Thread: cbb Starry Night Reed Frogs (Heterixalus alboguttatus) - subadult

Nationality
    [United States]

Default cbb Starry Night Reed Frogs (Heterixalus alboguttatus) - subadult

I'm a hobby breeder and my group of Starry Night Reed Frogs was very prolific earlier this year.

I have >40 cbb subadults (3-4months ootw) available. They all morphed over the course of a month.

They are eating well, thriving, and starting to color up.

I've attached a picture of the one of the subadults taken about a month ago, and also a picture of an adult.

These are great, easy frogs.

Species - Heterixalus alboguttatus
    Line/Origin - Josh Frogs / Mike Novy
    Age - 3-4 months ootw
    Quantity - >40
    Pricing - $15 ea for 1-4
    $12 ea for 5-8
    $11 ea for 9 and above

Preferred Payment Method - Paypal
    Shipping Rates & information - Ship Your Reptiles / Reptile Express to your local FedEx Ship Center.
    All packing materials included in pricing above.

PM me your interest/questions ; provide your zipcode/local FedEx Ship Center for a shipping rate quote.

Thanks!

James
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Tzunu un; October 29th, 2014 at 05:07 PM. Reason: typos, learning to post

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: cbb Starry Night Reed Frogs (Heterixalus alboguttatus) - subadult

Are they easy to care for and would 65 gallon bow front be suitable?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: cbb Starry Night Reed Frogs (Heterixalus alboguttatus) - subadult

They are very easy to care for as they are great in groups ( I have never seen any aggression, etc.) and they aren't picky eaters as they will eat a range of sizes of prey when adults.
    I feed mine D. hydei and small crickets (1/4" to 3/8"). The small crickets found at pet stores are usually in this range, or raising your own Drosophila hydei as a main food item cuts down on costs.

They are nocturnal frogs, but they will come out during the day to bask as well. They also will come out during the day to eat if you feed them on a regular schedule/placement and they are used to it. Having more individuals housed together increases the viewing. They do call at night.

Some suggestions:

I currently have a group of 6 in a 18x18x24 ExoTerra. In my experience this is more than adequate for 6, and perhaps more could be accommodated or the 6 could also be housed in a 12X12X18 ExoTerra. I do plan to downsize my group to a 12x12x18 in the near future to save some space.
    The 65" bowfront could house a lot of these.

The vivarium should have a water feature as they do sometimes enter the water and definitely like to hang out near it. The setup can be entirely water on the bottom (with filter and heater) and a couple of potted plants (like pothos) (what I have the subadults in), or a false bottom vivarium with the open water feature being a portion of the bottom (what I have the adults in). The frogs are great swimmers (won't drown) and they also don't need a lot of floor space as they climb on anything and spend most of the daytime off the ground. Also the water feature will be a popular place when they spawn. In fact if I don't remove the eggs from my adult tank, then a small portion of the tadpoles develop and morph in situ. For larger numbers of tadpoles/morphs, remove the eggs and rear separately. The tadpoles are easy to raise and morph in my experience and the adults are prolific.

For additional info check out this article on the related blue-back reed frog written by Devin Edmonds:
    Breeding Blue-back Reed Frogs

The care etc. of these is identical.

Let me know if there are any other questions.

James

Thread Information