Thread: Blob not burrowing, is it normal?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Blob not burrowing, is it normal?

Since I moved Blob into his new tank about 2 weeks ago, he isn't burrowing completely. He is basically just sitting in a concave hole in the substrate uncovered. I have about 3 inches of substrate for him to burrow in. I have been covering him up a little and when I go back to check on him he is back above the substrate.

He is eating normally and seems ok overall, but just not burrowing. I did add extra plants and he has been hiding under one, could that be a reason that he is not burrowing?

I am including photos of him and his tank:

This is his tank. A 10 gallon fish tank. I have coco fiber substrate, two plastic plants, a water dish (excuse the mess in it, it needed cleaned out today), a heat pad on the side, and an overhead heater with a dimmer and a red 60 watt bulb. I have an Exo Terra Monsoon fogger set up also. I do not have a thermometer or hygrometer at the moment (please do not get angry with me, I know this is a big no-no, I am ordering one offline. I would have one right now, but I wanted to get a really good one and no pet stores had any in stock in-store, I went everywhere this weekend looking for one!!) the one I had broke it was terrible anyway- it was analog.
    Name:  IMAG1323.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  60.1 KB

This is how Blob has been sitting since I moved him.
    Name:  DSCN4178.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  104.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SamuraiJay

Default Blob not burrowing, is it normal?

It appears to be a pretty normal thing to me. I am new to keeping frogs but from my understanding they burrow deeper and deeper to maintain humidity? So I guess it's a possibility that he is comfortable. I probably sound like an idiot but that's my 2 cents. I'm sure someone with a better answer will chime in shortly. I wouldn't worry though, my 2 frogs don't burrow completely. And so far they seem perfect. As long as temps are fine and humidity as well, I'm sure your froggie is perfectly fine

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Blob not burrowing, is it normal?

Ok shall I tell you a story of my big blob.... Lol...

he prefers to open his mouth and sit like that until the food is delivered.... Very entertaning lol
    After substrate change his hole should be done already so he would just go and sit there without any digging involved...

Yours is perfectly fine, he feels safe, thus no need to go under ground to hide. pretty dude!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJay View Post
    It appears to be a pretty normal thing to me. I am new to keeping frogs but from my understanding they burrow deeper and deeper to maintain humidity? So I guess it's a possibility that he is comfortable. I probably sound like an idiot but that's my 2 cents. I'm sure someone with a better answer will chime in shortly. I wouldn't worry though, my 2 frogs don't burrow completely. And so far they seem perfect. As long as temps are fine and humidity as well, I'm sure your froggie is perfectly fine
    I'm glad to know other people's frogs do the same thing and that yours are doing well. I am somewhat new to the frog keeping too (Blob is just over a year old) and I thought pacman frogs burrowed all the time. Maybe that is a misconception? I am always learning new things about frogs on here.

I don't think you sound like an idiot at all. I think you are right, I think they burrow to maintain humidity and temperature too (I could also be wrong lol).

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Ok shall I tell you a story of my big blob.... Lol...

he prefers to open his mouth and sit like that until the food is delivered.... Very entertaning lol
    After substrate change his hole should be done already so he would just go and sit there without any digging involved...

Yours is perfectly fine, he feels safe, thus no need to go under ground to hide. pretty dude!
    Thanks Lija! I feel much better.

Lol your frog sounds like royalty. He should have a crown!

Nationality
    [Canada]

No problem

yeah... Thank to him the word lazy gets the whole new meaning lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information