Thread: Red poop from ackie

Monza geckos

Default Red poop from ackie

Hi I have a trio of yellow/brown ackie monitors. They are all about 4-5 months old. The suspected alpha male was getting pretty big so I went to the pet shop yesterday and got him one of those miniature pinkies. I just got up today to turn on their lights and I noticed that he had just done a pretty normal poop with a tinge of red. Is this just the pinkys blood and guts or is this some sort of infection. He is eating normally as just as I have been writing this he has just demolished 5 crickets. The only case of red poo in ackies I have came across is one where some one found that locusts seam to cause it, but I have mine on a 3crickets to 1 locust ratio. I have only ever had this in a crestie when I found out that blueberries cause red poo. Finally he sneezes apparently this is normal. Please help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pirarucu

Default Re: Red poop from ackie

Quote Originally Posted by Monza geckos View Post
    Hi I have a trio of yellow/brown ackie monitors. They are all about 4-5 months old. The suspected alpha male was getting pretty big so I went to the pet shop yesterday and got him one of those miniature pinkies. I just got up today to turn on their lights and I noticed that he had just done a pretty normal poop with a tinge of red. Is this just the pinkys blood and guts or is this some sort of infection. He is eating normally as just as I have been writing this he has just demolished 5 crickets. The only case of red poo in ackies I have came across is one where some one found that locusts seam to cause it, but I have mine on a 3crickets to 1 locust ratio. I have only ever had this in a crestie when I found out that blueberries cause red poo. Finally he sneezes apparently this is normal. Please help
    Some pictures would help, both of his feces and of their cage. How are they set up? Temperatures, humidity, substrate?
    It's definitely not the pinky's blood, that is all digested. It is more likely an infection, which is why I ask about the setup. Typically monitors just don't get infections if they're properly supported, their immune systems are incredibly strong if they're healthy.

Monza geckos

False alarm, after some research apparently a lot of locusts can cause a reddish tinge due to that stuff they puke before they are eaten, and I know for a fact he eats a lot of locusts. But just to be safe I have 3 4-5 month old hatchlings in a 4ft long 2 ft wide and 2ft tall wooden komodo vivarium, they have a basking stack which at the top gets about 125 degrees Fahrenheit, they have a moss box under a piece of cork bark at the cool side and a large water dish. they have one burrow under the stack that they all share. I feed them half a tub of crickets a day and scrambled egg once a week. They don't fight as I have had this problem in the past and I know fighting can cause bleeds. I dust their food about once every three feeding's and I dust the egg. the cool side is about 85 degrees. I plan on just checking the next poop for blood and If it proceeds a little trip to the vets will be arranged. But the male is still eating as he has just ate like 12 crickets and some egg today. Maybe the prey item was too big?

Monza geckos

Any other advice?

Monza geckos

OH NO he is really lethargic and not eating much, he hasn't done a poop in a day so im gonna give him a bath someone with experience please give me help it's urgent I don't want to lose such a nice hatchling.

Pirarucu

Quote Originally Posted by Monza geckos View Post
    OH NO he is really lethargic and not eating much, he hasn't done a poop in a day so im gonna give him a bath someone with experience please give me help it's urgent I don't want to lose such a nice hatchling.
    Bathing him really won't help, contrary to popular belief soaking in water does just about nothing except stress the animal out. I'd not bother with the scrambled egg, as most of the nutrients are being cooked out of it. Feed a wider variety of insects, things like roaches, worms, etc, and add in some pinky mice. It's also worth noting that 135F works better for the basking temperature than 125F. One day really isn't much to worry about, can you clarify a bit what you mean by lethargy? Again, pictures would help a lot here.

Monza geckos

He is lethargic as he isn't moving as quickly as the others and he is closing his eyelids a lot, I can only put this down to he was too immature to handle the pinky and I should just feed him insects until he gets bigger. What would you like the pictures for as he really doesn't look any different he's just a chubby little hatchling.

Monza geckos

Here is some pictures of him basking and him with the others
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Pirarucu

Just to see what condition he's in. I would recommend adding more soil and not having the substrate as almost entirely sand, as it makes it hard to dig a proper burrow. Sure they can just clear the sand out from under other things like the basking spot, but they should be able to dig actual tunnels. It's possible that the lethargy could be from the pinky just being a very large meal, if that is the case then I would just get some frozen pinkies and chop them up into smaller pieces to make them easier to digest.

Monza geckos

Oh it's soil on the cool side and they have burrows under the basking area, he was just constipated and uncomfortable as he's now running about and has passed a very large stoole I'm getting more sand and soil for when their older, I just use non pesticide play sand and coco husk

Thread Information