Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldier Fly Larvae for WTFs? Lauric Acid?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Soldier Fly Larvae for WTFs? Lauric Acid?

I read that these Soldier fly larvae are low in fat, high in calcium, and "high in lauric acid which helps battle diseases such as Coccidia"-- I definitely like the last part! Are they soft bodied? Could I feed them to sHEila, along with night crawlers and the occasional wax worm, to help counter the prolapse issues? Black Soldier Fly Larve - Live Feeder Crickets Dubia Roaches Superworms Mealworms, Wax Worms, Phoenix Worms Shipped
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Soldier Fly Larvae for WTFs? Lauric Acid?

I have heard of people having issues with these because they are not easily digestible. Some people have had them come out of their frogs still alive. I guess they're more for animals that chew. I read that if you pierce their skin before you feed them, there is less of an issue, but that they die quickly and the frogs are uninterested as a result.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Tongue Flicker

Black soldier fly larvae are highly carnivorous by nature but the scary myths can be prevented by gutloading the larvae with raw meat preferrably lean beefheart or chicken fillet. I've used them for years as feeders but my previous treefrog doesn't seem to like it. My FBTs wanna destroy them but they're too big for them so no go lol

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If you do a search of threads here, there have been some not so great experiences. I thought about trying them too, but eventually decided against it as a result of those threads. Not talking about the possibility that they'll chew through your frog (which I have no idea if that is founded or not,) but just the idea that they come out whole and even alive, which is experiences that I've read about on here.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tongue Flicker View Post
    Black soldier fly larvae are highly carnivorous by nature but the scary myths can be prevented by gutloading the larvae with raw meat preferrably lean beefheart or chicken fillet. I've used them for years as feeders but my previous treefrog doesn't seem to like it. My FBTs wanna destroy them but they're too big for them so no go lol
    Oog...

Um, what is a FBT?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irThumper View Post
    Oog...

Um, what is a FBT?
    Fire Bellied Toad

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    If you do a search of threads here, there have been some not so great experiences. I thought about trying them too, but eventually decided against it as a result of those threads. Not talking about the possibility that they'll chew through your frog (which I have no idea if that is founded or not,) but just the idea that they come out whole and even alive, which is experiences that I've read about on here.
    I'm wondering if it has to do with the size or robustness of the frog? Here's the post I made on Frank Indiviglios blog and his response Frog Diets - Nutritious Foods for Popularly-Kept Frogs and Toads and here's the article on the larvae, interesting comments Black Soldier Fly Larvae (Calciworms) as Food for Reptiles and Amphibians
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Fire Bellied Toad
    Ah! Lol, a Bombina. I should have figured that out Thanks!

I just found a post on here by the same fella too. http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...ly-larvae.html

Now, what if you have a frog that will hand feed and take non-moving prey? Could they eat a poked Soldier fly larvae and digest it? Both Honey and Shirley have taken non-moving wax worms from my fingers on a couple of different occasions, so wondered if they'd to the same for these things? I'm not trying that with sHEila yet since he's on a fast for his prolapse, but I'm sure by the time he's done he'll want to gobble up everything! Actually I still need to medicate them on Sunday, so he'll be getting one wax worm then...
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...nix-worms.html

http://www.frogforum.net/fire-belly-...nix-worms.html

http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...rms-no-no.html

There are just a few of the threads, there are more. I do not think it'd hurt to try it, just why most frog owners tend to stay away from them. If you can get earthworms, that'd be a great option for your babies. Very easily digestible with some of the issues they've had

11. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I certainly think so too. Well I'll get some from Josh's if I can't round them up locally then. Will go read those links, thanks!

If it weren't so warm in this apartment I'd culture my own worms too! http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatre.../#.VG_BlsmRPw0
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Just wanted to add my experience with Phoenix worms. I just ordered some, thinking they would add some variety to my little Greys' diet. I tried feeding them last night. One of the tanks didn't touch them, but the other one emptied the dish, and all the frogs were very fat looking next morning. However, looking in the tank later in the day, it does look like they passed through them pretty much undigested, which I'm really unhappy about, since, on paper, they looked like a really good food source.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor
    7.0.0 Dendropsophus leucophyllatus
    2.0.0 Homo sapiens sapiens (K & C, the *other* froglets)

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
    Just wanted to add my experience with Phoenix worms. I just ordered some, thinking they would add some variety to my little Greys' diet. I tried feeding them last night. One of the tanks didn't touch them, but the other one emptied the dish, and all the frogs were very fat looking next morning. However, looking in the tank later in the day, it does look like they passed through them pretty much undigested, which I'm really unhappy about, since, on paper, they looked like a really good food source.
    Do your frogs hand feed? I read that it was recommended to pierce the skin in a couple places to allow the digestive juices of the frog to do a better job breaking them down. Mine take wax worms by hand, and I have to stick those with a needle and inject them with medication before I feed them, so wondered if that would work for these other things? I also notices that wax worm skin seems to pass right through my guys... but they have loose stool due to the coccidiosis anyway so who knows.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Mine don't hand feed. If yours do, then I'd think the poking holes in them thing might work. At least worth trying, and you can let the rest of us know how it works out.

just cleaned a bunch of stinky piles of undigested worms out of the one tank.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor

"Cleansed in the finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope, and lovingly frosted with glucose."

