Thread: If you buy a frog from a large pet store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default If you buy a frog from a large pet store

A lot of people will buy a frog from petco / petsmart etc. because the price is good. Keep in mind how much you're going to have to spend beyond the cost of the frog. Buying the frog from a reputable breeder and paying shipping could actually SAVE you money in the long run.

Most of these potentially wild-caught frogs are not in the best health, you're going to have to spend money to get them there. A lot of times this includes fecal testing and medication and sometimes a vet visit. Once in a while, the frog will not make it no matter what you do.

I've seen them at petco and petsmart, I go there often, packed in a tiny tank (5-10 for maybe 5 gallons of space) with loads of mealworms and moss (sometimes mealworms in moss) at improper temps and humidity, occasionally wood chip substrate or dirty unchanged coco fiber substrate. If one comes in and is sick and dies in the tank, they do not rip apart the entire tank and disinfect it or treat the others that shared a tank, they just remove the dead one. So all the frogs in the tank end up exposed to those pathogens.

Yes, some stores have better conditions than others, but overall, they are not healthy.

If you take the advice of the store associates and set up a tank accordingly, you will be re-buying pretty much everything. I've never seen one of them there give proper advice. I, myself, fell for the advice of Petsmart when my first frog was given to me as a surprise. I put a grey tree frog in a 10 gallon tank with loads of moss and no branches. I ended up re-buying everything.

I spent more on that first FREE frog than I did on any frog I got after that.

Also, so many feel that they are rescuing these frogs. You are rescuing a frog but giving the stores a profit to go buy and sell more of these frogs. If no one buys these sickly, poorly cared for frogs, they'll either take better care of them, or stop bringing them in because they do not sell.

So before you impulse buy, before you think you might be saving money, stop and think about what it's really going to cost you.

For the record, I'm not criticizing the people who have bought them there, especially those who have spent and spent to get those frogs healthy again. I just hope more people will stop and think in the future if they read this.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

2. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Thread Information