Thread: Expanding foam-

aquaman3680

Default Expanding foam-

Hey,

Just a quick question is the "Great Stuff" expanding foam okay to use? Or is there something else that I should use instead of that?

Also to get the soil to stick to the expanding foam do I do that right after I put the foam on? Or do I let it dry first?

Thanks,

Matt

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Expanding foam-

It's safe to use but keep in mind that despite what many guides state, it takes months for this stuff to cure if you apply it in any expanded thickness of an inch (2.5 cm) or more. As it cures it gives off unsafe gases that are not good for animals, including amphibians. I usually apply expanding foam, let it "cure" for a week and then put holes in it with a tooth pick to help it cure. I generally don't use it for anything alive until a few weeks have passed.

As for applying the substrate to it, I highly recommend you let it cure first and then use brown silicone as a coating onto which you put the substrate. I tried doing what you're talking about, where you try to immediately press substrate into newly applied foam and I was never happy with the result - it looks very patchy and the substrate never really attaches to the foam that way.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Paul Rust

I have a question John, when I think of silicone i think of heavy, sticky stuff from a tube. Are you using something different that is more easily managed? I want to try this with my new tank as well.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I use the GE II Brown silicone for windows and doors. It's not fun to manipulate - wear gloves. I use a caulking gun to put out a bunch of it in the general area required and then I use my fingers/and to spread it around (it still needs to be thick though). Then I put a ton of coconut husk and peat moss on it and press it in.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information