Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvelous Martha!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Marvelous Martha!

Here she is, finally! I was up winning a late night frog book auction on eBay, so decided to post these pics before finally hitting the sack, lol... Will post more about her and a video tomorrow when I'm coherent

Name:  Marvelous Martha Unboxing_12.2.14.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  47.5 KBUnboxing...
    Name:  Marvelous Martha Collage1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  69.8 KBand in her QT tank.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Marvelous Martha!

The fifth frog?
    She looks very happy! Congrats?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Looking good ir! The frog I mean

0.0.1 PCf
    Soon to come 0.0.4 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

FrogOverlord

She's beauty, she's grace.... She's Miss United States! (I just had to )

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

LOL, guys!

Yup, frog number 5... didn't expect another THIS soon! To think, thought it would be a blue eyed, or a honey blue eyed, or another more snow flakey snow flake Was saying to my dad that I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to the big reptile con in January, get tempted by something and then wind up bringing it home in the cold... the day I brought Martha home it was 36 F! You should have seen the looks on their faces at the store when I bummed a plastic tub off them (instead of that idiotic little cardboard box they usually give folks), and then a cricket box, and then the big box the boxes of crickets came in-- heck I even scored some not quite depleted warm packs, heh. And on top of all that I wrapped the little box in my scarf and then in my coat... froze my butt off going out to the car with that big bundle for one little fat frog, but it was worth it! Glad I had heat in the car...

I made a QT set up to her liking too. She'd only been in that little Petco tank for who knows how long, came in as a baby so a few months?? (I'm going to have to call them back and see if they have the records). No decor other then a water dish and a sort of bridge type hide thing. Now she has a fake monolithic type rock piece of decor, and leaves, and a coconut hut... I heard her answering back briefly to Honey and sHEila when they were serenading this morning, hehehe. So that, and her bullet like reflexes as she shot out of the hut to grab crickets, tells me she's settling in pretty good sounds like.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ok, well I know she's only been here three days, but Martha eats and then hides in her hut. She is F A T! I feel mean but I'm going to take her coconut hut out for the night... she needs to move around the tank and go take a soak. I'm concerned because their are crickets loose in the tank and she already grabbed the darn paper towels while going after a cricket D: I was there and had to put my finger over her nostrils to get her to release them :/ I hope she doesn't do that while I'm not there to watch. They fed a few crickets, tried 304 per frog the lady said, but from the looks of it Martha got the lion's share! At her age I'm going to start feeding her every other day or every 3... Lord knows she has enough pudge to keep her going that long.

I'm not wrong taking her cocohut out just for the night am I? She acted like, "Omg... where's the roof, I need something to put my head under--I know I'm a burrowing frog that was switched at the egg stage! Cover me!" Oog... she still has some fake leaves she could hind under if she wants. It's strange to have a WTF that thinks she's a Pacman! Honey-Lime, on the other hand, thinks he's one of those arboreal aerialists or something... I was cleaning the cage after giving he and Shirl their crickets, and the little booger kept climbing up the glass and trying to make a get away. At one point I thought he was going to make a leap for the 60 watt light and I'd have a burned frog, little fiend!

EDIT: Meh, I wussed out and gave her the hut back. Don't want to stress her, she has only been here a few short days after all. I think I'll take it out for a few mins every night though just so she will go move around a bit, but then I'll put it back. Decided to do so after she tried to get under the decorative plants on the OUTSIDE of the tank-- didn't want any nose rubs!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Name:  DSC01754.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  132.3 KBName:  DSC01755.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  138.8 KBName:  DSC01756.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  143.6 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [Canada]

She has her belly. But I don't think she is fat, she is perfect.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    She has her belly. But I don't think she is fat, she is perfect.
    Should I continue to feed her every day though or go to every other day? I woke up at 5:30 A.M. to use the "little room" (loo) and saw the darn paper towel messed up in the corner of the tank again, meaning another battle with it and a cricket... Checked it and no missing bits, then pulled the cocohut and checked Martha, she seemed fine. 1 hr later I had to get up to help my mother, and the paper towels were messed up for a THIRD time! Again, pulled the cocohut and checked Martha. This time I put a couple fake leaves in the corner, so if a cricket crawls through there she will hit those instead of grabbing paper towel. So I went to put the cocohut back over her and as I did, I don't know if I pinched a toe or something (I sure hope not) but she let out a loud MEH!!! Scared the **** out of me, lol... she's peeved and telling me off in no uncertain terms!

Going to see if I can get some more sleep, it's already 6:35 A.M and I went to bed at 1:00... bleh
    Mom to these fine frogs!

I would feed her every other day as she is a sub adult. Its weird that she is trying so hard to catch crickets. Have you thought if bowl feeding her to prevent this? It may not be the best idea for whites but it would be better than her eating paper towels.

0.0.1 PCf

Here's where I come out with the "radical" approach. Once my white's became sub adults, around 2.5" or so, I started feeding them weekly. I know, this goes against every thing every care sheet says, but it worked for me. For one, I knew they were hungry, so if one didn't eat, I knew there was a problem. It also saved me time doing chores. I was running about 10 tanks at the time. Both frog and planted aquariums, so the time saver helped.

That being said, I would definitely go with a more spread out schedule.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

14. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strider18 View Post
    I would feed her every other day as she is a sub adult. Its weird that she is trying so hard to catch crickets. Have you thought if bowl feeding her to prevent this? It may not be the best idea for whites but it would be better than her eating paper towels.

0.0.1 PCf
    Oh believe me, she's not trying hard, the girl is an assassin! I had the bowl in there, but I only had room for a little rectangular baking dish that was a bit longer than her. She first was trying to get them through the glass, then I put her in and she pounced and gobbled up a couple crickets and a dubia (think that one was accidental). She then climbed out of the dish onto her "monolith", but turned around, saw the bugs again and face dived on them a second time. She sat for a minute and that's when some climbed up her back, got onto the leaves and made their escape. The part with the paper towel grabbing came later... her cocohut is in the front corner facing the back corner, and when the crickets came down that way opposite her hut she would lunge out and grab them, but she also got the paper toweling in the corner at the same time! That happened three times, but since I put the fake leaves in the corner the paper towels have been undisturbed.

Due to the coccidiosis and loose stool I've been feeding the other 4 every day, well almost. Honey and Shirley are on a daily feeding at this point and sHEila every other day; Jelly Bean gets fed every other day too if she(he?) looks too stuffed from the feeding before. For instance last night Honey and Shirl had a few crickets, the night before everyone got earthworm, and Jelly still looked pretty plump so I opted to give her a day off.

With a multi-set up like Bill's I think it would be beneficial to have everyones feeding schedules (if they differ) to be posted right on/near the tank! Heck, I only have 3 tanks and should do the same thing, lol (the schedule is posted on my desktop)
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Whiteboards!! Whiteboards are key!! Chalkboards too!! Lol

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Whiteboards!! Whiteboards are key!! Chalkboards too!! Lol

I was thinking the same thing! I do have a whiteboard, now to just find it... heh
    Mom to these fine frogs!

I have 2 whiteboards in my frog room, along with a chalkboard I have yet to hang and a cork board. Another whiteboard is in my plant room. I couldn't live without them.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

My dad has a few of the 5 x 3 whiteboards... I may have to get one set up since I am expanding my froggie collection

0.0.1 PCf

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Great place to pick up ideas, isn't it Strider?
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Lol, that's what I use my brain for

0.0.1 PCf

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Heh. Occasionally mine gets tired and it needs a boost
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Heh. Occasionally mine gets tired and it needs a boost
    That's when I put jumper cables on my nipples and jump start my head!!

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri