Thread: URGENT Clawed Frog has weird looking eyes

Exclamation URGENT Clawed Frog has weird looking eyes

My 9 year old clawed frog has not been eating. Now his eyes look like there is a membrane covering them. Is it an infection? We have put him in a salt bath, but his eyes still look like this:
    Name:  DSC07233.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  101.2 KB
    He lives in a 25 gallon tank.
    All the plants are fake.
    He only eats Reptomin sticks.

The pet store says he is just old and dying and there is nothing I can do. PLEASE help my frog!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: URGENT Clawed Frog has weird looking eyes

9 years old is not max age for ACF. Please answer the below questions to get better picture of situation. In the meantime get some Melafix and Pimafix at local pet store. Thank you !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR]

7. Substrate type?

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?

12. When is the last time frog ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

16. How old is the frog?

17. How long have you owned him/her?

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

19. Any medications in the water (treatment doses and for how long)?

20. Any salt in water (how much)?

21. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?

22. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).

By Lynn(flybyferns), GrifTheGreat, and aquatic questions added by Carlos(Mentat)
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)? 25 Gallons, full

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish? 1 frog, 1 plecostomus (sucker fish)

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments? Tap water, left for 24 hours at least and treated with dechlorinator

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)? 75 degrees

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media? Top Fin 20[/COLOR]

7. Substrate type? Large (golf ball sized) pebbles

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank? Artificial plants, plastic cave and castle, we soaked each addition in water to remove contaminants. Nothing new added in years.

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed? Reptomin, whenever the frog will eat- usually twice a week
    10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)? No

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used? Top light, on in the daytime, off at night

12. When is the last time frog ate? 1 month ago (frequently goes weeks without eating)

13. Have you found poop lately? No

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine). Name:  DSC07236.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  90.4 KB

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. Not eating, staying at top of tank. Belly looks normal, no redness or fungus.

16. How old is the frog? 9 years

17. How long have you owned him/her? 9 years

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred? captive bred

19. Any medications in the water (treatment doses and for how long)? Aquarium salt for 24 hours

20. Any salt in water (how much)? 1/2 teaspoon per gallon

21. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area? Low traffic

22. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.). Every few months all the rocks and plants are taken out and cleaned and all water is replaced. Water is added whenever water is low.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

The result of the Ammonia Cycle is Nitrate. At low levels it's fine; but when no water changes are conducted it can climb up and cause problems with any aquatic animals. Myself recommend start doing 10% water changes for 1st month and then recheck Nitrate levels. Try and get them to at least 25ppm and then adjust the water volume or frequency so it stays below that. Can clean filter media in tank water being removed during water change too. After using a good dechlorinator (Seachem Prime or ExoTerra Aquatize) can use water immediately as long as the temperature is the same as tank.

Myself would start a Melafix & Pimafix treatment after you start doing water changes. Add them according to label directions daily for a week and let us know if it helps with the eye issue. Also; need to vary diet a bit. Try feeding not dyed night crawlers (Walmart or local bait shop). Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

SailAwayAK

Doesn't eat? Wow. I've never had that happen. Mine are pigs!

I agree with Carlos, try getting some night crawlers from the bait shop. I give each of my frogs one, every other day. I also put tablets of frozen blood worms into the tank and they go nuts for them. Ive trained my frogs to eat the night crawlers from my hand. I tap on the top of the tank and the swim right up where I dip the crawler in and out of the tank. Same for the blood worms.

Looking at your frog, I wonder if your ammonia levels are high. Have you tested all of those?

Thank you both very much. I will be cleaning and medicating his tank today.
    I am worried Flipper might choke on nightcrawlers,though.He has deformed front limbs and can't eat large prey like a normal clawed frog.
    Name:  flipper.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  33.8 KB

What dosage should I use for a clawed frog? I am afraid the dosage on the bottle might be too much for a clawed frog.

Ammonia levels test at 0 ppm.

SailAwayAK

Did you test using liquid or strip?
    Do you have the other readings as well? Nitrates, nitrites?

Interestingly, the front flippers don't do much when it comes to control for eating the night crawlers. Front flippers just seem to work like shovels. LOL. Once the worm is in their mouths, if the worm crawls out, they will try to use those shovels to put it back in, however they usually use their back claws to rip and tear up the items they are eating. It's cool to see mother nature at work! Totally what they are designed for.

Thread Information