Thread: Bloating wtf & flower irritation??

MissNtuen

Smile Bloating wtf & flower irritation??

I have several whites both indo and austr

2nites ago I found My baby Australian unable to move and his limbs were stretched out and he was completely bloated. I never saw anything like that before. I quarantined and basically kept a close eye on him. Making sure temp was right, soaking, and food. He hasn't eaten since tho. And im not sure it what to do now.

My other issue
    I bought the most beautiful vine flower plant from the produce junction the other day for my terrarium. I set my exO up and waited a day or two to see if I wanted to modify it and the scent of the flower is a bit strong. I mean I love the scent but everytime I open up the cage to mist the tank, I can't help but To think the smell of the flower would irritatE my frog? I went back to the produce junction to see the head any more of the vines and if they have a means to them but couldn't get the name of them. Baby really make my setup look marvelous is very simple and I'm thinking that maybe I should put the flowers off? Has anyone ever heard of probably irritated by thE smell of flowers? I must sound really crazy but I must ask because I dont her to be uncomfortable.

Shes Australian & I also have A few Indonesian whites. I'm a little hesitanT to mix them together. They were bought from different breeders and I just hear so many stories.......
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Bloating wtf & flower irritation??

I don't recognize that vine, is it jasmine? I don't think jasmine is toxic, to people anyway, but since it's in an enclosed space, who knows? I wouldn't put it in with a frog having respiratory problems, but otherwise I don't know. And as far as your sick frog, answering some questions would help more knowledgeable people answer you: QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication

MissNtuen

austrailian whites tree frog 1.5"
    baby-age unknown
    12x12x18 exo terra
    he/she is with 2 other babies and they are about 2"
    i use exo liquid calcium now (just started)
    they eat in the enclosure
    feeding on live crickets 1/2" crickets and mealworms
    they are all the same species
    temp varies from 76-84......cooler during the day
    under take mat for heat and reptile bulb 15watt during the day and sometimes at nite
    I change the water every day and mist with spring water. I use glacier spring only. (had a bad experience with dechlorinater)
    substrate- cocofiber and sheet moss and medium size rocks. One potted plant and one fake plastic plant and bamboo
    I've had them for 3 weeks now and i keep them in my room in the corner.
    Ive been feeding them every other day and just started with the calcium after I saw him bloated n limbs extended
    they are captive bred & i try not to handle them.......only when i have to spot clean.
    & the terrarium smells!!! And i think its because of the moss? Im not sure. I feel like im doing something wrong.
    I placed him in a seperate critter keeper where he has heat, a hide, soak, & plant

He seems so lonely by himself and im wondering if i should put him back with the others sinces he's showing normal signs of behavior.......How long should i wait if he's eating and behavior is normal? BUT since i got him he has been dark colored but every since he's been alon he is a bright green. Is that a sign of stress?? And i honestly have no clue about the plant. I think i will try to find a plant forum or someone who can identify it. But i do think its a Madagascar jasmine....comparing pics it looks exact. Im gonna post pics thru my phone

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    I don't recognize that vine, is it jasmine? I don't think jasmine is toxic, to people anyway, but since it's in an enclosed space, who knows? I wouldn't put it in with a frog having respiratory problems, but otherwise I don't know. And as far as your sick frog, answering some questions would help more knowledgeable people answer you: QUESTIONS

