Thread: Whites and a red-eyed tree frog cohabitating?

SSGT500

Exclamation Whites and a red-eyed tree frog cohabitating?

I've got an 85g tank and one White's Dumpy Tree frog. My question is this: If I were to purchase a Red-eyed Tree frog, would I be able to house the Dumpy along with the Red-eyed TF and have them cohabitate comfortably together? Would that pose a problem to either of the two? By-the-way, my Dumpy is approximately 1 and a half inches in length. Please help.

bshmerlie

Default Re: Whites and a red-eyed tree frog cohabitating?

The consensus on the forum here is never to mix species. Everyone's got a million reasons but I would think the biggest reason for you to not mix your dumpy with Red Eye is that your dumpy could get to about 4 inches and the Red Eye could be half that size. I have a tank of Red eyes and they're kind a dainty frogs, thin frogs. That's not how I would describe a full grown dumpy. They're more outgoing and bulky. It would be like the nerd having to be a roommate with the jock. I say keep it all nerds or keep it all jocks. Because the nerd doesn't like to be the football.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Bshmerlie is exactly correct: red eyes = food for White's.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

bshmerlie

SSGT500, I would love to see a picture of your 85gal setup. With that size tank you could have such a cool colony of Whites. That would be so cool to have a group of them bouncing around in a tank that size. It seems the bigger the tank the more they move around and use it.

Froggyfrog92

Hello everyone,

im new to the forum and have a similar question about cohabitating species. I have a northern gray treefrog and an American green tree frog. I know when it comes to mixing species, better safe than sorry. But since these frogs have some overlap in their natural habitat in the U.S. and both love climbing I was wondering what your thoughts were. I have a 4 foot by 2 foot tall mounted wall terrarium and would love to get both my little climbers in there.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

As someone with a mixed species 55g viv. Do Freaking Not Do It. And all mine is are flippin green anoles and long tail grass lizards. 2years strong and they are ALL breeding and laying eggs. Its so much work man, daily glass cleanings, poopie patrol(bacteria and disease for a a different species), feeding issues... god i could go on.... Frogs have such thin delicate skin to begin with. Everything down to the frogs natural bacteria in its skin can cause disease in the other one. Food differences and pecking order, size, would they cross each other in nature? No. Man oh man. I could go on. This is compiled after years and years of keeping every critter there is.... Yes while astetically pleasing, please god dont. Responsibility to the animals health should be priority #1

Yeah i had a mixed tank.
    What happened?
    After 4 years they all died.
    Meanwhile life expectancy was 10-15 years.
    Please dont man

Thread Information