Thread: Need help ASAP!!!! Injured PCF

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Need help ASAP!!!! Injured PCF

So I was doing my rounds, scooping frogs up and moving them out of the road and I found this poor thing limping across the road. If it was just a broken leg, I figured I could help her heal for a couple days. I looked closer, and she had a wound on the side of her and it was weeping what you see in the picture and it's really freaking me out cuz I have no idea what it is, and now I'm nervous to take her home or even release her (which I would rather not do) if it's something that would be harmful to other frogs, and the herp vet here only works Wednesdays. Thank you

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413861669.165668.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  24.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413861678.018683.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  23.2 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Is it possible these are eggs seeping out of the wound? They're all clumped together as opposed to breaking apart. I saw a picture of a deceased frog with eggs coming out of a wound that I'd rather not post, but I want to be careful here in case it's something else. Thank you.

Default Re: Need help ASAP!!!! Injured PCF

It looks EXACTLY like eggs to me. I would try taking it to a vet and see what they can do. I hope that this poor frog heals good

Nationality
    [United States]

Poor baby. Thank you for confirming my suspicion, it really freaked me out at first lol. The wound looks like it's very deep, and I think one or both of her legs are broken, although it could be the wound affecting her. If she didn't have so much fight in her, I would consider euthanasia but she seems to be trucking along although I'm sure she's in considerable pain, I would absolutely hate to give up on her if she's not ready to go yet. The wound looks pretty bad, and she's bleeding but I'll have to wait until all of the eggs come out and she calms down to get a better idea.

Yea besides the eggs spilling it she looks healthy overall. I would try to get her healed as best as you can. I hope she halls good and can finish the rest of her life happily, even if it is in captivity

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
    0.1.0 Pseudacris regilla (r.i.p. Green Beauty)
    0.0.1 Bufo boreas boreas? (r.i.p. )
    0.0.4 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Powder Blue'

Nationality
    [United States]

Well it looks like the eggs have dried to her side. I tried getting her to soak in warm water with no luck. Other than that, she seems to be doing well. The night I found her she was a very pale green without any patterns, the next morning she was a deep green with beautiful patterns

Also, does anyone have any tips on cleaning a wound without further hurting the poor thing? I know it's painful, but I don't want to make the wound any worse but it definitely needs to be cleaned.

Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414192951.083844.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  45.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414192965.874609.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  45.0 KB here's some pictures of her. She's gotten a lot better. I got most of the eggs off of her, and her wound isn't as terrible as I thought (still pretty bad though). She's still not able to hop and doesn't walk very well, but overall she's a very healthy wild froggie. Hoping for a full recovery!

Hope she does okay!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

10. This member thanks Strider18 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It's too bad more people didn't chime in to help you Wish I had more to offer, but without seeing the poor girl in person I just don't know what to add. Could you get a video of her and try to zoom in to the wound? I wonder if she was grabbed by a snake...

I would keep her in very sanitary conditions (looks like you've got her on damp paper towels which is good). Wondering if Melafix could be used on her wound... Is she eating at all? I would give her only the most digestible food, no mealworms; crickets with the hind legs removed possibly.

Good luck with her, keep us updated!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Nationality
    [United States]

I'll try to get a video today. I've been putting neosporin on her (without pain reliever) every day which seems to be helping. I tried giving her a cricket, but she wouldn't eat it. It looks like she had a pretty big meal before I found her though so I'm not too worried about it. I put a couple fruit flies in with her and she snacked on those. Thank you for the help!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessalyn View Post
    I'll try to get a video today. I've been putting neosporin on her (without pain reliever) every day which seems to be helping. I tried giving her a cricket, but she wouldn't eat it. It looks like she had a pretty big meal before I found her though so I'm not too worried about it. I put a couple fruit flies in with her and she snacked on those. Thank you for the help!
    No problem, anything to help our little green friends Eating is a good sign at least! Might be best to just stick to the smaller meals, I'd give her as many fruit flies as she wants to eat within 15 mins; be sure to dust them. Can you tell if she still has an open wound? Glad the Neosporin seems to help; might not need the Melafix, although tea tree oil is a wonder for many injuries and bacterial infections, etc. Keeping my fingers crossed for her!
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

Nationality
    [United States]

I know the wound is open somewhere since her eggs were spilling out, but I haven't been able to find it yet. It's kind of tucked behind her leg on her side so it's difficult to see. I'll give the tea tree oil a whirl, I'm worried her wound might get infected although it hasn't shown any signs of doing so.

Nationality
    [Canada]

You better not use any oils! And continue with polisporin/neosporin you used.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    You better not use any oils! And continue with polisporin/neosporin you used.
    Melafix can't be used on amphibians? It's a fish product. Thought I read somewhere on here that it could be used...? Like Lija says, if there's any question about its safety at all I wouldn't use it though :S
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just searched and found this... so yeah... :O http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...e-melafix.html
    Mom to these fine frogs!

How is she doing? I really hope she does better! Oh and btw I may have a little surprise later tonight

0.1.0 Psuedacris regilla

Thread Information