Thread: I need help creating a water function in my 36 x 18 x 36 et. any help would be great

Chris Cunningham

Cool I need help creating a water function in my 36 x 18 x 36 et. any help would be great

Hey everyone, I really love this group and I think it's great how you all help one another out, so I'm hoping that some of you won't mind helping me out as well with some information.I am new to this hobby. However, I am in love with it and have done a lot of extensive research over the past year.I am a quadriplegic, paralyzed from the neck down , and this hobby really entertains me. I have already created a Sri Lanka exo terra rain forest habitat that is flourishing with my three blue azureus (I will post a video or photos later) and now I am beginning a new build of a 36 x 18 x 36 exo terra, which I just received last week that I am planning to put a couple of morning geckos in the upper levels and a group of French New Guinea dwarf Cobalt's on the terrestrial level. my list of supplies is vast As I have been ordering $200-$300 worth of supplies every month for the last six months in preparation.including a 3-D background fromwww.Universalrocks.com , as well as some of their decor . What I need help with is this… In my smaller vivarium. We have to constantly change the water source, because we use a repti rock dish and I want to keep it clean water source.I would like to find a solution to this, such as how to create a small pond Or shallow stream with a filter/waterfall pump system that would be easily maintained.any help would be absolutely great, as I do have a friend who works in the local pet shop that is helping me with my build and I have several ideas on how to create the pond. I'm just not sure how feasible . They are and I am hoping to borrow from some of your extensive knowledge on the Hobby. thank you all in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: I need help creating a water function in my 36 x 18 x 36 et. any help would be great

hey Chris, welcome to the forum. instead of just tossing ideas out, how about we start off with what your ideas are and we go from there? water features are so abstract, there's just not one single way to do it.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Chris Cunningham

Default Re: I need help creating a water function in my 36 x 18 x 36 et. any help would be great

Thanks for replying Bill! I'm definitely going to do a waterfall, because I've got this amazing background so I need to figure out how to go about making a small pond That would preferably be separated from the substrate so that I do not have flooding issues. I would really like you have it in one of the back corners, and also have a waterfall on the other back corner that could possibly travel through a stream into the pond. the idea that I have (and I'm sure there are better and easier ways of doing it. Which is why I'm asking) would be to silicone. Some pieces of acrylic in the back corner to create a water area that would be separated from the substrate. However, in terms of creating a stream from one end to the other I am pretty clueless. I really wish there was some sort of pre-fabricated shallow river system or pond that I could use and place my substrate around it

ya know those hamster tubes, habitrails? some come split lengthwise so there are 2 pieces. you may be able to use something like that as a "gutter" or stream. being plastic, they can be heated over a stove and melted and formed as well. not sure if that works with what you have planned, but it may. you could also use a small piece of pond liner to channel water through
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF Chris! One of the issues with water systems in enclosures is that water is not particularly obedient and goes where it's not supposed to. Main thing in your build is to ensure the lowest height of your soil is above the highest water level of your wet area. Other things to think about are that the waterfall filter or pump location is reachable for servicing if inside the enclosure or that it will provide sufficient flow if located outside enclosure near floor level. Another material you can use to make your stream is pond expanding foam since it can be carved and is waterproof and non-toxic once dried.

Recommend provide a couple pics (1 from front, 2nd from 45 degrees left and 3rd the same from right) of the enclosure with background so maybe Bill and other experienced builders can get a better feel for what you are planning to do. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information