Thread: Looking into a frog setup!

aquaman3680

Default Looking into a frog setup!

Hey all,

New to the forums here. I am looking into setting up a frog set-up. I work for a pet store and we are going to be expanding our amphibian section, so I figured I would take some initiative and set up a setup of my own. I am a bit lost as far as what type of frogs I would like to keep. I am really into setups. I have designed and setup many vivariums/terrariums. I am going to be looking at doing a 20 gallon setup and really want to have some type of water feature in the setup, whether it be a waterfall or a small pond like area.

What type of frogs might you suggest doing in this type of setup? I have been thinking about the fire belly toads but they are not all that exciting, I would prefer to do some type of tree frog.

Let me know what you think

Matt

Default Re: Looking into a frog setup!

Hi Matt!

I work for a petstore too. Is it a chain store or a better store?

White's treefrogs are great, active ones to have, and a great beginner frog, but having a water feature with them is a little harder. They are big and clumsy acrobatic frogs. Everytime I tried to have a pond area, they dirty it up and I ended up having to take the setup apart and redo it every few months. I didn't have an actual filter in the water though, and I'm sure others have had better luck than I have.

Fire-bellied toads can be active and croak quite a bit (though it's a soft croak, so it won't drive you crazy). They're very frisky. I still prefer tree frogs. And there are smaller species of tree frogs, but I do not have any (though I am currently considering the clown treefrogs) so I can't offer as much help on them.

Paul Rust

Welcome aboard.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the forum Matt.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

aquaman3680

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    Hi Matt!

I work for a petstore too. Is it a chain store or a better store?

White's treefrogs are great, active ones to have, and a great beginner frog, but having a water feature with them is a little harder. They are big and clumsy acrobatic frogs. Everytime I tried to have a pond area, they dirty it up and I ended up having to take the setup apart and redo it every few months. I didn't have an actual filter in the water though, and I'm sure others have had better luck than I have.

Fire-bellied toads can be active and croak quite a bit (though it's a soft croak, so it won't drive you crazy). They're very frisky. I still prefer tree frogs. And there are smaller species of tree frogs, but I do not have any (though I am currently considering the clown treefrogs) so I can't offer as much help on them.
    I guess technically I do work for a chain store, Petland, but all are individually owned and operated so we still have quality livestock and all that we are working to expand the amphibian section of our store. This is really exciting for me as I have always had a fascination for these creatures.

Would it be possible to mix a whites and fire bellys in the same tank?

If not can oone do fish and frogs in the same tank?

Any infoo would be great.

Thanks,

Matt

The Petland in this area is so bad. They mistreat their animals. But I know that there's good and bad with all the chains.

Frogs can't be mixed. It's really hard to find frogs from the exact same region, so they would have different requirements. Also, frogs secrete toxins that are harmful to other frogs. Mixing frogs will lead to problems with cross-contamination. Also, the White's might try to eat the fire-bellied toads! Also, the toads are semi-aquatic and seem to like to spend a lot of time in the water. White's spend much of their time climbing and need a lot of ventilation.

I think there are some fish you can put with some frogs, but it's not something I want to try, and I'm unsure of what can mix with what.

The Petland here only has like one or two types of frogs, so I'm sure it's exciting to expand the amphibian section. I hope you find one you really want to keep.

aquaman3680

Quote Originally Posted by 1beataway View Post
    The Petland in this area is so bad. They mistreat their animals. But I know that there's good and bad with all the chains.

Frogs can't be mixed. It's really hard to find frogs from the exact same region, so they would have different requirements. Also, frogs secrete toxins that are harmful to other frogs. Mixing frogs will lead to problems with cross-contamination. Also, the White's might try to eat the fire-bellied toads! Also, the toads are semi-aquatic and seem to like to spend a lot of time in the water. White's spend much of their time climbing and need a lot of ventilation.

I think there are some fish you can put with some frogs, but it's not something I want to try, and I'm unsure of what can mix with what.

The Petland here only has like one or two types of frogs, so I'm sure it's exciting to expand the amphibian section. I hope you find one you really want to keep.
    Hmmm... what about dart frogs... as far as ease of husbandry? Woould they use or enjoy a water feature at all?

I've been considering darts lately too, and from what I've learned, it takes time to make sure that the temperature and humidity are just right, and it would be better to start with a hardier species, but once all those details are settled, they're not too bad. But I have no experience, and plenty of people on here do, so I'll let someone else answer more.

White's is a greater beginner treefrog though, and definitely one of my favorites.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman3680 View Post
    Hmmm... what about dart frogs... as far as ease of husbandry? Woould they use or enjoy a water feature at all?
    Once you get the hang of them (temperature, humidity, regular food supply, light for plants) they are among the cheapest and easiest to maintain. If you want to start with a tough species, the two species on the Frog TV cam are among the hardiest and most visible, as you can see.

FrogForum - Frog TV - Frog Cam Live

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Once you get the hang of them (temperature, humidity, regular food supply, light for plants) they are among the cheapest and easiest to maintain. If you want to start with a tough species, the two species on the Frog TV cam are among the hardiest and most visible, as you can see.

FrogForum - Frog TV - Frog Cam Live
    You're doing great advertising Frog TV. And I'm enjoying it.

And thanks for mentioning how hardy those frogs are....how territorial are the Phyllobates terribilis?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

They're not territorial. They live well in nice groups like this.

Kurt

Welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    They're not territorial. They live well in nice groups like this.
    I guess I assumed darts were just territorial. You should be helping in my search for my next frog.

Thread Information