Thread: Coccidistat, Crickets, Anti-inflammatories, Etc...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Coccidistat, Crickets, Anti-inflammatories, Etc...

I've read that crickets can eat chicken crumbles or pellets. Some chicken crumbles are treated with medication for coccidiosis. I know that crickets can catch coccidiosis and pass it onto frogs that eat them (one very likely way my WTFs caught it). Can crickets be fed this medicated chicken crumble and become free of coccidia? How long does it take for food to pass out of a cricket's system? Would feeding crickets gut loaded on medicated crumbles in turn medicate frogs that might have cocci? (I think this would be risky without research). Frogs with intestinal parasites also have intestinal inflammation and irritation, could crickets eat coconut oil, which is known to be a natural anti-inflammatory, and then be fed to the frogs to help sooth irritated gut symptoms while they are being medicated?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Coccidistat, Crickets, Anti-inflammatories, Etc...

Any ideas, anyone?
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]

I wouldn't feed anything medicated, personally. The Coccidiostats in the medicated poultry diet are concentrated in such a way to be an effective treatment for chickens. As a result, the feed might be potentially harmful to the crickets directly, or indirectly harmful to the herp feeding on it. I don't have empirical evidence to back this up, because studies haven't been done on the effects of these kinds of Coccidiostats in herps... but I wouldn't to take the risk given this lack of research.

Coconut oil would be fine to offer crickets, but I have a potentially better alternative that has yielded true, positive results in herps:

If you are concerned about inflammation, I would feed a few silkworms (Bombyx mori) here and there. Health benefits to people are well documented, and benefits in herps have been directly observed. For example, a friend of mine who rescues bearded dragons feeds silkworms to her rescues and has noticed substantially faster recovery time compared to feeding other feeders. Why? Silkworms contain an enzyme called serrapeptase, that is known to reduce inflammation, reduce arterial plaque, and promote calcium absorption. Additionally, silkworms are high in calcium, soft-bodied, protein and nutrient rich feeders as is it (they're just a little pricey, and have a specific diet).
    -Jeff Howell
    ReptileBoards ( Branched from The Reptile Rooms )
    "If you give, you begin to live." -DMB

5. This member thanks JeffreH for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreH View Post
    I wouldn't feed anything medicated, personally. The Coccidiostats in the medicated poultry diet are concentrated in such a way to be an effective treatment for chickens. As a result, the feed might be potentially harmful to the crickets directly, or indirectly harmful to the herp feeding on it. I don't have empirical evidence to back this up, because studies haven't been done on the effects of these kinds of Coccidiostats in herps... but I wouldn't to take the risk given this lack of research.

Coconut oil would be fine to offer crickets, but I have a potentially better alternative that has yielded true, positive results in herps:

If you are concerned about inflammation, I would feed a few silkworms (Bombyx mori) here and there. Health benefits to people are well documented, and benefits in herps have been directly observed. For example, a friend of mine who rescues bearded dragons feeds silkworms to her rescues and has noticed substantially faster recovery time compared to feeding other feeders. Why? Silkworms contain an enzyme called serrapeptase, that is known to reduce inflammation, reduce arterial plaque, and promote calcium absorption. Additionally, silkworms are high in calcium, soft-bodied, protein and nutrient rich feeders as is it (they're just a little pricey, and have a specific diet).
    Thanks, Jeff! That's what I was thinking about the medicated feed/crickets too, something that would really need research and I'm no scientist. That is some really awesome info about the silk worms though! They eat mulberry leaves don't they? I think I remember hearing about that in a discussion regarding plants and animals used for textiles, but it's been many many years ago :P Thanks again!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information