Thread: On the Drawing board...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile On the Drawing board...

So my hubby and I have been going over the finances and think we can build the bigger Vivarium next Spring. At this time the plan is for a 18"x24"x36" Exoterra with full Lexan top. There will be a waterfall, caves, a small pool, A synthetic primate skull with a petri dish under it along with a couple of Coco Huts, bamboo to hide in and crawl through, ledges with sticks as ladders, a cork round, a monsoon misting system, ABG with sheet moss, a negrelia fireball, a couple of ferns, a few different Broms, A pothos, some creeping charlie, a pemonium possibly a Gold Fish Flower a false bottom with a guard built around the pump to keep it from clogging. and a more Azureus Dart Frogs. We have already started looking at things to use in the new build and things look promising

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: On the Drawing board...

We were pricing the Exo Terra we want and if we order it in at the pets store we like the price will be doable. My experiments with palnts have helpped me to figure out more about how I want to plant the viv and we know exactly where we want to get the Azureus frogs from. I think Josh's Frogs will love us for the stuff we plan on ordering for our viv and the fact that that is where we want to order our frogs from. I have plans in mind for quarantine and a tad pole rearing station and grow out tank so this will be a great way to keep our frog addiction going.

Yep I did say addiction. Calculator Brain says that little frogs are like potato chips, you can't have just one. I love Mila but She is going to have a great home and nice friends to play with and hopefull there will be at least one male in the bunch so we can have the wonderful experience of raising up some Tads.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I look forward to seeing the build plans.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Plans for the Vivarium have been put on hold because my husband was told to take February off without pay.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Talking Re: On the Drawing board...

My husband found a new job working for the school district. It's stable, pays well and he likes it. Because of this the new viv is back on the agenda for this next month.

Just as soon as he gets paid we order the Exo-Terra 18"x24"x36" we want. I am planing to put some of the frog safe plants from my fairy garden experiment in it to give a healthy start on the growth but some plants will have to be ordered from Josh's Frogs. We plan on ordering the ABG along with the pump and more fly culture supplies just after we get the tank. Then the plants when it is ready and the frogs a month later when we put in the micro fauna. Also on the shopping list are peri dishes and cups for tadpoles in the event we get a breeding pair between the frogs we plan to order and the one we already have. I love the thought of more little blue frogs. I just love them and hope the group has some males so i can get calling as well as get tadpoles.

One of the plants that will be moved from the fairy Garden is a Kangaroo fern that is getting quite big and another is a Ling Ling panda face Ginger. Both originally came from Josh's Frogs and have been kept in a terrarium that is constructed much like a vivarium and has only been given the same brand of bottles water I use for my frog Mila. The young plants came from Josh's Frogs last Fall and have been getting huge from the conditions they have been kept in. This means that once their roots are established in the new vivarium they will be better able to survive the bouncing that they will face. I have a good idea of the other plants I want and the fairy garden has helped me leard a few things that will make this viv so much better.

I am very excited and find it hard to contain my enthusiasm.

Lady

Nationality
    [United States]

That is way exciting! Congrats! Keep us posted

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well I am just waiting for the pet store to get the tank we ordered in. We know what misting system we want, an Exoterra Monsoon, and we are going to do a lexan top. We want a good full spectrum light that will keep the plants happy and we plan to put a barrier up that will let water get to the pump but keep sediment out. I plan to use the substrate barrier from Josh's frogs since I like it better than Biodrain. I want to get airline hose and use it to fashion drains for the planters that will be in the back wall so they drain right into the water table. Though there will be substrate barrier between the top of the drain and the planter so we don't clog the hoses. We plan to look for silicone that does not have any anti-mildew agent in it and you great stuff to foam the back wall and make caves and ledges in the great stuff. We plan to get stones to make the waterfall and a small water feature at the bottom of the waterfall but most of the floor space will be moss and plants to hid in and climb on. This tank will really be lots of work but so worth it.

Lady

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The tank is here and the first order to Josh's frogs has been made for ABG and a good pump for the waterfall as well as some oak leaves and insect culture cups and other things that will be needed to make Azureus Heaven. I have also priced rocks for the waterfall and will be looking into egg crate and all the other building supplies as I get the chance. We are going to do our best to make the perfect home for our little blue jewels. Claculator brain has also removed the metal screen for the top so we can replace it for the lexan top and not have rust while still having the high humidity that the frogs need. I will post pictures at a time when it is closer to done. Right now it's just and empty glass Exoterra.

Nationality
    [United States]

Congratulations, I can't wait to see how it progresses and then the final product!
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information