Thread: WTF and Crestie Terrariums

Stardust369

Default WTF and Crestie Terrariums

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a dilemma with upgrading my terrariums. I live in a small apartment and I only have 1 large cabinet and 1 small cabinet to put terrariums on. Right now I have my Whites Tree Frog in an 18x18x24, which he has lived in for almost 2 years. I just got a crested gecko about 3 weeks ago and am temporarily housing him in a 20-gallon fish tank (with a screen lid) on top of a skinny and fairly flimsy cabinet. I obviously need to upgrade him to a taller home when he grows, but I don't know what is best with the little space I have. Ideally, I would like to put each of them in an 18x18x24, but I don't have a cabinet or anything to put the second large viv on.

My options are:
    1. to get a 12x12x18 for the crestie, and keep my Whites Tree Frog where he is now.
    2. to get a 12x12x18 for the Whites Tree Frog (downgrade him to a smaller house since his buddy that was in the 18x18x24 with him passed away) and move the crestie to the larger 18x18x24.
    3. to get another 18x18x24 and just keep it on the floor somewhere. (or buy a small tv cabinet, but I'm trying not to spend a lot of money all at once)
    4. to leave both where they are until I get a bigger apartment.

In your opinion, which option would be best (or suggest another option)? I'm trying to save money while also making my animals comfortable.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: WTF and Crestie Terrariums

Well... What size is your crestie?
    adult crestie needs 18x18x24 tank, but you can't put the tank this big a tiny baby, thus my question. Given you got it 3 weeks ago it might be still small. so depending on your answer I can advise further. 20 gal might be too big too.

Whites- don't do anything, this size is good for one frog, smaller tank will be too small for the guy. Besides he used to his home, don't change it.m
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Stardust369

My crestie wasn't a baby when I got him, I'm not sure how old he is but someone guessed a few months to a year. Here's a size reference photo with my knee.
    Name:  20141213_213612.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  50.0 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

Knees can be different cresties go by weight, yours looks to be subadult, im guessing about 25-30g? Pls confirm.
    if that so it can be about 1.2-1.5y old depending on a genetics and food.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Stardust369

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Knees can be different cresties go by weight, yours looks to be subadult, im guessing about 25-30g? Pls confirm.
    if that so it can be about 1.2-1.5y old depending on a genetics and food.
    If I had to guess I would say about 20-25 grams (based on comparing weight to different jars I have). Would you suggest an 18x18x24 or is she still too young for a home that large?
    EDIT: She's pretty much 5 1/2 inches long including tail.

Nationality
    [Canada]

At 25g crestie can handle bigger spaces, but no need to upgrade her tank just yet.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Well... What size is your crestie?
    adult crestie needs 18x18x24 tank, but you can't put the tank this big a tiny baby, thus my question. Given you got it 3 weeks ago it might be still small. so depending on your answer I can advise further. 20 gal might be too big too.

Whites- don't do anything, this size is good for one frog, smaller tank will be too small for the guy. Besides he used to his home, don't change it.m
    Bad idea to get an animal before making sure you can accomodate him...!
    I wouldn't move the WTF.
    Crestie might be alright in that 20gal until it gets bigger.. you'll want a second 18x18x24. they should go for 50$ on craiglist and im sure you can find a literally FREE cheap piece of furniture for the tank.

Stardust369

Quote Originally Posted by FwoGiZ View Post
    Bad idea to get an animal before making sure you can accomodate him...!
    No need to make me feel badly about getting an animal... I CAN accommodate him, I am just trying to figure out the best way to do so with my resources.
    Of course I will make sure he has the right size terrarium, in the end I don't care how much it costs, but if there is a more cost-effective method than buying a bunch of new stuff I'd like to find it. Since he is still small and still adjusting to his new living space, I won't be moving him soon anyways.

Nationality
    [Canada]

And you are right. Crestie better be in smaller tank then in too big one. its always better not to rush into things or getting furniture that you don't need and might need to be upgraded. Im sure you'll figure that out.

One q though - do you have your 20 gal as vertical or horizontal?

Thread Information