Thread: My Toad Is Very Very Ill Pink Spots

TriEdge

Unhappy My Toad Is Very Very Ill Pink Spots

Hello all,

I am freaking out terribly because my 1 toad is dying. He is a fowlers/american cross toad and not very old, he's pretty small compared to my large female and other male toad.

I thought he was getting prepared to hibernate because he is normally happy active, loves getting in the water, eats a ton, and doesn't mind to be held a little (ie if you try to hold him he doesn't fight like my other ones) but I rarely if ever hold my toads.

Yesterday he was crawling on his belly around the tank and would not eat anything and has a very dark color. His eyes seem very golden now. He does not want to be touched at all. I got him out today to put him in a separate tank. He acted scared then gave up in my hand. His limbs were awkward, and I turned him over, and then I noticed..these horrible pink blemishes.

I don't know what to do. I fear it is too late and he will die. I don't understand what happened what I did. The other 2 toads are fine at the moment.

What should I/can I do? I feel awful and I can't imagine how my baby feels...please guide me here...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: My Toad Is Very Very Ill Pink Spots

I'm sorry about your toad Please answer the questions below and highlight them if possible.

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default My Toad Is Very Very Ill Pink Spots

In addition to the questions, what you describe sounds like an infection so in any case it is prudent that you take ALL animals for testing at a vet and disinfect EVERYTHING

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Agree with Frogman. Sounds like a bacterial infection. Take him to the vet, first and foremost!

TriEdge

Sorry for the late reply. He passed away last night...he just hid in the corner and stopped breathing and went stiff. I feel so bad. We did quarantine the two other toads. I thought maybe it was the red leg, but he only has pink blotches, turned dark, and no 'red' or bleeding, sores, etc.

I am glad I could post here though..made me feel a little better as some around just say 'it's just a toad'

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Sorry for your loss :/

Redleg is a fast working illness, but not that fast. It sounds like a bacterial infection that has been there for a long time, or like something strong (chemicals, agressive disease) has attacked him/them.

With such a seemingly sudden and weird death, I would trust it has inflicted the others as well. I encourage you to fill out the form Strider18 suggested and - if it's possible in your area - take them to the vet, maybe get fecal samples done, just get them checked.

Sorry about your loss I would keep the other toads in qt and get them tested. And filling out that form may help determine what is wrong.

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry for the little toad's death . So we got 2 possibilities in here so far. Since this one "let you" handle it; did you washed hands and rinse them with dechlorinated water or wear gloves before handling toad? Reason is, our hands are exposed to many chemicals and produce skin oils that are harmful to toads and frogs.

Another possibility is that either had some pathogen when you got it, or got contaminated from the other toads with something they had resistance to; but he didn't. Will wait for questionnaire answers in case there are other husbandry issues.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information