Thread: My frog seems to be male but he seems small for his age...? (pictures)

Default My frog seems to be male but he seems small for his age...? (pictures)

So I heard my African bullfrog croaking a whole bunch last night which would indicate he is a boy, right? I feel like he's small for his age though. He's a little over a year old and not very large. Does he look male to you? What could be causing him to stay so little? I let him eat until he won't eat anymore, I offer him food nightly, temps are good, and I don't handle him unless I'm taking him out to eat in his feeding bin.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Manny

Default Re: My frog seems to be male but he seems small for his age...? (pictures)

Yeah your lucky it's a male

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My frog seems to be male but he seems small for his age...? (pictures)

Nice healthy frog ! I have a male ABF with both Giant and Dwarf characteristics (a hybrid?) and he topped out already at 4 in. SVL!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

are u sure u heard croaks?? bc from the looks of it, ur frog looks 110% female to me....ive had 3 females and they all looked almost exactly like ur frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Looks like it has features of both sexes.

That's the weird thing, when I first posted pictures everyone here said it looked like a giant and a dwarf. I know for sure it was a croak because it was a low cow-like sound and it happened 9 times throughout the night. Each time I had to make sure it was actually coming from him This frog has had me confused since the beginning haha

Nationality
    [United States]

If it sounded like a bull call; it's a male ! Can see my little Duncan in here: http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...yxie-frog.html. More info on current ABF species status in here: http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...us-status.html.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    If it sounded like a bull call; it's a male ! Can see my little Duncan in here: http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...yxie-frog.html. More info on current ABF species status in here: http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...us-status.html.
    How is Duncan Carlos? And your Albino Frecieta? Is that her name?
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; October 24th, 2014 at 09:54 AM.

Nationality
    [United States]

I think your frog is a boy because: a) he called, and b) he has the expanded forearms typical of adult males. His size is good for an individual +1 year old. Nice frog.

Nationality
    [France]

Looks like a female to me...
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

falconez

For me it's a female 100%.
    The pictures taken from above,look the shape and the proportions head/body;the fact that's not that big to be a 1yr male (but perfect for a female),leave me no doubt .
    Ah...as just said before,also female can croak .

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    How is Duncan Carlos? And your Albino Frecieta? Is that her name?
    Hi Collen/Jerrod ! Duncan is doing fine and is still same size as when I got him. If you are referring to my last Pacman; a friend adopted her long time ago.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by falconez View Post
    For me it's a female 100%.
    The pictures taken from above,look the shape and the proportions head/body;the fact that's not that big to be a 1yr male (but perfect for a female),leave me no doubt .
    Ah...as just said before,also female can croak .
    I agree! females can produce noises too, not like males though. It looks like typical female to me judged by body type, very pretty may I add.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information