Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, here we go...100 gallons. Walk me through it?!

BCollie

Default Well, here we go...100 gallons. Walk me through it?!

Hi all! My name is Adri, I just joined here. I will warn you in advanced, this post may be a bit(or very - yes, probably very) long.
    A bit about myself...
    I'm 19 years old, attending college, and I'm obsessed with Border Collies. I've fostered 32 of them, though I'm now fostering cats due to being in school & not having the time that foster dogs need. I own one dog, 10 chickens(with more in the incubator), and 1 snake. I live in my parents guest house. When I move off their property it'll just be my dog, snake and I - my parents will be keeping the chickens.
    My dog:
    Name:  DSC_2563.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  53.6 KB

My snake, just got him yesterday! He's a baby High White California King Snake.
    Name:  DSC_6075.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  42.8 KB
    And, his enclosure. I decided to go with fake everything. Fake plants, fake hide-outs, etc. just because it's easy. I think it still looks pretty dang good, considering the only natural things in there are wood and rock. It would look 100 times better if I hadn't used aspen shavings, but that's what most of the snake experts recommended so that's what I used
    Name:  15412594621_6844f45d65_b.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  87.3 KB

Enough about me. Let's get on to what I'm here for...my 100 gallon tank.
    I am big on making enclosures/habitats look pretty and natural. Here is my 100 gallon 7 months ago. Only changes since then are that the fish and plants have grown. The plants have grown A LOT. A certain type of plant reached the top of the tank, so I cut it back and replanted the trimmings, and those trimmings have reached halfway up the tank now.

As of today, I have decided to get out of the fishkeeping hobby. I have grown tired of it, in fact grown to resent it a bit because I hate having to do water changes every week. Hauling heavy hoses around is the only way for me to do water changes, and it drives me insane. Not how I want to spend the little free time that I have now that I'm a college student.
    Now, I am thinking that I want to do a vivarium for Poison Dart Frogs, or some similar looking frogs. I want frogs where I can buy enough of them that you'll always be able to see a few of them even when the rest are hiding, if that makes sense. I also want pretty frogs, of course! Colors! BUT, I am not rich, I don't think I can afford to stock a 100 gallon tank with frogs when they're 30-40+ dollars a piece. I get 40 dollars a month from my parents. I have about $100 saved up and estimate I'll get about $150-$250 from selling all my fish, plants, and FX5/6 filter. So let's put my budget at $300. NOT much, right? But, I am a penny pincher I find sales, I save up, and - I'll admit it - I'm cheap. HOWEVER, I will not compromise on quality for things such as plants and whatever else I need, or the health of the animals that I buy.
    I am trading in all my fish to a local fish store this weekend, if all goes as planned. I may end up trading in my large plants but I'm trying to sell them myself so that I can get maybe $50 to put towards my new viv. I can always throw them in my 20 gallon no-maintenance shrimp tank until they're sold.
    Anyways, I'm thinking out loud here.
    I have a few ideas for a vivarium. All I know right now is that I want a waterfall...pothos vines, if they're safe for frogs...lots of plants, but not so many that the frogs are never seen. Tall plants in the background...and I know the frogs will be the very last thing added to the vivarium. This will be a display tank.
    I have never done a vivarium before, only aquariums. This is all a bit overwhelming, esp. considering my small budget. This may be a long process simply because of the small budget...but the budget can be increased as time goes on(more "allowance" from my parents) and as I book photoshoots.
    So...where do I start?!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Well, here we go...100 gallons. Walk me through it?!

Nice doggy and snakey! Welcome to the forums!

Waterfalls are pain... Big kinda pain... Like monster sized pain lol but I love them!

anyhow you should start with reading this http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...ion-101-a.html

I would really want to keep that nice wood you have in a tank
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

BCollie

Oh yes, I will definitely be keeping the two wood pieces. But hopefully adding more.
    Why do you say waterfalls are a pain?
    I'll go check out that link, thank you!

EDIT: OUCH!! I am looking at frogs online and it seems even the cheap ones start at $25-30 That takes up like my ENTIRE budget, just buying frogs...

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi and welcome to the forum Adri!