1----what 'kind' of frog is it ( what species)
    2----please include a photo of the frog
    3----Please include a photo of the frog's current enclosure
    4----size of enclosure ( W" x D" x H" )
    5----# on inhabitants - ( if there is another frog --- is there a size difference ? )
    6----has or was the frog kept with a different species or with any other tank mate
    7----is there a new tank mate----was the new tank mate quarantined
    8----what is the typical humidity level
    9----what temperature is maintained
    10---what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    11---describe the enclosure lighting ( very specifically)
    12---describe enclosure maintenance ( water changes, cleaning etc)
    13---what kind of water is used
    -----for misting
    -----for the frog's soaking dish
    -----is de-chlorinator used / what brand
    14---material(s) used for substrate - be very specific
    15---enclosure set up:
    -----if recent - describe how the enclosure was cleaned
    -----plants( live or artificial) if artificial plants are used are they plastic or fabric
    -----describe wood, bark , and background materials
    16---when is the last time the frog ate
    17---have you found poop lately
    18---how often is the frog fed
    19---what size feeder is given
    20---what other feeders are used as treats
    21---what is the frog's main food source
    22---do feeders roam free in the enclosure or is the frog bowl fed
    23---vitamins - what brand and how often
    24---calcium - what brand and how often
    25---was the frog without calcium for any period of time
    26---approximate age of the frog
    27---how long have you owned the frog
    28---who cared for the frog before you
    29---is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    30---how often the frog is handled -- are gloves used ( what kind of gloves)
    31---is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    30---has or was the frog properly quarantined (yes or no)
    -----for how long
    32---has the frog been treated with any medication:
    -----for what
    -----name of medication

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Bloating wtf & flower irritation??

I'm sorry your frog is not doing well

A 12x12x18 is way to small for three whites. Even babies. For three a 24x18x24 is the minimum

A mealworm or two once in a while won't hurt, but keep in mind they have a tough exoskeleton and minimal nutrition. I would just not waste time money and energy feeding them mealworms

Moss is always an impaction risk. Recommend remove it.

Frogs are solitary animals by nature. They tolerate each other and will not get "lonely".

Color change is completely normal for a white's. Don't worry about it.

As for the bloat, it may be a calcium deficiency. Make sure you use both calcium and vitamins. Cal+d3 every other feeding and vitamins once a week. I recommend the powder over the liquid.

And i also would take the frog to an experienced amphibian vet or at least shoot one an email.

Do not put the frog back yet at least for a few weeks. Don't want to add any unnecessary stress

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

I would stop feeding mealworms as frogman suggested, they have a higher chitin to nutrition ratio then crickets and earthworms.

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

MissNtuen

Thanks guys. I'll switch to crickets only. As far as substrate, what's the best for whites? I love cocofiber but it gets everywhere n they track it everywhere. Any suggestions for a simple setup substrate?

For the last couple weeks I ha e been ordering stuff for my 18x18x24........and was gona place them in there once my setup was complete. Since they're babies I thought they would have plenty of space. I do have a 40gal that I can set up for them temporarily....... I will buy the 24x18x24 during the black friday sale

And I have the powder calcium &d3 but it was used for my sons beardy. The calcium spray killed several crickets.......I only sprayed twice.......has me thinking about the benefits of calcium lol......but my baby whites seems to be doing well. I'll keep him quarantinedfor a while longer

You could get leaf litter, it will help prevent the substrate from sticking to them.

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MissNtuen View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll switch to crickets only. As far as substrate, what's the best for whites? I love cocofiber but it gets everywhere n they track it everywhere. Any suggestions for a simple setup substrate?

For the last couple weeks I ha e been ordering stuff for my 18x18x24........and was gona place them in there once my setup was complete. Since they're babies I thought they would have plenty of space. I do have a 40gal that I can set up for them temporarily....... I will buy the 24x18x24 during the black friday sale

And I have the powder calcium &d3 but it was used for my sons beardy. The calcium spray killed several crickets.......I only sprayed twice.......has me thinking about the benefits of calcium lol......but my baby whites seems to be doing well. I'll keep him quarantinedfor a while longer
    Hi,
    Sorry you're having trouble

I would STOP feeding any mealworms--- none ever!

Hospital tank substrate --- plain white paper towel --- very wet with de-chlorinated water only - a plastic plant that can be cleaned daily, and a large water dish -->cleaned daily in hot tap water and re-filled with de-chlorinated water only.

QT/ hospital set-up:
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...uarantine.html

IMO Best supplements for dusting crickets- ( be sure the crickets are not too large )
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...pplements.html Yes ! This is a must. If a Calcium /Vt D dusting schedule has not been used ....consider doing this daily for a while.

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...caresheet.html

bowl feeding--always a great idea for whites and red eyes:
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...eder-bowl.html

Last but not least....
    You might seek advice from a herp vet.
    A vet that cares for frogs. Be sure to ask!
    Do everything possible to get a fecal sample done.
    Some vets will do this without 'seeing' the frog.
    Sadly, these frogs are not kept in the best conditions prior to purchase... they can have a variety of illnesses and parasites.

