Thread: I will never shop at Petsmart again!

froggyman

Default I will never shop at Petsmart again!

I bought some "flightless" fruit flies for my juvenile american bullfrog and I put them in his tank and they exploded everywhere they were even on my ceiling, if they are flightless they sure can jump.

2. This member thanks froggyman for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member needs to set country!

Default Re: I will never shop at Petsmart again!

Flightless fruit flies can and will climb regardless of where you purchase them. If you try placing fruit in the setup, they should hover near the fruit. You can also try dusting the fruit flies with calcium in hopes of weighing them down some. My last suggestion would be paper towels or an opened napkin across the top. Hope something helps.

Unless your baby bullfrog is exceedingly tiny, wingless fruitflies will be way too small for him.

I did some bullfrog tadpoles in the very distant past, and they went straight to full sized adult crickets. That same summer, I gave my 13 year old sister a bullfrog tad, which she kept in her goldfish tank. Even though he was very much on the small side, all the goldfish in the tank disappeared in one day, practically before the froglet had even begun to absorb his tail.

From what I can recall (and this was nearly 30 years ago) young bullfrogs are voracious eaters. My own froglets even had a go at the newts that they shared a tank with (I didn't know about not mixing species back then). They only spit them back out because they tasted bad. All of the fruitflies in one culture wouldn't make more than one or two meals for one, unless he's just exceptionally tiny for a young bullfrog. Even if he is really that tiny, small crickets would probably be a better bet for him.

As far as wingless fruit flies go, they can't fly, but they can climb, and quickly. If you don't have a cover on your tank with exceedingly fine mesh, they will escape en masse. Another reason why crickets are preferable.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

Nationality
    [Canada]

I can't conceive even the smallest bullfrog ever eating FF... FF are for poison frogs mostly or any tiny frogs, toads.
    If you wanna use FF, you'll want a FF proof tank too... this is obvious ehe ;p
    Petsmart has nothing to do with your issue...!!!!!

Thread Information