Quote Originally Posted by Adri
    Where do I start
    That is an excellent question lol. Well for starters you are off on the right foot. Planning, asking question, and more planning are what make building a vivarium a success. The beauty of the tank is in the eye of the beholder. Very few of us 100% like our own tanks. We see the beauty in them, but we also see the glaring flaws and we try to correct those flaws on the next build. I will cover a few points to get the ball ralling

1. Waterfall - Water features should be considered an advanced tool in builds. They very rarely work as intended and often cause heartache and frustration. I do not recommend adding a water feature in tanks simply to make them more intricate and interesting to view.

2. Decide what from you want and then read about them. Then design your tank to suit their needs. Dart frogs in general do not required a pool, pond, water bowl, or water fall. However dart frogs range from terrestrial frogs to ones that will climb and explore every inch your tank has to offer. You will want to keep that in mind when designing your tank. Some frogs do better in groups their whole life while others only do good in groups for the first 12 - 16 months and then would need to be separated (though a properly designed 100g tank might allow them to continue to be housed together.

3. Contrary to what you might think the more cover/hiding options you offer most frogs the more bold and visible they become. They will feel save out in the open knowing they are only a few hops away from a hiding spot if the need should arise.

4. Listen to most of the advice given by the moderation team. Between us we have years and years of experience keeping all types of frogs, building all types of enclosures, and have made many many mistakes that we try to share with the members to keep them from suffering the same failures.

5. The "minimum requirements" for most frogs is 1 frog per 20 gallons of space. I say minimum because it can work but more room with less frogs typically equals happier frogs. So in your 100g tank you could put 10 in there and meet the minimum requirements, but I would say put 5 to 7 frogs in there. You would almost ensure you will see them, but not have so many they are stressing each other out.

$300 is a modest budget, but totally doable. You may end up needing more money for plants, but as you said as time progresses you will slowly have more money to add to the build.

If you want post some of the frogs you are interested in and I (or anyone else that wants to) can chime in on what we know about them and help you narrow your frog list down.

Ask any and all questions, take some time to read through the Vivarium section. We have a lot of build journals over there that walk you through other peoples builds. Bill and I also put together an Vivarium 101 thread that covers some of the more common techniques used.

Paul
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

BCollie

Thank you Paul for your detailed response. Considering the fact that even the "cheap" frogs seem to start at around $25-30+, I think I am mostly interested in Poison Dart Frogs. My main concerns are:
    Cost
    The frogs "getting along"
    If I could have 10 that would be great, but it would take up my entire budget and I don't want to stress them by having too many. I can always add more as time goes on, am I correct? Or do they all need to be introduced at the same time?

Regarding waterfalls - since that is now two people who have said they're a pain, what if I were to buy a pre-made waterfull with pump, such as this one? It has mixed reviews so I'm wary, but still intrigued...very intrigued. Having a waterfall just seems like the perfect way to pull the viv together, but that's just me. But, I know it's not the end of the world if I don't have one.
    Amazon.com : Exo Terra Natural Waterfall with Pump - Large : Aquarium Water Pumps : Pet Supplies

Something I am curious about is tadpoles...I am sure this a total newbie question hehe...but is buying tadpoles an option? Are tadpoles hard to raise, and can they even be shipped? As I'm sure you've figured out by now, I know next to nothing about Poison Darts, or frogs in general. I do know they need high humidity.

Mostly interested in Poison Dart Frogs at the moment since many of them seem to be on the lower end of the price range for frogs. And then some are insanely high lol! But this is coming from the girl who drools over thousand dollar snakes, so you know...no judgements from me. Lol
    What types of Poison Darts do best in groups? For example, ventrimaculates, leucomelas, tinctorius, etc.?? Just trying to get a general idea of what I'm looking at in terms of price and colors. I'm checking out Josh's Frogs but don't know what kinds I should be looking at.

Of course, if you guys have suggestions for budget-friendly, colorful frogs that do well in groups I am of course open to suggestions!

Nationality
    [United States]

Tincs do great in groups until sexual maturity than they can be aggressive towards each other. I large tank with plenty of "line of sight" breaks will help keep the aggression down as they get older.

Leucs are awesome, love to climb and do great in groups forever. They are very active and entertaining to watch. I don't personally own any (yet ) but they are on my list to buy for sure.

