Thread: Great Stuff foam questions for everyone

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Great Stuff foam questions for everyone

I picked up another tank today after my previous tank shattered this Saturday, and I'm ready to add the foam. Before I do, I have some questions for everyone that has built a tank or two using Great Stuff.

On my previous tank I only foamed the background, with the new tank I want to use foam on the sides as well.

1. What would be the best way to go about this? For example, keeping the foam from sliding down while the tank is on its back.

2. Do I need wait after laying down the foam to add/embed bark? If so, how long do I allow it to set up before adding decorations?

I've used a ton of Great Stuff in the past mostly for its intended purpose, but also for concrete/latex molds, and I always seem to have a bunch leftover in the can. My understanding is that its a "one shot deal" and cannot be reused. BUT the can does mention "Great Stuff CAN seal itself shut. One time use SHOULD be expected" It says "can" and not "will" seal itself shut, I take that as its possible to preserve a little.

With that said......

3. Has anybody tried getting multiple attempts from one can by cleaning the tip and straw with acetone?

Two more questions, then I promise to leave you alone(at least for now).....

4. Any helpful tips, secrets, or tricks for using Great Stuff?

5. If I want to lay on a thick area of foam, is it best to do it in layers, or one thick application?

As always, I sincerely appreciate all of the help and opinions that I get from this forum. Everyone here has been kind, patient, and respectful towards one another. It's been a great place to get your questions answered, share knowledge, and enjoy frogs!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Great Stuff foam questions for everyone

Hi I will answer the questions as best as I can.

1. The foam actually will stick to the glass really well, the only thing I would worry about is seeing the white foam on the sides.
    2. Not sure.
    3. I know that it is possible but I have never tryed it myself.
    4-5. I would maybe do it in layers or it doesn't dry as fast, also I poked holes in the foam with toothpicks and misted the foam.

I hope this helps!
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

1. Foam will stick to the glass fine. I have found that the black pond and stone foam does not stick so well. Either way you can add a thin layer of Silicon to the glass and let it dry for 24 hours and then spray the spray foam over the silicon. If you used black silicone it would also serve as a way to hide the color of the foam from the outside of the tank.

2. No If you want to fix bark or wood into the foam it is best to use tape or anything to prop it up into place so it can be held securely at the angle you want it for 24 hours while the foam cures.

3. I have cleaned the straws but not with acetone. I just cut the straw back to a point where it looks clear. Also what I will do is if I am using more than one can on a side. I will use the same straw from can to can. This lets me save one of the cans straws to use later if I want to reuse a partially used can. Sometimes you have to dig dried foam out off the nozzle on the top of the can. If you do try this be careful and point the can away from your face while doing it.

4. Go slow, try to avoid straight lines and do a thinner layer than you think you want. It expands more than you would expect. Allow each coat to dry for at least 24 hours before turning the tank do do another side or before adding a coat on top of it.

5. I prefer to do several thin layers to build up the thickness.

If you havent already we have a thread that you might find useful with some common questions and guides on some of the more popular methods. I provided a link to it below.

http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...questions.html
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Default Great Stuff foam questions for everyone

4. Use multiple layers. As far as tips, wear gloves, wear gloves, wear gloves. Urethane foam does NOT come off of ANYTHING! Skin, clothes, hair, ect. Acetone does not work by the way. Even the great stuff website admits there is nothing that breaks it down.

My only other piece of advice for working with it is let it cure a minimum of 24 hours before working with it. If it is a thick layer, wait 72 hours.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

LOL, Bill's right about the foam. The first time I used it, I didn't wear gloves. I couldn't get the stuff off my hands for a week, and it came off with a layer of skin as well.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I agree with the responses you have already gotten. My personal foam of choice is Touch N Foam (black landscape version). I always put a thin layer of silicone down first, gives better bite for the foam to stick too. You can also silicone egg crate onto the back/side walls and let it dry before you foam it to give extra strength.
    I also find that I can use a can for a day or two by just cutting back the tip a little, but plan on using it ASAP. Thin multiple layers are better then trying to do in shot. I also usually silicone cork and driftwood in place first when possible, allow to dry before foaming.
    Just my 2 cents....

Thread Information