Thread: Tadpole with odd swelling...

Jace

Default Tadpole with odd swelling...

After cleaning my American Bullfrog tadpole tank, I noticed Poe has an odd swelling behind his relatively new back leg. It's causing him to list to the right when he is resting. I've included a couple of pics (the swelling is located just behind his leg, at the base of his tail). I am really hoping that it means nothing and maybe he just has to have a major bowel movement....? If anyone has experience with this, I would greatly appreciate any advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Tadpole with odd swelling...

Looks to be an infection.

Jace

An infection?? How the heck did that happen? Is there anything I can do for it?

Kurt

A trip to the vet maybe. No idea how it may have happened, if indeed its infected.

Jace

Okay, thanks Kurt. I have yet to find a vet in my area that will deal with amphibians. I might have to do the wait and see game. I changed his water today and I will monitor him closely. I am hoping it is something he will be able to fight off himself. He is still very active and eating. Hopefully it is just a minor glitch....

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Do a wait and see. Keep the water clean. Bullfrogs are like the terminator - I'm sure it'll be alright.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

Okay, thanks John. I just messaged you to get your opinion. I will monitor him and make sure he has lots of food and clean water.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

I hope he's going to be alright Jace, Good luck

Jace

Thank you, Ebony. I am pretty worried. I didn't think I would get so attached to a tadpole. I hope he (or she) is a fighter....

Iratus ranunculus

If it is an infection, your options are limited. You may be able to clear it by increasing salinity a bit. You should be able to find articles online about what salinity to use, but pathogens tend to be a bit more sensitive about that than the frog.

If you are willing to risk it, Tetracycline is available for fish OTC in water soluble capsules(Marketed as Fishcycline). It is broad spectrume and may work. Tetracycline though tends to cause skin damage to amphibians.

Jace

Thank you for the information, Iratus. I have used Tetracycline in my fish tanks in the past and would prefer to stay away from that if at all possible. Poe is eating constantly, but the swelling does not look good. I don't know if it is just me, but if I look at him straight down, it looks like his tail is attached crooked to his main body, almost like his spine is twisted. I am wondering if there is a genetic component that is completely out of my control? I will still look into the salinity aspect, though, as I am willing to try anything. I included a couple of pics I took tonight as he was feeding....you can see that it just looks off....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

This looks like what I was saying in the other thread Jace.

Jace

Thank you Ebony. I feel better knowing that just because he is kinky on the outside, it won't affect the inside of him. I just wish the swelling would go away, though. In every other aspect he is behaving normally, so I am hoping for the best despite this oddity.

Iratus ranunculus

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Thank you for the information, Iratus. I have used Tetracycline in my fish tanks in the past and would prefer to stay away from that if at all possible. Poe is eating constantly, but the swelling does not look good. I don't know if it is just me, but if I look at him straight down, it looks like his tail is attached crooked to his main body, almost like his spine is twisted. I am wondering if there is a genetic component that is completely out of my control? I will still look into the salinity aspect, though, as I am willing to try anything. I included a couple of pics I took tonight as he was feeding....you can see that it just looks off....
    Yeah, from that angle it looks like a developmental malformation. They happen all the time in amphibians. If that is the case, as he absorbs his tail during metamorphosis it should go away.

Jace

Well, then I will hope for a somewhat speedy morph then. Thanks for the advice and positive feedback. I hate playing the wait and see game, but I really have no other choice. I will make sure he has clean water and regular feedings. Thanks again-I appreciate it.

Thread Information