Thread: "Kennel Syndrome" in Frogs...?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question "Kennel Syndrome" in Frogs...?

I was just wondering if anyone knows if frogs can exhibit traits similar to dogs with kennel syndrome when they are housed from babyhood to almost adulthood in a too small tank with no stimulating environment? Martha spends all her time in the mornings in her cocohut and she spends all her time in the evenings hidden in one small space between her resin "monolith" and the water dish (I take the hut out at night to try and get her to move around). She was on substrate with a hide in a very short, small square tank at Petco and she just does not act like a tree frog. She doesn't even climb up her fake rock thing with plants-- I saw her do that only once, when we first got her home; she was mooshed between it and the back of the tank, until I moved the thing away from the glass. She keeps ducking her head and acting like she wants to crawl under something. She's eating well, I feed her every other day, but her last poo was on Dec 7th, so I don't know what to think about that. Folks tell me her big belly is normal for a near adult Whites Tree Frog and she doesn't look fat to them, but my other guys don't have big baggy bellies... they are younger sub-adults though, and as far as I know still have cocci (they still have loose poo so...) I've been switching up feeders between waxworms, earthworms and crickets (tried dubia but they don't seem able to digest them well) and the Metronidazole dosage was upped for their wts, so they do seem to be putting on some more wt/size finally, which is good.
    Name:  DSC01837.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  142.7 KBShirley and Sir Honey-Lime during evening feeding session
    Name:  DSC01877.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  151.3 KBJelly Bean during a shed the other night

Maybe I'm just paranoid, I don't know. I wonder if Martha will snap out of this "duck and cover" attitude when she gets into a nice sized Exo-terra at the end of her QT...

Name:  DSC01742.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  151.2 KBName:  DSC01756.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  143.6 KBName:  DSC01755.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  138.8 KBName:  DSC01754.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  132.3 KBMartha
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Kennel Syndrome" in Frogs...?

Give it time. I've noticed almost the same thing with Bonk, except that he climbs. Like Martha I got him after he was 2'' and he spent his time in a tiny Petco tank. He spends most of the day hiding on the wall behind a plant. But he does climb. Not climbing is a little worrying. Do you think she might have a calcium problem? More likely she's only still adjusting.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They said at the store they dusted the crickets once a week, and I'm giving her reptocal w/ cal/D3 once a week and vits on another day of the week so that shouldn't be it. I noticed her hing legs don't seem to be as well developed as some WTFs I've seen, probably because she isn't "upwardly mobile" (so to speak). She can hop and can crawl pretty darn fast when she wants to get away from me, but other then that she wants to be a ground dweller seemingly :O
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

We have poop! 8 days after the last one and we have a nice big healthy on dry land poop, so I'll be mailing that off to Repti-Labs soon as I figure out how they want that done. That's a relief... to both of us I'm sure
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They will come out more when they are in a planted tank with lots of hiding spots. They'll feel safer and know that there are many hiding spots in close proximity and be out a lot more often.

Here is a good dusting schedule for you to look at also - http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

7. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Thread Information