Thread: Mysterious Fire Bellied Death

Abrahamdelacy

Default Mysterious Fire Bellied Death

Hello. I just went to check on my two fired bellied toads and noticed there were white foamy bubbles in the tank. They were not there a couple hours ago. Upon further investigation I noticed one of my toads wasn't moving. I took him out and realized he was dead. It seems his tongue is swollen and is sticking out of his mouth. He was underneath the bubbles next to the filter. Over the last week I have noticed their color darken. Is this normal? I read the thread that said it could be dangerous levels in the water, but they were both totally fine a few hours ago. Acting normal, swimming around, doing frog things. I did an immediate water change and used treated tap water. I put in some stabilizing stuff (I did not do this when I first set up the tank. I honestly didn't even think about it, but now it makes so much sense.) Did my mistake cause his death? The other toad is fine. Did the frog dying cause the level spike and bubbles? or did the bubbles cause the toads death? and what is with the swollen tongue? It's huge. I thought it was a baby cricket sticking out of his mouth as if he had choked on it. As weird as it sounds could his tongue have gotten caught in the filter intake? I use a reptile filter for turtle tanks primarily. It has a waterfall and a terracotta pot underneath it so the water falls gently. I am so confused... What do you think the cause of death was? I want to know how to prevent this from happening again. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Abrahamdelacy

Default Re: Mysterious Fire Bellied Death

Also I am relatively new, but not completely new to frogs. I have 2 pacman frogs, a Tomato frog, an African clawed frog, and then there were the fire bellied toads. This is, however, my first time keeping Fire bellied toads. I read the care sheet on here before getting them, but maybe I missed something?

Thread Information