Thread: Western clawed frog has suspicious lump in stomach

ratty

Exclamation Western clawed frog has suspicious lump in stomach

My sister owns a western clawed frog who recently developed a large lump on one side of his stomach. He lives in 10 gallon tank with no gravel, except for a few small pieces that were left over when we removed it all. In the past, it seemed like he swallowed and passed a rock, but this time there are no rocks big enough to have made this lump. He is also severely malnourished, my sister feeds him little frog pellets, thought we also try to feed him beef heart as often as possible. Is this some type of frog illness? Or a symptom of being underfed? I will post a picture later.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ratty

Default Re: Western clawed frog has suspicious lump in stomach

Name:  tumblr_ndln600fVc1trsn3wo1_500.png
Views: 576
Size:  302.5 KB
    Here's a picture. As you can see, he has a big lump, but we took out all the big rocks in his tank before this happened.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry frog is not doing well . Please answer below questions to see if there is something causing lump. Might need to take frog to herp veterinary for x-ray to try and see what is cause, this might help locate one: Arav and Herp Vet Connection . Good luck !

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”

The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR]

7. Substrate type?

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?

12. When is the last time frog ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

16. How old is the frog?

17. How long have you owned him/her?

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

19. Any medications in the water (treatment doses and for how long)?

20. Any salt in water (how much)?

21. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?

22. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).

By Lynn(flybyferns), GrifTheGreat, and aquatic questions added by Carlos(Mentat)
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

ratty

He lives alone in a 10 gallon tank filled 4/5 of the way up. We use tap water and condition with top fin. He doesn't have a heater or a thermometer, we try to just keep our house warm (not sure if this really works). We use a small, low fillter. I can't tell you the water chemistry right now but I'm sure it's pretty dirty (what is the best Ph for aquatic frogs?). Only a few tiny pieces of gravel left in the tank, we took most of it out the fist time we thought he swallowed a rock. Frog is malnourished and skiny, my sister mostly only feeds him little pellets, occasionally beefheart. Frog is 2 years old, we got him in the mail as a tadpole. Tank is in a low traffic area, with only a little sunlight. Water changes are only preformed when the water gets really dirty. The frog hasn't eaten in two days, after swallowing a huge chunk of beefheart(he had the lump in his stomach before this). We don't live near any hep vets. Sorry conditions are so bad, as this is my sisters frog, I tried to let her have responsibility for him.

Nationality
    [United States]

Here is a care sheet can use on frog: http://www.frogforum.net/care-sheet-...are-sheet.html. Do 10% same temperature dechlorinated tap water changes daily to improve the tanks water quality without shocking frog by a large change. Clean the filter media in the water you are removing from tank; not tap.

Clawed frogs can also eat not dyed night crawlers available at Walmart or local bait shops. A 3 in. frog should be able to handle full worms; if smaller can cut worms with scissors from pointy end to same length as frogs body is. Sorry; but the information provided in answer is not enough to draw any conclusions about lump.

7. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

ratty

At this rate, can someone just tell me if there are any frog diereses that can give them lumps like this?

Nationality
    [United States]

Impaction caused by improper food or ingested gravel; internal parasites or bacteria; cyst, cancer, diseased organ, it's guesswork to tell without veterinarian test or x-ray .

Thread Information