Thread: My Albino Pacman Frog

Default My Albino Pacman Frog

1. Size of enclosure: 10 Gallon Tank
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences- Just 1, albino Pacman frog
    3. Humidity- 80% - 85%
    4. Temperature- About 70 F
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish- Treated tap water
    6. Materials used for substrate- Coconut Fiber (Eco earth)
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - Artificial plants
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.- Soaked for a day
    8. Main food source- Crickets
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)- Every other day crickets are dusted and they're always gut loaded
    10. Lighting- UVB bulb
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure- the room he's in is always 70- 73 F
    12. When is the last time he/she ate- Yesterday at about 9:30 (That's when I feed him/ her. I call it a him)
    13. Have you found poop lately- I found it yesterday and I normally find it every couple of days
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)- Ill get one soon
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.- No problems looking for advice on some other things I'll post below
    16. How old is the frog- Not sure, under 4 months probably
    17. How long have you owned him/her- 4-6 weeks
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred- Not sure
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats- Every day
    20. How often the frog is handled- never and if he is, I use a cup to scoop him up
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area- low traffic
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)- I clean his water dish every day, I clean the plants once a week, and I take out poop whenever I see it.

Now I'm looking for some advice on a couple of things.

I read that you should stop feeding them everyday after a certain age. What is that age?

I also read that some frogs poo very infrequently. He's been going about every other day to every three days. Is this normal?

I'd like to start using live plants instead of artificial. Any suggestions for attractive plants for a 10 gallon? I'd prefer leafy/ bushy ones but will think about any.

Right now I feed him crickets everyday dusted with calcium every other day. What should I feed him that's small as a treat every once in a while to vary his diet? I have guppy fry fairly regularly, would these be ok? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the frog forum!!!

The temperature is too low. It should be 80-83 during the day and 75-77 at night.

Are you using BOTH vitamins and calcium? The schedule should be calcium every other feeding and vitamins once a week.

When the frog reaches about two inches in length, the feedings should be reduced to every other day. At four inches onward, the feedings should be three times a week.

Well, since you have been feeding him every day, the frequent pooping is normal. After you reduce his feeding schedule, when he reaches that age, he will poop less often.

Pacmans will often dig up plants. But ones that may work are Sansevieria, Dracaena, Pothos, and possibly Philodendron.

I don't think that fish should be fed. They can carry parasites. I just wouldn't risk it.

Nightcrawlers that are dye and chemical free should be the staple for pacman frogs. You can buy them online, at walmart, or at a local bait shop. Crickets and dubia roaches are good ways to VARY diet.

Occasional treats like pinky mice. Waxworms or hornworms can be fed once a month. They are very high in fat. Its like feeding a donut to your frog.

Foods not to feed at all
    Mealworms
    Superworms
    Phoenix worms
    The first two have a tough exoskeleton and the last has even been reported to pass through the frog still alive!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: My Albino Pacman Frog

Hello and welcome to FF! Eli gave you good info already; it's very important you get the enclosure day temp to 82F for a baby ASAP. Adults can handle up to 84F OK. A 60 watt ceramic heat emitter on a dome with built in dimmer will work fine to heat up a 10G.

How long is frog from snout to vent? A tiny baby can get stressed in a large 10G tank. We recommend getting a smaller enclosure like an ExoTerra medium breeding box and keeping baby in there with around an in. of shredded coco, a water dish, and a small silk plant. Then you place the whole thing in the 10G and regulate it's humidity and temperature that way. Once frog reaches 3 in. you can release in 10G. Hope this helps and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thank you to both Eli and Carlos!

I'm actually just using calcium. I didn't know they needed vitamins. Can you tell me a few good brands and how to give them to him?

Edgar is about 1 3/4 in. I had never heard that! I'll pick up a box, a heater, and vitamins when I go to buy him more crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]

The best brand that I and most members have used is Repashy.

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]

Myself use Repashy and for a Pacman, would recommend their daily use product Calcium Plus. If going with separate CA/D3 and multivitamin products; here are some sample schedules for you: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

So if I use the calcium plus everyday, I don't need to feed vitamins, right? Edgar is honestly the greatest. I never though Id love a frog so much!

Im learning so much I didn't know! They don't have to much info out there about Pacmans and this is just great!

Superretard42

Take the uv bulb out...if you're Pacman is albino then the uv bulb is harmful.....it will also eventually blind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Superretard42 View Post
    Take the uv bulb out...if you're Pacman is albino then the uv bulb is harmful.....it will also eventually blind him.
    Really?!? It's only on maybe an hour a day. I only turn it on while I'm in the room. It's actually a lamp so its not even facing the tank, its facing the other direction. Is that still ok?

I would take it out, uvb is harmful to some frogs. I would especially take it out since it is an albino, you could get a normal lamp to light the cage?

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [Canada]

Oh gosh... Yes you absolutely can't have UvB. Get just regular energy saving lamp for light, something really dim.

albinos skin and especially eyes are very sensitive to any light. Think bright sun and very fair skinned person going outside without sunscreen.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Oh gosh... Yes you absolutely can't have UvB. Get just regular energy saving lamp for light, something really dim.

albinos skin and especially eyes are very sensitive to any light. Think bright sun and very fair skinned person going outside without sunscreen.
    Ok thanks guys! I changed the bible as soon as I saw this.

I really love Edgar! I never thought it possible but he's so full of personality and during feeding time he chases the crickets around! I guess he's too impatient to wait!

Superretard42

Just make sure you supplement him properly with d3.

Thread Information