Thread: Fantasy Frog PTSD??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Fantasy Frog PTSD??

Hi Frog Forum!

We have 4 frogs, 3 pac man and 1 GABF. We're pretty good, attentive frog parents, but we're having an issue.

Our fantasy frog, Yogi, used to have a really big appetite, and was a skillful hunter when he was a little frog. He and the other 2 pac mans each have their own 10g terrarium equipped with a reptifogger and hygrotherm that maintains consistent temperature and humidity, 84 degrees at day time and 80 at night, 80 percent humidity.

So here's what happened. One day i was rearranging the room that they're kept in, and i put Yogi on a shelf. The shelving unit was from ikea and kind of wobbly. Yogi was on the 3rd shelf, about 3.5 feet up. When you walked into the room the shelf jiggled a bit but nothing so much that I thought anything would fall. That night, we heard some knocking against the glass in one of the terrariums and got up to investigate. We found Yogi very puffed up and defensive, and attacking what i think was either his reflection or the green light from the hygrotherm. We immediately moved his terrarium to the floor and he relaxed.

Ever since, he's had some sort of PTSD. He gets very nervous and shaky even with loud noises or if you take the lid off the terrarium to feed him. He won't eat voluntarily. We let crickets run around in his terrarium in hopes that he will catch them on his own time, but he doesn't. He is always buried in the dirt or hiding in his log. We've resorted to sneaking him food when he's molting. He'll open his mouth and we'll put a Dubia in there before he closes it again. He can't east like this forever though, and he's not growing nearly as fast as our other frogs because of this issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We love him and want him to thrive!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Fantasy Frog PTSD??

From your post; Yogi appears to be stressed. Myself would check all parameters in the enclosure are OK and do verify gauges are reading OK against others. Have you done a fecal on this frog? Are 3 sides covered to reduce stress and help prevent reflections? Let us know and good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

We'll try that! The back is covered with a printed jungle background, and we put a leafy garland on the right side so he couldn't see into another terrarium, but the left side is clear. And the fecal test is a good idea. Maybe he got some kind of bug when he was stressed out from being high on the shelf.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Can you tell us a bit more about Yogi.

would you please post pic of him and his enclosure as well would you answer all the questions of the trouble in the enclosure including supplements, cleaning, water used, etc. all the qs! Thank you! There are a few more things I'm thinking here...

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.
    16. How old is the frog
    17. How long have you owned him/her
    18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    19. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    20. How often the frog is handled
    21. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    22. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok guys i'll answer the questions by number, then attach the pics.

1. 10g terrarium with screen lid.

2. 1 inhabitant, Yogi the fantasy frog.

3. 80%

4. 84 day, 80 night

5. Tap water treated with reptisafe for the bowl, distilled water for the reptifogger

6. Coconut husk fiber ecoearth

7. Artificial plants for cover, plastic printed sheet with jungle theme for background applied to the outside back of the terrarium, resin log for hiding, resin corner water bowl. Items are cleaned with hot water before they're put in.

8. Dubia nymphs and crickets

9. Reptivite or rep cal calcium powder with D3. We alternate supplements any chance we can get him to eat, so maybe once every 7 to 11 days?

10. Whatever natural light comes in, we don't use any supplemental lighting.

11. Ceramic heat emitter regulated by hygrotherm

12. 9 days ago

13. last week

14. Symptoms described in original post, no visible physical changes except slow weight gain compared to his peers. He puts on 3 to 5 g/month vs 20g / mo with the other frogs.

16. 11mos

17. 10 mos
    18. Captive bred
    19. Crickets and dubia nymphs. He eats when we catch him molting.

20. sometimes we pick him up to put him in the soaking bowl when we try to get him to eat and make sure he stays hydrated. Also to be removed from the enclosure for cleaning and substrate change. Approx. 3x per month.

21. Medium. Our 4 frogs are in the same area, as well as the bug colony, so we're moving around there nightly to feed frogs or bugs, and to feed and clean up after the tortoise.

22. Water bowl is changed daily, although he doesn't often use it, terrarium is cleaned monthly, dirt is changed when its cleaned, we use Healthy Habitat spray cleaner and rinse thoroughly, and wash all decor with hot water.

Nationality
    [United States]

Nationality
    [United States]

for reference, this is Squacamole, who we got at the same time as yogi, and livres in the same general conditions.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Squacamole is such a cool name!

back to Yogi, keep in mind he is only part cranwelli. Every frog is different, what is true to one might not be that to the other, so weight gain at be different too. The cornuta part in him might be causing that behaviour.

he looks perfectly fine, I think that is a girl by the way can you confirm? Everything is spot on, good job!
    i suggest you put something hanging, plant perhaps in that corner she likes. And cover the other side, the one that is open now, or ever better stick hanging plant there as well.

By the way for some adult frogs it is normal to go without food for longer periods. Say my fatties now sometimes eat once in a week or 2 weeks, but really big meal.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the good advice! We thought he was male because he makes a really nasal call, but maybe Yogi is a girl! It would be a good balance as Squac and Tomato are for sure male. They have the puffy chins! As long a you guys think he or she looks good, I'm good! I guess i didn't take into account that he might show more of his Cornuta side. Come to think of it he's got the big eyebrows and frowny face that is consistent with cornuta so maybe he just favors that side of himself! Thanks good for the help!

Nationality
    [United States]

Squac got his name because the first time he called we were like "what was that??". And he looks like guacamole, and hangs out in a bowl.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey, I don't know if that is a boy or a girl, only that it looks like a girl
    check for nuptial pads - dark mole looking pads in the inside sides ( closer to body) of his/her thumbs.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

A few other notes on Yog, I bought him, squac, and tomato all at the same show in Pamona back in early January. They were all roughly the same size of froglets, and grew similar amounts for the first 4 months, and all were eating well and regularly. The shelving unit he was put on was sturdy but could wobble a bit. That night he was banging into the side of the terrarium and each time the shelf would wobble, he would get scared then jump into the glass again. Ever since that day, his temperament has been different, he gets easily excited and refuses to eat. His growth rate has been much less than the others, and it would be even less if I didn't watch for the times he is molting and pop dubias in his mouth when he opens it. I didn't start doing that until he hadn't really eaten for a couple months. He doesn't look skinny, and does call occasionally, so I don't think he is in really bad shape, it's just the refusal to eat anything for long periods of time while the other two will gobble down two good sized dubias every other night makes me a bit concerned.

Thread Information