Thread: Bloated Fire-Belly Toad (won't eat either)

Zooziggy

Default Bloated Fire-Belly Toad (won't eat either)

I have 5 fire belly toads that I've had for about 2 years. I don't know their age, they were simply given to me, and I don't believe the previous owner knew age either.

I noticed recently (3 weeks ago) one was quite bloated, sluggish and would not eat. I separated him from the others and began contacting my frog knowledgeable friends. Shortly afterwards I took him to a vet who gave me several options. We ended up treating symptoms. Baytril for possible infection, soaking daily in a mild calcium solution. While at the vet he pooped and the vet observed no parasites under the scope.

I've kept the frogs in a 10 gallon tank (with no other animals), provide a dry rock or two, treat the water with Prime, test the water regularly, change the water at least every 2 weeks, smallish gravel substrate, a few aquatic plants, a Fluval filter/pump, an aquarium heater set at about 74 f, feed them twice a week with small gut-loaded crickets. Their tank is in a spare bedroom near a window so they can look out. I recently added a .5 UBV light that I keep on during daytime hours. I had to start force feeding the bloated frog bits of wax worms and he continues to poop but he won't eat on his own. He seems to shed regularly. As of today he really hasn't lost any bloating and he won't eat on his own, but he poops and is active.

It seems I'm not really treating the issue at hand. Pretty concerned about him. Any ideas?

ZooZiggy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Bloated Fire-Belly Toad (won't eat either)

I have two fbt's that I keep in a ten gallon tank. Had one for three years and the other for two. So far no issues, knock wood <grin>. I'm not an expert by any stretch of anyones imagination, but let me throw these thoughts at you to consider.

Five fbts in a ten gallon tank seems a little crowded to me, especially with water only being changed every two weeks. However you say you do test it, so maybe it's okay. I change mine every week. But I don't test it, so maybe I'm overdoing it. I don't use any treatment such as prime, but I also don't use tap water. I use distilled water from the discount store. Tap water in my area is about buffered to be near the max allowable alkalinity. Distilled water is more neutral in ph.

74 F. that seems high to me. They are not tropical, so they handle normal household temps well. 68F to 72F IMO. and even lower is probably okay for seasonal change. I don't heat except for the coldest winter months, and then I still try to keep it below 72F.

Smallish gravel? Not so small that they might ingest it if they miss their target when going for a meal? Small gravel I've read can plug up their gut I've read. However you said it's pooping so not likely the issue.

I just wouldn't worry too much. Sometimes one or the other of mine seem to not be hungry for odd periods of time. Not sure about the bloating though. I don't think I'd force feed though. They can easily go a week or so with no food, again IMO.

This is my first post here, though I've lurked here for quite a while. Maybe this will bump your thread up and you'll get some input from more knowledgable members.

Tongue Flicker

Have no experience with bloated fbts yet and i dont hope to lol.. just give your frog a 3-4 day fasting period and it should be fine by then

dj1

How bloated is the toad, any photos? also are you sure it isn't a female I know it's difficult to tell them apart but a rule of thumb apart from males calling is that females have more slender front legs and a rounder body.

Does the window get direct sunshine, if so the temps can rocket inside your tank, north facing windows are best,and frogs don't need to look out if that worries you, they see things in an abstract pixelated form and are rather more limited in distance vision than mammals or birds, but they may like the extra light.

Thread Information