Thread: Whats for dinner!?

d75erica

Default Whats for dinner!?

I'm looking for more food options for LunchBox. Iv'e had her for 7 months and we are guessing she is somewhere around 7 years.
    Whats the average age pacman get to in captivity?
    Her current diet is mainly Anole Lizards and full grown mice. We normally get 1-2 mice and 3 anoles every shopping trip, she eats the mice right away and the Anoles live with her until she hunts them down. She will lets the lizards hangout with her for at least a month sometimes two before going after them.
    I'm looking for more options. The mice are easy to find but I've read should only be used as snacks. I've also read things saying mice can lead to problems with eye sight? Anyone have info on this?
    The Anoles are getting hard to find because I only have two pet shops that sell them, and they don't want to hear you are using them as feeders.
    I've tried night crawlers and crickets but she isn't interested, I think they are to small and a waist of time to climb out of her comfy hole.

Any food ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Whats for dinner!?

First off that is very unhealthy for your frog feeding food like that. The problem with eye sight is they have liver and kidney problems, the amount of fat that can cause then serious heath problems. Feeding then that is like feeding a frog a few 4x4s at In n out I would try feeding dubia roaches since nightcrawlers weren't accepted, have you tried tong feeding the nightcrawlers?

0.0.1 PCf
    Soon to come 0.0.4 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

d75erica

She gets very upset when you try hand feeding her, she will spin around in her hole and dig her mouth into the dirt.
    I've thought about the roaches but only recently found a place with them, we make town runs once a month so I haven't been able to get any. How many would you feed and how often?

Nationality
    [United States]

Like Strider said, that's a very unhealthy diet. You should probably avoid adult mice altogether. Just one pinkie as a treat about once a month is the most mammal protein they should get. Also, it's a very bad idea to leave the anoles in with the frog. In addition to stressing the frog it will eventually end in an accident like the frog being scratched or something.
    I'd recommend trying nightcrawlers again and just rubbing the worm against the frog's face until it gets annoyed and bites it. Once they realize the worms are actually food they usually will start taking them. Another option for treats would be f/t silversides. The fat content isn't as bad as mice.
    3.0 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    1.1 Thamnophis cyrtopsis ocellatus
    0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

d75erica

I understand its not the best diet, that's why I'm here asking. When I adopted her she was eating more mice then lizards. I've cut her back she gets mice I'd say once every three months. The worms are a sore spot. I started a worm bed in hopes I wouldn't have to go to the store so often, I try 2 or 3 times a week and every time she gets upset and turns around.
    I'm not really worried about the lizards stressing Boxy out. She has had at least one in there with her whole life, the scratching I could understand but again she is very used to these little guys and is very quick to teach them who's boss.
    Silversides... Would I be able to raise those? The far side of her tank is water I could raise them there, that would give her new hunting grounds!
    Any other ideas? I know the mice and lizards aren't best, I have limited resorses because of where I live and would like to give her better options.

d75erica

Silversides seem to be salt water fish.. Another place says silverside is the name of small schooling fish, so it could be many different types of fish.. Anyone know?
    Is there another fish I could raise to feed?
    You say it's not as fatty as the mouse meaning its still pretty high in fat? I need a staple food she will eat...

Nationality
    [United States]

First off, you really do need to remove the lizards. I don't care how long the frog has been around them, two animals of different species trapped in a tank together WILL stress each other out. Problem is a stressed frog looks identical to a calm happy one until it ends up getting sick or hurt. Seriously, no one will say it's a good idea to have them together.

Silversides can be purchased in packages for f/t feeding. Not really an appropriate staple food but good as treats. You probably want to stay away from feeding live fish. Anything coming from petstore feeder or bait stock is almost certainly going to have parasites. Plus, depending on the species many feeder type fish (especially if they have red or yellow coloration) contain thiaminase which can cause brain damage and even death in many reptiles and amphibians.
    Mine loves silversides. I think it's the strong smell.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [United States]

1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

d75erica

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Silversides can be purchased in packages for f/t feeding.
    What is f/t?
    Package fish sounds frozen.. She seems to hate being hand fed..

Okay so progress report.. Take out lizards/ mice and fish should be snacks. I'm going to continue worms but after 6months of trying to annoy her with them ( just like it was sugested) she isnt amused. I'm interested in the roaches, not going to be able to raise them but I do have a friend with tarantulas I may be able to get them from.
    Now what Do I feed her? For staple not snacks

Nationality
    [United States]

Have crickets already been suggested? If you're not doing worms and you don't have dubias yet, that's about it. Until then I'd say the fish would be better than lizards/mice, but switch to crickets/dubias/nightcrawlers (those are the only staples I can think of right now) as soon as possible. She's probably got plenty of reserves right now, so you might have to wait till she gets quite hungry before she'll take new prey.

Yes the fish is frozen (f/t means frozen/thawed). Another staple option that I don't have any experience with but some people seem to like is Zoomed or Samurai pacman food which (from what I can gather) is a powder that you can mail-order and you mix it with water. But that's less similar to live prey than the fish so probably not what you'd want.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

d75erica

I haven't tried feeding crickets in a while, I feed them to the lizards so they are in there( short term, I dont let crickets wonder much) she doesn't show interest.. they are really small for her so I don't think shes interested.
    This is going to be interesting all the 'staple' foods are things she doesn't want.. I think the roaches are going to be my best option, just need to find them

Nationality
    [United States]

Being used to the larger prey, I imagine you'll have to let her get pretty hungry before you can convince her to take any of those staples.
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

d75erica

How many roaches and how often would you feed?
    Is there anything special I should be doing for her age? Almost all the info you find on PACs is for the small young ones.. She's isn't small or young.

Nationality
    [United States]

Depends on the size of the roach. The different life stages for the dubia roaches have a pretty vast size difference, so it'll depend on what size dubias you're working with. There's a rule that's something like as much as they'll eat in a certain number of minutes, but it's escaping me right now. Hopefully someone who remembers it will reply (you can also do a search on here, it's been mentioned in loads of threads)
    1.0 Litoria caerulea
    0.1 Terrapene carolina
    0.1 Python regius
    0.1 Grammostola rosea
    0.0.1 Brachypelma smithi
    0.1 Hogna carolinensis

Nationality
    [Canada]

As much as they can eat in a 15min window
    Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Depends on the size of the roach. The different life stages for the dubia roaches have a pretty vast size difference, so it'll depend on what size dubias you're working with. There's a rule that's something like as much as they'll eat in a certain number of minutes, but it's escaping me right now. Hopefully someone who remembers it will reply (you can also do a search on here, it's been mentioned in loads of threads)

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

You may be having difficulty with the worms if they aren't Canadian night crawlers, which I know are hard to raise at home. Your typical worm will taste and smell bad to the frog. I really like dubias, much easier, less smell, and basically no escapees compared to crickets. You should be able to mail order some, but I would be cautious of it this time of year, depending on how remote you are in Alaska, and the current weather, they might not survive the trip.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Everybody has given a great advise already. I'll add a bit.
    get Pacman food, powdered one, you can mix a ball in a size of a mouse, as a variety this food is convenient, but nightcrawlers are the best staple. You don't need to run to the store a lot, just get more at a time, add some dirt and put in a fridge. I have kept mine at one time for 8 months., but I ordered online a very big quantity.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Where in Alaska are you?

Thread Information