periods of stress.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Cebby75

Okay, good to know. But I have had him for only a day, and I do believe he has eaten one cricket yet he's remained burrowed for about 8 hours now. Is this something to be worried about or is he indeed just adapting to his new environment?

I've heard periods of going without eating much is fairly common to new arrivals, so I didn't think it was something to be worried about just yet.

Also, I didn't purchase him from large corporate business like PetsMart/Petco etc. I got him from a local exotic pet store, where it's living conditions were much more suitable than I have seen at other sellers.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Did you ask them when he ate last? These frogs hide a lot - it's how they work. Give it optimal conditions and try feeding it every day or two and see if it responds. Don't let it go too long though - if it does have a health issue, it gets harder and harder for the frog to recover once a week or more has gone by.

Cebby75

Okay, thanks John.
    I'll just have to keep a close eye on him, he seems to be more receptive at night anyways.
    Makes sense, they are nocturnal and all...haha.

Thanks again appreciate the help!

Cebby75

It's the next day, my pacman has revealed itself and come out of burrowing however he still has yet to eat again. Is it possible he's just full?
    It's only been two days since I've had him and the day I got him the store said he had eaten that day, is this something I should still be concerned about or should I let it run its course a bit longer?

Cebby75

Also, thought I would mention besides from the seeming hunger strike, his/her coloring is superb. It isn't cloudy, very clear. Also doesn't seem to be underweight or emaciated.
    When the feeder crosses his path however there still isn't any sign of interest.
    Am I just being a worry-wart or should I be concerned?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Personally I would worry - these frogs are more delicate than people think.

googie

Cebby75:

Sounds like all the advice given has been great. Again remember these frogs are relatively sedentary. My ornate rarely exposes himself unless I missed a feeding. I feed him every two days at this point. In my case, I place my guy in a separate feeder box to do so, yet these fellows can be grumpy and you would not want to further stress them out. Another way to avoid impaction is to place the food in his or her water dish, and then subsequently clean it out after he or she is done.

Perhaps to stimulate your frogs appetite you may want to try a different food source. Super Mealworms are well liked by these fellows (should not be used as a staple food source), and this may get your little guy going. My ornate went through stages, first he loved waxworms (again not a good staple diet) then he loved crickets, then he loved red wigglers, then it was supermealworms, now he is back to crickets and red wigglers. Changing the diet up is wise anyhow, as a variety will provide a healthier frog.

Hope this helps

Chris

Cebby75

Okay sounds good to me guys, he seems to be starting to come out of his shell now, looking more lively and less timid as time goes.
    Thank you very much for all the feedback much appreciated!

Also, I am unable to post a pic right now, but if any of you have any ideas as to what type of horned frog I have that would be cool

He/she has a light green shade for it's base color, and reddish/brown spots are scattered through out. From what I've learned I'm leaning towards a cranwelli. I've also heard out of the subspecies cranwelli are less aggressive eaters than the others. He does seem to enjoy his privacy while eating however, because during the wee hours of the night is when he gobbles down his feeders.

So like I said if you guys have any ideas till I can post a pic that would be great!

Cebby75

One more addition, the froglet is about 1 1/2 inches, if he maybe isn't attracted to crickets on the menu, what would be the next alternative I could try with him?
    I've read up about different types of feeder worms, which brought to my attention that the chitin on worm can cause impaction ( or something along those lines ).
    The other thing with this, if I were to purchase say silk worms, do they need to be live? Or will pre-killed still do the trick?

Sorry for all my questions
    just trying to get it all in!

Once more thanks again guys
    -Phil

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by Cebby75 View Post
    Also, I am unable to post a pic right now, but if any of you have any ideas as to what type of horned frog I have that would be cool
    Cranwelli are the most commonly available/sold so that would be my guess.

One more addition, the froglet is about 1 1/2 inches, if he maybe isn't attracted to crickets on the menu, what would be the next alternative I could try with him?
    Nightcrawlers are a good idea - maybe chop one in two because the froglet is small.

I've read up about different types of feeder worms, which brought to my attention that the chitin on worm can cause impaction ( or something along those lines ).
    Mealworms are fine as a treat but not as a staple food.

The other thing with this, if I were to purchase say silk worms, do they need to be live? Or will pre-killed still do the trick?
    These frogs prefer live food - you'll have an easier time getting them to eat with live food. The exception is mice - they will eat those dead or alive because of the smell.

Cebby75

Okay, wonderful!
    Now with the night crawlers, should I worry about them digging themselves into the substrate and hiding from the frog?
    Because in the past I've had a similar experience with my box turtle and meal worms.
    Should I try "tong-ing" the nightcrawler to him at first?

Once again much appreciated John!

TypingMonkey

Yes you should tong feed the nightcrawlers because they will hide in the substrate forever if you let them. Try and feed the nightcrawlers so when your frog lunges he gets the nightcrawler on the first try. Frogs are basically far sighted. Your frog can't really see anything up close to his nose, so he relies on his sense of smell and touch to catch the prey if it's close to him. I've found just dropping the worms in front of him to be effective, because the worm graces him when it drops down and triggers his mouth to open and then he gets a feel for where the worm is and gets it. This is easier then holding the worm for him horizontally because the worms will sometimes droop and frog will take forever to take the worm, or sometimes they will lunge and get nothing but steel, but it sometimes works. You will have to learn how your frog reacts and might take you some time to get the feeding just right.

Usually when they want to eat they will come up to the surface. I don't pick mine up from the dirt and feed him or put him in a container to feed him because I think it causes too much stress. Also when they go completely under, they come back up even fatter and usually they sleep during that time and get some much needed rest.

Cebby75

Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate all the feedback
    I'm happy to say he's doing much better, he seems to be thriving now. He holds a hearty appetite and fulfills the roll of his pacman self.
    As I've been paying closer attention lately, his colors are even better than what I initially thought. He's the colors of the Irish flag! haha, he's a medly of lime green orange and white outline, he just gets even neater as the days go bye!

Thanks again all

Hmm this is a late response but uhh here it goes.

Whenever you have a picky eater, try enticing it with some earthworms. Night crawlers, red wrigglers works. Try getting stuff that just thrash about ont he same place. Also you could try roaches. But be aware that pacmans like to burrow alot. Even if its not stress. Its just going to be burrowed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information