Thread: Lighting

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Lighting

Good evening, I had a quick question about bulbs I was hopeing someone could help me out with? I was thinking my fbt's don't have enough light knowing that they say they like there light and I notice others either have more then one dome on their tank or one of the long lights like on a fish tank. At the moment I have one light on them which is a zilla basking daylight, it is a 50 watt and I have it situated right in the middle of the tank. My question is I have a desk lamp handy I can use for some more light and I was wondering what the highest watts I could is. Is a 60 watt soft white or a 13 watt energy saving bulb to bright? If so what u recommend, I don't want to blind the poor guys and girls.
    Last edited by monster; December 18th, 2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: add information

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bucknetbucky

Default Re: Lighting

I have 2 1 watt 10K LED's that light mine. They grow plants like crazy and give way more than enough light for my guys. Tank is 36" X 12" X 18"(height). Hooled them to an old PC power supply given that they are 12 volt. Entire light setup cost me about $20 which included the power supply, LED's, heatsinks and fans. Used the old style processor heatsink and fan setup and high temp siliconed the LED's to them. They do not however emit a lot of heat (except for about 2 inches in front) but then my place is always really warm so I don't need an external source.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks for the reply Bucknetbucky, I ended up going with the 13 watt bulb. Works good and gives off no heat which is what I was aiming for.. I really like the sound of your setup and your enclosure looks really nice (seen the pictures in your other thread you started), I was wondering if you could put a picture of the top of your tank so I can see what and how you have the lights on there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

bucknetbucky

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Thanks for the reply Bucknetbucky, I ended up going with the 13 watt bulb. Works good and gives off no heat which is what I was aiming for.. I really like the sound of your setup and your enclosure looks really nice (seen the pictures in your other thread you started), I was wondering if you could put a picture of the top of your tank so I can see what and how you have the lights on there.
    For sure I can get you a pic. The picture in the other thread only had the one LED wired up, I will be wiring the second tonight so as soon as that is done I will get the pic. I will also post a photo of the LED's themselves so that you can see what they are as well.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sounds good, and thanks again.

bucknetbucky

Well here are the pics ... sorry I was late I had some things going on that I needed to take care of.

The LED setup ....
    Name:  20141220_113817.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  17.9 KB

Name:  20141220_113758.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  24.6 KB

And the lights and supply on the top of the tank .. (Still have to cut the hole for the LED on the right lol)
    Name:  20141222_094851.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  11.7 KB

If you need anything else just let me know.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks Bucknetbucky, I will more then likely rig up something similar after Christmas.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can use additional lighting as long as it does not heat up tank above the frog's temperature parameters. For observation daylight type bulbs are fine. If there are natural plants; then use bulbs rated at around 6K Kelvin color.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information