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Gross, yeah that wouldn't be a perk

Ok, I'll do that. I can get some without shipping, otherwise I wouldn't even try this as an experiment!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well...... I brought some home tonight. Some of them were quite small and lighter colored, the rest were about twice the size of the little ones and black. I decided to try them on Shirley and Honey, who fasted last night but looked so expectant this morning that I gave them just a few small crickets. Tonight they looked expectant again so decided to try some of these Soldier fly larvae. I used just the very small light colored ones and did not jab a hole in them. Dropped one in front of Shirley and NAB! Down the hatch it went. Dropped one in front of Honey and NAB..... blllllllllehhhh. His tongue dropped out, jaw agape, and I could have sworn he was having a metabolic fit! But nope, they get plenty of calcium, Vit D3 and other vits... he drew his tongue in and the grub was still on there so swallowed it, even though I think he didn't want to. I tossed Shirley another, CHOMP! GULP! Threw another at Honey, and he grabbed it, and the same thing happened-- slack jawed with tongue hanging out. This time the grub rolled off and he didn't make another go at it. Gave three more to Shirley who happily ate them all, for a total of 4-5 I believe. Guess we'll see if there's any undigested worm carcasses in the tank tomorrow! As for Honey, I know he's perfectly fine because I gave him a few little crickets to make up for the sucky bugs and LUNGE! POW! SNAP! GULP! ....lol. So we have one frog who, apparently, loves the things, and another who thinks they are gross-- would be the frog who needs the lauric acid the most, as Honey was the first to show the cocci symptoms, *rolls eyes* figures! So I guess we'll see what comes of the Soldier fly larvae after the fact... *coff*

Name:  DSC01494.JPG
Views: 847
Size:  152.2 KB
    Last edited by irThumper; November 23rd, 2014 at 01:44 AM.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

12 noon and there is some poo, the normal unformed stuff, but no passed whole Soldier fly larvae to be seen! Now, it will be interesting to see how Shirley does after this, having had a nosh of these lauric acid filled little bugs. I'm hoping she will get some benefit and it will help with the cocci, seeing I'm not getting the right med amount into them...
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Glad it went semi-well. Bonk did almost the same thing when he got his first small dubia. It stuck to the underside of his tongue like peanut butter, but he eventually got it in. I might have to try the larvae sometime but I have a feeling he'd react to them like Honey did.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    Glad it went semi-well. Bonk did almost the same thing when he got his first small dubia. It stuck to the underside of his tongue like peanut butter, but he eventually got it in. I might have to try the larvae sometime but I have a feeling he'd react to them like Honey did.
    Yeah he acted totally disgusted, lol. But when it comes to crickets, and even wax worms, no prob!

I'm really contemplating trying a more "naturalistic" type of feeding regime... I want to pick two or three different insects, not overly large, to feed to the frogs every day, even separate the meals into a bug or two morning and night. I know people say feeding a frog three times a week is fine, but these captive frogs stuff themselves (usually out of a bowl or by hand) then sleep off a big load... they also wind up getting no exercise and getting impacted or having super big poo loaded with indigestible bug bits, and then can prolapse... Frogs in the wild are generally not fat; they stay on the move searching out their prey (if it doesn't just happen to be ambling past them) so they get exercise. Unless they are lucky and wind up on a nest of insects they aren't generally stuffing down tons of bugs all in one brief setting either. Our local PCFs would sit on the drain pipe near the light all night long, and it would take them hours to get a full meal (if they did) from all the little leaf hoppers or small moths that they would be lucky to catch. I just wish there was more info available on the feeding habits of WTFs in the wild, but strangely there doesn't seem to be, so all i can do is go by what I saw our local tree frogs doing.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Update on my experience with these worms. I removed the dish of uneaten worms from the other tank yesterday. I didn't think any of them had been eaten, but it looks like I was wrong about that. I just found one of them sliming its way around on the glass near the top of the tank, very close to where one of the little frogs was hanging out.

The only way I can imagine it could have gotten there is if the frog pooped it ou alive. These worms are not slimy (unless they've passed through a digestive tract), and they couldn't even crawl out of the tiny glass dishes they were in, let alone climb up to the top of the tank.

I'm really pretty grossed out right now.

I'm glad things seem to have gone better with your frogs.
    0.0.6 Hyla versicolor

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
    Update on my experience with these worms. I removed the dish of uneaten worms from the other tank yesterday. I didn't think any of them had been eaten, but it looks like I was wrong about that. I just found one of them sliming its way around on the glass near the top of the tank, very close to where one of the little frogs was hanging out.

The only way I can imagine it could have gotten there is if the frog pooped it ou alive. These worms are not slimy (unless they've passed through a digestive tract), and they couldn't even crawl out of the tiny glass dishes they were in, let alone climb up to the top of the tank.

I'm really pretty grossed out right now.

I'm glad things seem to have gone better with your frogs.
    YUCK! How old/big are your froggles? Did you use small SF larvae or larger? Dark or pale tan? I didn't even feed the black (larger) ones, as they rattled around in the little plastic cup they came in and sounded hard to me, I didn't want to feed anything hard.
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information