Thread: Petco Thought She Was Poo!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Talking Petco Thought She Was Poo!

Well I did it again. A couple days ago I stopped to get crickets, but I'd made up my mind to get a little brown and white WTF baby that I'd seen there a couple different times throughout the week. She was always on the mopani wood in the middle of the small cage and always seemed to be asleep... the last time before I bought her she was so black I almost missed her on the darker section of wood! Well the gal opened the enclosure and we looked in and I didn't see the frog. She wasn't on the plant where a greener twin of Shirley was sitting (I wound up bringing her home too, lol) and he wanted all squished into the top corner of the tank, next to the gauges, with the rest of the little frogs. I noticed they'd finally cleaned the cage and that the mopani had been moved so the girl turned it over. There, smooshed as flat as she could go and covered with substrate was the little frog... the girl didn't even see her! She said, "Isn't that poop?" I gently nudged the "poo" with one finger and froggy moved... "Oh, it IS a frog!" Geeze, poor thing, how long would she have been buried under that wood in the substrate?? So, she came home with me. I named her Belly Bean because she looks like an espresso Jelly Belly (at the moment anyway) and I named the other girl Sheila.

Took some more pics today where she looks MUCH happier, but these were taken when she and her companion came home.

Name:  Jelly Bean and Sheila Collage_10.9.14.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  71.1 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LisaGarcia

Default Re: Petco Thought She Was Poo!

You do know to separate them from Shirley and honey right? Just to make sure that they don't get or give anything to the them..

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Petco Thought She Was Poo!

Yes, keep your new frogs separate from your other frogs for awhile until you know they are healthy. Have their feces tested for parasites.

You'll be happy you did . This also gives you time to make sure they're eating, pooping, and behaving properly.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh, and congrats a on your new new frogs!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

LisaGarcia

Oh yea.. Sorry.. Congrats on your new babies!! I found our Petco has new ones in and there is a honey looking one.. I have to get the tank up and going before I can get her/him or any others.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yup! They have their own QT, a 5 gal glass tank which I like MUCH better than the scratched up plastic kritter keeper Shirl and Honey are in, so those girls will be transferred to a new 5 gal glass QT tank next Thanks guys! ^_^

Name:  Snapshot 11 (10-9-2014 11-47 PM).png
Views: 84
Size:  210.8 KB<<Sheila and Jelly Beans's QT tank; Shir & Honey's QT tank on left Sheila & Jelly Bean's on right with night lamp>>Name:  Snapshot 1 (10-9-2014 11-36 PM).png
Views: 93
Size:  196.7 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny

LisaGarcia

That looks good! How big of a regular tank do you have? (for some reason I can't remember)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Congrats on your new froggies!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

You wont regret owning whites they can be so entertaining at meal time!
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bombina Bob View Post
    You wont regret owning whites they can be so entertaining at meal time!
    They can be so messy! And they love to bite! But don't worry, it's not painful, but cute! The frog is adorable!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Congrats on another round of new frogs. I would stop here until you've gotten all of your frogs healthy though. I know you're still having trouble with Honey. You are going to need a good size tank for all these guys too! Make sure your frogs are in different areas and none of their supplies are stored near each other. Try to have separate spray bottles also. You do not want to risk contaminating the new ones with whatever Honey has. Chances are though, if they're from the same Petco tank, you're going to be treating ALL of them. Our petco was having a 50% off reptile sale today (amphibs included) and they had the most adorable baby whites, if they didn't have a tank with a few full grown whites right next to the babies to remind me that they grow into big, space loving frogs, it'd be so easy to get suckered in!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

13. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LisaGarcia View Post
    That looks good! How big of a regular tank do you have? (for some reason I can't remember)
    We have a 29 gal (non-vert) and also a 49 gal bow front I can up to if needed. When they get big enough I'm going to customize two 100 gal Reptarium mesh cages together vertically, place the tank inside, and then have taller live plants inside. I've been told by some folks it won't work for the humidity, but my plant room maintains ave mid to high 50s-60s% humidity, which goes up with misting, and the plants would be misted daily so I'm going to give it a shot. No worries, I won't do anything to jeopardize my kids! I'm going by their natural history and the different habitats they've been found in naturally-- including people's houses and lavatories in Australia :P If I have any indication it won't work for them I'll glass things in instead. Right now they swing between 45%-70% humidity and 75 F to 79 F temps and are doing great!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Congrats on another round of new frogs. I would stop here until you've gotten all of your frogs healthy though. I know you're still having trouble with Honey. You are going to need a good size tank for all these guys too! Make sure your frogs are in different areas and none of their supplies are stored near each other. Try to have separate spray bottles also. You do not want to risk contaminating the new ones with whatever Honey has. Chances are though, if they're from the same Petco tank, you're going to be treating ALL of them. Our petco was having a 50% off reptile sale today (amphibs included) and they had the most adorable baby whites, if they didn't have a tank with a few full grown whites right next to the babies to remind me that they grow into big, space loving frogs, it'd be so easy to get suckered in!
    Oh this is my definite hopping off spot, pardon the pun especially since we are in this dinky apartment! 4 is my magic number... we had the 4 PTFs visit us this summer, now they are in their natural environment, so I thought it would be appropriate to have 4 WTFs. I'm known as the Crazy 4 Frogs Lady (double connotation) lol! :P