In fact, it should probably be a routine ---> newly acquired Whites ---> should get vet checked.
    Always, always QT'd separately! Commonly used medication should be kept on-hand ( link below)

If you do not have a herp vet --- you could email Dr Frye --- have current photos available, information regarding the age of the frog(s), a weight --in grams if possible, and a good description of their symptoms. Add information to the email similar to the questions in "Trouble in the Enclosure". If you have more than one frog, that were together, not quarantined separately--- be sure to let a vet know. Payment for any meds and ? de-wormer ( Panacure ) is made via credit card.

Link for Dr Frye:
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-supplies.html

Keep us posted

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

MissNtuen

Thank you Lynn & Strider . Im definitely going to email the doc about this. I really just wanna make sure he is ok. I live in philly and only the local spca and paws........I just bought a 10g tank for him today. Plain papertowels moist, bath, heat, n calcium.Most of the supplies needed I have but I need to get the vitamin schedule down. And will get the meds the doc needs me to get. Will try the bowl feeding too. I tried taking them out and feeding them but but its like they get nervous and dont eat the crickets. I only see them eat in the enclosure.

Never heard of the leaf litter but im gonna look into it

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry you're having trouble

I would STOP feeding any mealworms--- none ever!

Hospital tank substrate --- plain white paper towel --- very wet with de-chlorinated water only - a plastic plant that can be cleaned daily, and a large water dish -->cleaned daily in hot tap water and re-filled with de-chlorinated water only.

QT/ hospital set-up:
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...uarantine.html

IMO Best supplements for dusting crickets- ( be sure the crickets are not too large )
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...pplements.html Yes ! This is a must. If a Calcium /Vt D dusting schedule has not been used ....consider doing this daily for a while.

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...caresheet.html

bowl feeding--always a great idea for whites and red eyes:
    http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...eder-bowl.html

Last but not least....
    You might seek advice from a herp vet.
    A vet that cares for frogs. Be sure to ask!
    Do everything possible to get a fecal sample done.
    Some vets will do this without 'seeing' the frog.
    Sadly, these frogs are not kept in the best conditions prior to purchase... they can have a variety of illnesses and parasites.

In fact, it should probably be a routine ---> newly acquired Whites ---> should get vet checked.
    Always, always QT'd separately! Commonly used medication should be kept on-hand ( link below)

If you do not have a herp vet --- you could email Dr Frye --- have current photos available, information regarding the age of the frog(s), a weight --in grams if possible, and a good description of their symptoms. Add information to the email similar to the questions in "Trouble in the Enclosure". If you have more than one frog, that were together, not quarantined separately--- be sure to let a vet know. Payment for any meds and ? de-wormer ( Panacure ) is made via credit card.

Link for Dr Frye:
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-supplies.html

Keep us posted

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If you have powdered calcium that you used on your son's beardy, make sure it isn't too old. Old supplements are worthless. You could also try bowl feeding to prevent them from chomping up some substrate. Use a clean glass bowl that is at least 1.5 inches tall, the crickets shouldn't be able to get out.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

MissNtuen

Yea Im gonna see about getting a better flat bowl for them for feeding. When I checked on him earlier it like like he was shedding but them he started making this tapping noise and its looked like he was having trouble breathing. Is that a sign of calcium deficiency? I looked it up & remember reading something like this before but couldn't find the link to it. Now he is back in his corner. He's but eating but looking extra plump like there's some fluid retention......all over

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

This is a baby? The "tapping" noise and being puffed up almost sounds like he's trying to call... but I don't know how young (or old) they are when they start. I just know my sHEila (who turned out male, lol) started calling not long ago (I've had him since Oct 9, purchased as a baby abt 2" long) and when he started I didn't know what I was hearing as he didn't have much volume since his throat wasn't stretched out yet. He also gets really puffed up before he starts calling.
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Bloating wtf & flower irritation??

My frog puffs up all over when he calls and then after a few minutes he returns to his flabby little self. It sounds like yours os trying to call

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Thread Information