Thread: Temp. for pcf???

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Temp. for pcf???

I like to keep my room chilly but I am willing to give up my chilly room if my little guys would be happier. I keep it I would say around 60 degrees but warm it up with natural sun during the day. Is this too cold for them? They were wild caught if that matters. Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Temp. for pcf???

Mine are in a room that stays in the lower 60's and they are fine. I've read that they prefer "cooler" temps compared to other frogs.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

PCFs in NW Oregon are used to it cooler than ones in Cali however My guess is those are perfectly acceptable temps, particularly for this time of year... keep an eye out for hibernating behavior, however.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]

irThumper,

Its been awhile! How ya doing?

As far as hibernating behavior is concerned, could you enlighten me as to what I should be looking for?

I've read countless books and surfed the web since I've gotten these little guys, I don't recall coming across any hibernation information.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AbranV View Post
    irThumper,

Its been awhile! How ya doing?

As far as hibernating behavior is concerned, could you enlighten me as to what I should be looking for?

I've read countless books and surfed the web since I've gotten these little guys, I don't recall coming across any hibernation information.
    Hi! Yep, it has, lol. I've been trying to fight off the local nasty respiratory bug that's been going around, and dealing with my WTF's issues *shakes fist at Petco!* but otherwise not doing too terrible, heh. How about you?

Now, when we had PCFs when I was a kid ours lived in regular room temps and never did hibernate. It's not necessary for them unless you intend to breed them, from what I've heard. Unless you're keeping your guys in outside tanks, or in an unheated garage, they probably won't go into hibernation mode.

I know I have some hibernation info on these guys someplace... I know that when the weather starts to get cold they will go to ground deep in leaf litter, or hole up under bark, or logs. They basically eat a lot before they hibernate, then they stop eating, and their system slows down the way some other hibernating animals do. Now that's for frogs in the wild-- are you wanting to hibernate yours or are you noticing behavior that might be for hibernating?

I'll see if I can find that info I saved and post it for you
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]

I've been fighting the same bug, and its a strong one. I've read a few of your recent posts, and I'm sorry to hear about your whites. That sucks when you have to deal with sick frogs, on top of being sick yourself.

As far as the PCF's hibernating, its more of me being curious than anything. I just don't remember reading anything about it.

I would LOVE to breed them. One frog, Elway, has changed color a little bit to where its back is green with grey sides, white belly and some brown/copper spots. At times he gets a blue-green tint to him. The other frog, Atwater, is brown but almost has bronze color to him. Both could create some cool offspring. The only issue I have is that I still don't know what gender they are.

Good news though, my neighbors have a pool that gets loaded with tadpoles every year. I'm sure I'll eventually get some breeders if my two turn out to be the same sex.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AbranV View Post
    I've been fighting the same bug, and its a strong one. I've read a few of your recent posts, and I'm sorry to hear about your whites. That sucks when you have to deal with sick frogs, on top of being sick yourself.

As far as the PCF's hibernating, its more of me being curious than anything. I just don't remember reading anything about it.

I would LOVE to breed them. One frog, Elway, has changed color a little bit to where its back is green with grey sides, white belly and some brown/copper spots. At times he gets a blue-green tint to him. The other frog, Atwater, is brown but almost has bronze color to him. Both could create some cool offspring. The only issue I have is that I still don't know what gender they are.

Good news though, my neighbors have a pool that gets loaded with tadpoles every year. I'm sure I'll eventually get some breeders if my two turn out to be the same sex.
    Oh, I know...! This bug is a b*coff* Been sick for just over two weeks now, but I think the residual effects are due to it messing with my asthma, bleh. Yeah the stress of it all sure hasn't been fun, that's for sure. The local Petco is definitely on my DO NOT BUY FROM list. Not saying I might not pick up a Whites Tree Frog at a different Petco, IF the frogs look healthy, the cricket bins are CLEAN, and they get their frogs from the same supplier mine came from. Love their colors and little speckles

Hopefully when the outside frogs start calling around Feb. yours will hear and start replying-- IF they are males

I've been looking for that info on hibernating PCFs but can't find anything in my saved file I know I read up on it before my crew returned to the great outdoors. Will keep checking!

Elway's color sounds awesome!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information