They are definitely from the same tank; Jelly Bean and Sheila were already in with Honey and Shirley when I got the first girls. But I only had QT space for two at the time, and though I wanted Sheil I hadn't really contemplated Jelly Bean due to the size diff. Sheila, Honey and Shirley were there the week before Jelly Bean and her mates came in; the newer babies were there 2-3 days before I got Honey and Shirl and no new ones had been added since then. They say they order 6 at a time and won't get another order until they are down a few. The cool thing is I went in today during the Reptile Rally to get two smaller kritter keepers to put the girls in when I deep clean their houses, also a small water dish for Jelly Bean, and a 5 gal tank lid. I mentioned how I missed the sale on WTFs by a day and a half to the cashier (who sold Jelly Bean and Sheil to me) and she talked to the manager and he refunded me $10 credit on each of the girls, making my merch that day less than $5 total! Yay!

Oh and Honey has been off the Cheerios/wheat germ loaded crickets and on Fluker's powdered cricket diet crickets for about three days now and guess what... her poo is now normal color and getting back to solid form, no more tan mush! Shirley is still beyond normal and laid down one the size of Godzilla for me-- right after cleaning the tank no less. Go figure!
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am so happy for Jelly Bean! I just gave all the girls a few more crickets (they had some before I left around 4:30 this afternoon, saw her get 2-3 too) and Jelly Bean is looking so content ^_^ She's no longer a petrified little poo poser, glued to a piece of mopani with her eyes closed all day pretending not to exist! She's still under her leaf canopy , but she's moving around, her eyes are open and posture is alert and interested. Sheila, had her speckled green fanny in Jelly Bean's little water dish, and Jelly was sitting and looking at her, but when the crickets came in, Sheil jumped out and Jelly Bean traded places with her LOL! Probably the first nice soak she'd had in a while, she just looked like she was thinking "ahhhh". She's been plenty moist though, thanks to the damp vivas and the way I spray the lid so the droplets "rain" down onto the leaf and patter onto her.

Pics from earlier today, wish I got some of her in her dish but my cam was charging :P

Name:  DSC00736.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  151.1 KBName:  DSC00740.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  146.2 KBName:  DSC00760.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  140.8 KBName:  DSC00756.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  150.5 KB<<I put a mirror behind the tank so I could see what she was up to if she was hidden under the leaf, so that's her in the background too
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

JELLY BEAN IS TURNING GREEN! And she went for a walk, lol!! I guess she must have been in a deep brown funk, as attractive as it was; if green means she's happy and content then I say "Go green!" Sheila had her big fat butt in the tiny water dish again, so I guess Jelly Bean thought it was a good time to go exploring. When I turned the flashlight on she went and crawled back over the leaf though, heh.

...I really should be going to bed now... *coff* :P
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

Enjoy them
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

She's chocolate this morning but still appears content so whichever color rocks her world is fine by me
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Usually Whites will change color depending on humidity and temps. Usually if the temps are higher and humidity is low, the more greener the frog will be, Vice versa.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bombina Bob View Post
    Usually Whites will change color depending on humidity and temps. Usually if the temps are higher and humidity is low, the more greener the frog will be, Vice versa.
    Guess these gals are showing their individuality Shirley is her Aussie blue-green and hasn't been brownish (she never did get completely brown, her sides and legs stayed blue-green) since coming home, while Honey has been honey color most of the time and occasionally pale lime (never seen her brown at all, but maybe she can't turn brown and her honey shade IS her brown if she's a dilute...??) and Sheila has been the same green the whole time. Jelly Bean turned a sort of moderate mossy shade this morning with lighter green legs and sides when she came out from under the leaf canopy, and now she's asleep under there and is chocolate again. I just love these guys! ^_^

On the same note the PTFs got VERY dark when they went to ground in the African violets, and were lighter when on top of the Avs and closer to the light. They seemed to change according to environment/camo needs as the humidity was pretty stable.

Here is a pic of PTF #1 after she was rousted out of the African violet when I stuck my finger in the soil to see if it needed watering... she wasn't pleased, lol, but she was so dark I never even saw her!

Name:  Snapshot 26 (8-9-2014 12-22 AM).png
Views: 79
Size:  259.5 KB

PTF #1 on top of the Avs at her normal color

Name:  Frog1 rest violet1.png
Views: 92
Size:  327.5 KB

Here is a rather bad pic of Jelly Bean in her mossy color. I couldn't see her behind the leaf so this is a pic of her reflection in the mirror

Name:  DSC00774.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  150.0 KB

I love this pic, makes it look like I have three frogs, but it's Jelly Bean and Sheila's reflection in the background and Shelia on the flower pot in the foreground (aquarium smudging is SO annoying!)

Name:  DSC00762.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  139.4 KB

Shelia again

Name:  DSC00770.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  137.3 KB

Honey asleep in the dracaena :P

Name:  DSC00791.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  139.7 KB

Shirley on her ceramic lined tera cotta baking cup (cheap plastic tanks scratch so badly, guh)

Name:  DSC00733.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  131.8 KB
    Mom to these fine frogs!

Thread Information