Thread: Impaction treatment besides baths

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Impaction treatment besides baths

Hi, sorry for double posting, but I'm concerned. The last few baths haven't relieved my white's. I've yet to try a honey bath, going to do that tonight, but if it doesn't work do I have any more treatment options? My herp vet is not experienced with frogs, so surgery is probably out, if it ever came to that. Is there anything else I can do? I don't think he'd sit still for a massage of the lump on his left side, but if you think that would help I'll try it. I've heard something about orally giving them olive oil but that sounds really suspicious to me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Impaction treatment besides baths

I wouldn't try the olive oil... if I were to try anything it might be to get a catheter for tom cats (they are long and thin) from the vet, insert it a LITTLE into his hind end and try injecting a very small amt of slightly warm organic extra virgin coconut oil (make sure any coconut that might be in it is completely strained out) and see if that would work as an enema. I tried applying it to sHEila's prolapsed tissue during the last two problems he had and he was fine, I've never done a frog enema though so... ??? I also don't know how ingesting the coconut oil would work, but you could try injecting a bit into a wax worm and feeding it... These are purely speculation and guess work on my part, but something I personally would try on my own frog if I felt I had no other choice
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ooh, no. My hands are none too steady, especially with a struggling frog. Giving an enema would be my last resort if it involved inserting anything. Do they make frog laxitives?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Ooh, no. My hands are none too steady, especially with a struggling frog. Giving an enema would be my last resort if it involved inserting anything. Do they make frog laxitives?
    Found this online... "Zoo Med Can O Pillars 1.2ozSoft bodied caterpillars. ™ A natural source of fat. ™ Add weight to breeding or skinny animals. ™ Increases diet variety. ™ Ideal for all insect eating reptiles, birds and mammals. ™ Acts as a ™laxative™ in reptiles or amphibians. (feed in between multiple cricket/mealworm feedings.)"

Saw a pic of them on the Dr.s Foster and Smith website and suspect they are probably waxworms... Carnivore Food for Reptiles: Zoo Med Reptile Can O' Foods at Drs. Foster and Smith
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I should have had more faith in the honey bath, it worked well. But I'd still like to hear about other treatments in case impaction becomes an issue in the future and baths do not resolve it.

Poor Bonk. The only thing he hates worse than being handled is being put in a plastic shoebox. He jumped, hard, and headfirst into the lid. I'm surprised he wasn't stunned.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I should have had more faith in the honey bath, it worked well. But I'd still like to hear about other treatments in case impaction becomes an issue in the future and baths do not resolve it.

Poor Bonk. The only thing he hates worse than being handled is being put in a plastic shoebox. He jumped, hard, and headfirst into the lid. I'm surprised he wasn't stunned.
    We have poo!? YAY! How much honey did you put in the water? And how much came out of Bonk? Jelly still hasn't gone either so will be giving her(him?) a honey bath within a couple days if he doesn't go #2 too!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I put in three or four drops and a pea-sized lump came out. It was suspiciously small, but maybe the blockage is gone now.

Nationality
    [Canada]

That will be my next step with Gigs..... hopefully i get the same luck if no poop by tomorrow..

Did you guys stop feeding your WTF till they pooped?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MariePey View Post
    That will be my next step with Gigs..... hopefully i get the same luck if no poop by tomorrow..

Did you guys stop feeding your WTF till they pooped?
    Nope, I didn't. Just offered less food and fed every other day. Jelly finally went without the honey bath, same thing as Bonk, a small piece of poo. By the time I found it it was pretty hard, don't know if it came out that way or not. Jelly's looking less bloated now and is voracious. Never did stop eating though.

Hope Gigs goes soon!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I didn't stop feeding mine, though I fed him less. I stuck with small feeders. Soft feeders like earthworms or hornworms would have been better though.

Thread Information