Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plant in Pot, Fertilizer, safe?

flipper

Default Plant in Pot, Fertilizer, safe?

I bought this plant at my local plant store forgot what it was called. Was going to put the plant in with my african dwarf frogs. Inside the pot the pet store owner said it will stay alive because the nutrients it needs is in the pot. You can take it out of the pot he said though. My question is, is that fertilizer inside the pot. I wouldn't want to be putting fertilizer in my aquarium. Thanks!

m

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Plant in Pot, Fertilizer, safe?

When buying aquatic plants from pet stores, its not necessary to keep them in the pot. Once you take them out of the pot, be sure to place the roots of the plant in the substrate of the aquarium ( Java fern, and anubias are exceptions) usually if you have a nutritious plant soil, they should thrive. An aquatic plant fertilizer should do well. If its safe for fish it s safe for frogs.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

flipper

Would you recommend i put a layer of soil underneath the rocks. All I have in my aquarium is rock

Nationality
    [United States]

If you bought it at plant store need to move plant out of pot; rinse out the soil/substrate off root ball; and replant in ABG soil. By African Dwarf Frogs; you mean the aquatic ones? You plan to submerge that plant? Do you know the name of it? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

That's a media called rockwool in that pot. There is zero nutritional value in it. No fertilizers. You can put about an inch of fertilizer free peat moss under your gravel. It will feed from that for a long time. It will need a cap of sand or smaller gravel to keep it where it needs to be.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

flipper

Thanks! Peat Moss won't upset the balance in the water?

It will soften it and lower the pH a couple tenths.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Guys, what is that plant? Love it! Will it work as marginal?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

flipper

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    It will soften it and lower the pH a couple tenths.

Okay, you think that would be safe for ADF's? Also, how often would you have to change the peat moss out?

flipper

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    I'll go back to the fish store tomorrow and ask! All I know is it's a fully aquatic plant.

12. This member thanks flipper for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by flipper View Post
    Would you recommend i put a layer of soil underneath the rocks. All I have in my aquarium is rock
    Having a soil or peat layer (As bill posted) helps in the root development of the plants. Plants are likely to absorb more nutrients through their roots than their leaves. be careful to have the soil covered by your gravel. There are other products taught do the same thing but using soil is the most affordable way.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Quote Originally Posted by Bombina Bob View Post
    Having a soil or peat layer (As bill posted) helps in the root development of the plants. Plants are likely to absorb more nutrients through their roots than their leaves. be careful to have the soil covered by your gravel. There are other products taught do the same thing but using soil is the most affordable way.
    Yup. Peat moss is the cheapest. You can use something like laterite, but peat moss will do about the same, if not more.

As far as nutrient absorption, Ryan is partly correct. Plants will normally absorb nutrients via the root system, however, aquatics are different. Very few are root feeders, a majority absorb nutrients via the leaf structure. This one though, is a heavy root feeder, so some nutrients under your substrate will be appreciated by it. It does appear to be a lotus of some sort. I assume the plant shop you bought it from sells pond plants as well?

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

15. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Tongue Flicker

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    I'm sure it can. But it looks like a plant that can overrun/overgrow your tank or pond in a couple of months time when the right conditions are met

flipper

After doing extensive research I have found many problems with people using Peat Moss. Peat Moss has to be replaced very often due to how fast it decays. If not replaced, it will prevent root growth. I've learned a soil that has a higher concentration of fine clay particles over organic matter I've learned is best suited for plant growth. A substrate that is capable of changing the water chemistry is also something to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaticcommunity.com
    "Ideally, you should select a substrate that is inert and that will not alter your water chemistry. The perfect substrate will also have a high Cation Exchange Capacity. The Cation Exchange Capacity refers to the ability of the medium to absorb nutrient ions. Simply put, this means that your substrate will hold on to the nutrients and make them available to plant roots."
    Sand and gravel are bad at providing nutrients to plants. The best one I've found is to use flourite. Very nice looking and nutrient rich. Heres a list of bad (no nutrients) and good (plants will thrive) substrate

Bad: sand, gravel, peat moss, potting soil, compost

Good: flourite, laterite, Eco-Complete, ADA Aqua Soil

I believe it is also a good idea to cap your substrate meaning putting small layer of regular gravel on top of your desired bottom layer. This will prevent cloudiness of your water and protect the animals inside from scraping against sharp substrate such as flourite. Top layer can't be too thick though roots need to be able to reach the bottom.

I have been using peat moss in my planted aquariums for a decade and never had an issue. Of course I routinely planned on replacing the dirt every 3 years. But that's just me. Of the 4 "good" substrates you listed, only 2 have nutrients in them, laterite (which is essentially clay, high in iron), and Aqua soil, which in my opinion, is over priced and has a ridiculous cycling time that includes ludicrous ammonia spikes. Eco-complete and fluorite, I have used both. They are both made from the same material, ground up pumice. Totally inert. They are good for CEC due to their grain size, but they have no nutrients in them. That is presumed that you are fertilizing the water column.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

flipper

What about this stuff, they call it "Flourite"

• The premium substrate for the planted aquarium providing essential nutrient to plant root structure long term for success planted aquariums

http://www.amazon.com/Flourite-7-kg-.../dp/B00025YSB0

From everything I have read the past couple of days many people love using Flourite.

As I said in my last post, fluorite is crushed pumice. It is inert, and has not nutrients in it. That tag line is about it's higher CEC rating. The reason it gets a high CEC rating is due to the granule size being bigger than something like play sand. The CEC rating is more for fertilizing via the water column, i.e. Adding liquid or powdered ferts. It allows the exchange of those nutrients through the substrate, into the roots. For root feeders, the CEC rating isn't as important due to the roots being inside the nutrient rich media. If that makes any sense.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Possibly the easiest thing you can do, is plant the plant and add fertilizer root tabs to the substrate around it.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Tongue Flicker

I've used laterite/lateritic soils in place of most substrates that needs coco fiber/except for my FBTs for years. In leopard geckos, snakes, hermit crabs and even fishes. I may have asked here once last year if laterites were safe for frogs knowing the iron content and frogs having semi-permeable skin. They are however hard to find in the US/UK/EU for some reason (geographic availability i guess) and as a result may be a bit costly.

taniaaust1

The plant to me looks like it probably is one of the Taro varieties eg Colocasia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taro. Taro plants have large elephant shaped ears like that so is also commonly called "elephant ears".

I have planted a black stemmed Taro (the green stem wild growing variety is more common in my bog area of my garden and if I was currently able to post a picture of it, you'd see the plant other then the stem colour looks the same. This kind of plant which can be growth in an aquatic area or in a normal garden, would get too big for aquariums and outside in an water area, it can become invasive.

If it is a Taro, taro plants when disturbed can release toxins harmful to native wildlife according to this article http://www.saveourwaterwaysnow.com.a...ls.asp?ID=1790 . The sap is toxic (Thou I have mine in my bog area outside, due to it being a toxin releasing plant, I wouldnt put it into the pond itself. When I get my garden more set up, I plan to move it out of the bog/frog area as its very likely not to be good for frogs seeing it is harmful to "wildlife" and can be harmful to us too.. if handling it in a garden, pulling it out, gloves should be worn.. thou this plant can be eatten too if cooked right).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information