Thread: Need help with african dwarf frogs please!

hannahthedog

Exclamation Need help with african dwarf frogs please!

Hi my name is Hannah, I owned three African dwarf frogs and a betta that were in a 13 gallon and a fully cycled tank. Ammonia reading is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is around .25. Recently one African dwarf frog passed from a injury. I made a huge mistake and used pointy tweezers while feeding the frog and it ended up cutting her. A infection then formed in her mouth and I did my best to help but it wasn't enough. Her infection grew and grew, her whole face was covered she didn't have a face anymore. She started having seizures and couldn't swim anymore. Then a day later my betta died, I moved my betta to a container then his insides kind of ruptured...? yes gross..but anyways the question. My last two dwarf frogs were happy and all active but now one is becoming lethargic and floating. She no longer wants to eat the frozen blood worms, I tried wiggling it in front of her lips with my new soft end tweezers, but she would not eat like she usually does, and she eats like a piggy. She seems to be getting paler, I have had these frogs for more than two months now, their were no symptoms until after the frog developed a infection in its mouth. My male African dwarf frog is eating fine and happy. The female who is now sick used to be my super happy little froggie. She was the happiest at dinner time and would actually try to climb up my arm I had to push her off and she would nibble on my hand. Now she's distant and I have no idea what happened..my aquarium was doing so well..please can you help me find out what's wrong with my frog...?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need help with african dwarf frogs please!

I know pretty much nothing about adfs, but I know that filling this out will help the people who DO know something help you ---

“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
    The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)?

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish?

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments?

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)?

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? Note that if you do not have test kits, most aquariums/pet shops will do complimentary tests if you take a clean water sample.

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR]

7. Substrate type?

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank?

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed?

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used?

12. When is the last time frog ate?

13. Have you found poop lately?

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine).

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area.

16. How old is the frog?

17. How long have you owned him/her?

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred?

19. Any medications in the water (treatment doses and for how long)?

20. Any salt in water (how much)?

21. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area?

22. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.).
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

4. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

hannahthedog

1. Tank Size and volume of water in it (full, 1/2 filled, etc.)? 13 gallon and full of water

2. Number of inhabitants including all frogs and any fish? 2 African dwarf frogs

3. Water source and any conditioner treatments? Filtered tap water then conditioned with stress coat+ then let it sit out for 24 hours before adding it to tank.

4. Water Temperature and how is it heated (if so)? 78 degrees

5. Water chemistry levels: pH; Ammonia (NH3); Nitrites (NO2); Nitrates (NO3)? 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and nitrates is 5.0 ppm

6. Describe any filter system including model and media?[/COLOR] Aqua clear 20 power filter, media is Bio Max, Carbon, and Foam.

7. Substrate type? Eco complete substrate

8. Tank set-up (plants (live or artificial), driftwood, hide outs and other decor? - How were things prepared prior to being put into the tank? Their are many live plants, each plant was given a bleach bath before added. Drift wood was boiled and soaked in water for a week. Vase was cleaned out before adding to tank.

9. Main frog staple food and any treats? How often you feed? frozen blood worms that are thawed in Chlorine free tap water. Fresh water frozen sample pack. I feed at least three worms each for the frogs every other day.

10. CA, vitamins, and any other additives used (how often)?
    No I have not used this.

11. Lighting set-up and hours it's used? At least 7 hours, 8 hours Is the max.

12. When is the last time frog ate? I fed them 20 minutes ago. Only the male ate and not the female.

13. Have you found poop lately? I haven't seen any poop, my substrate is dark but when I siphon my tank I see the poop get cleaned out.

14. A picture would be helpful including frog and tank (any including cell phone pics are fine). I included one.

15. Describe frog's symptoms and/or recent physical changes; to include it's ventral/belly area. Lethargic, rejects food, floating on top of water, mostly on my floating plants with her head out of water. Turning pale, she looks like she has a full belly. Other then that her belly looks normal and I don't see weird skin peeling or shedding behavior.

16. How old is the frog?
    I'm not sure, I got her from petco a few months back, but I think shes around 8 months old.

17. How long have you owned him/her? around 2 months.

18. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred? Captive Bred.

19. Any medications in the water (treatment doses and for how long)? Their is no medication in the tank at the moment.

20. Any salt in water (how much)? Theirs no salt in the water.

21. Is the tank kept in a high or low traffic area? Low traffic area its right by my bed on my shelf.

22. Describe tank maintenance to include water changes, cleaning, media changes, etc.). I do water changes once in two weeks, I remove 25% percent of the water which is around 3.5 gallons. I change out carbon every month, I rinse the bio max and sponge in tank water in a bowl, I do the same with the new carbon. I Siphon the tank around the same time i do the water change. I clean algae off the tank and remove any decaying plants.

Doug

Is that the only food you feed her? A mostly bloodworm diet for ADF is risky from what I learned over the years-- not to mention a bloodworm diet is not balanced. I conditioned my ADF to eat mostly xenopus food pellets.

Is there a slight cloudy "tinge" to the water? Even with filtration, I sometimes had this problem. My ADF would get sick until I cleared it up with sponge / aerator filter. Are you rinsing the biomax and sponge with chlorine FREE water, or tapwater? You do not want to rinse the bio-filter with tap water as it will kill the beneficial bacteria.

hannahthedog

Theirs no cloudyness to the water, and yes I make sure it is chlorine free and I rinse it in old tank water in a bowl so it won't kill the beneficial bacteria. I tried to feed them a variety of different frozen foods, but they weren't interested except for the blood worms, I have been looking for pellets to feed them. But I am not sure on what to get. Also the frog died yesterday, I looked at her belly and saw she had a slight red coloring from her mouth down to her stomach. Her eyes were very cloudy looking,I believe it was a bacterial infection. I still have one frog left, hes hanging around on the bottom of the tank being himself. I will order pellets today to feed the male frog. thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

hannahthedog

I have frog bites on the way now.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hello and welcome to FF! Appears the wounded frog increased the number of pathogenic bacteria to a level that is killing all fish and frogs in the tank. From reading your post the aquariums was never treated right? Can you get some Melafix & Pimafix and treat aquarium with both daily according to label directions for 7 days? Also, do weekly water changes versus every other week. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

10. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Doug

I really think the mostly bloodworm diet may have been the trigger.

Frequently Asked Questions about food and feeding

12. This member thanks Doug for this post:

Thread Information