Vents - I own vents and they are very very shy. They run to the bank of the tank if I get within a few feet of it. They are pretty frogs and I love them, but they are shy. They are also thumbnail frogs (adult size is about the size of your thumbnail) so even 10 of them in your tank would be hard to see them.

Tadpoles - The one major downside to buying tadpoles is they may not all live to be frogs and if they did you would need an entirely different setup to slowly move them into a planted tank. You are talking months of them in water, then months of the froglets in a quarantine type tank and you would need tons and tons of springtails.... I am not trying o scare you away from it, but it just opens up a whole new aspect of this that you would need to plan for.

You can add frogs as you go or start with 5 or 6 and let them breed and see what happens to fill the tank up some more. Most breeders will offer you discounts and deals when you are looking to get 4 or more. Don't be afraid to find the species and morph of the frog you want and call some breeders and say "Hey I see you have "X" frog for sale for "X" amount. I want 8. What kind of deal can you offer me?" I used nearly this same line with one breeder and got 4 frogs for the price of 3 with 2 fruit fly cultures tossed into the deal.

Also keep an eye out for Reptile expos in your are those are great places to pick up your frogs and you will be able to save the $50 shipping fee that would accompany an online order

That is another thing to start thinking about. With 5 - 10 frogs you will want to make sure you have plenty of food on hand. I always advise that once you pic the frog and have the tank nearly complete that you go ahead and buy 1 or to ff cultures and the supplies to setup your own cultures. Practice it until you feel like you have it down and can keep a good stream of food available for your frogs. It is much much cheepers to buy a couple cultures and then use those to create more and more cultures than it is to continually pay for them and the shipping fees. Most frogs will be juvenile frogs and will need Melonogaster <sp> fruit flies for the first 3 - 6 months and depending on how big their adult size is you may need to switch to Hydie fruit flies later (those are the bigger of the fruit flies). Doing your own cultures isn't hard, but take a bit of practice. Once you get near that point I will help in any way I can to get you pointed down the right path .

Water fall - Those pre made waterfalls are largely garbage. I wouldn't waste your money on them. If you want a waterfall and there is no talking you out of it I will help and enlist Bill's help to get you pointed in the right direction

Also in my signature is a link to my youtube channel. I have some how to videos on there and one of them is focused on fruit flies.
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

BCollie

I'll tell you what...if a waterfall means I'm going to need to be doing weekly(or more frequent) water changes, count me OUT. I'm so tired of dragging hoses around. I cannot wait to tear down this tank and start fresh.
    Here's some froggies I'm interested in:
    Phyllobates vittatus | Josh's Frogs
    Dendrobates leucomelas '1995 Import' | Josh's Frogs

Can different types of frogs, say the two above, be kept together? Or is that a no-no?

Oh how I wish these babies were good in groups. They are strikingly beautiful. But I don't want to risk them hurting each other.
    Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'

I'll have to see when the next local reptile expo is. I'll have to travel at most 3 hours because I live in a tiny town(10k people). Closest real "city" is 100k people. No reptile expos here lol

Sigh, this is all very overwhelming! I am getting a headache lol.

BCollie

A couple questions indirectly related to frogs. I know they need humidity from 80?%-100%
    I do not want to be misting down the enclosure every day. Seriously, I did it with my gecko and it's a pain. I want a fogger, or a mister, or something...Which is better? I am looking at Amazon.com : Exo Terra Monsoon RS400 Rainfall System : Pet Habitat Decor : Pet Supplies
    and also
    Amazon.com : Alpine The Fogger : Pond Foggers : Pet Supplies
    Any other suggestions would be great if neither of these are recommended. Just need something to keep the humidity up where it needs to be!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Ok first of all regarding a budget, please correct me my US friends, I may be off in costs.
    you need to be realistic here. You have a very big tank that equal big $, especially since it is your first rank and mistakes will probably be made. Frogs themselves will be just a small fraction of costs. On the other hand if you take your time, plan carefully $ and workload you can make a killer vivarium that we all be drooling about lol

waterfalls are pain, my first tank had one, im redoing it right now. The problem with these is maintenance, you don't need to replace the water in a tank of your size with darts, but you will need to clean the tubes ( once in 1-2 months), you will need to add water once in a while. The thing is that water usually goes where it wants to, but not always where you want it to, so you need a back up plan. My back up plan with my first tank was to rip everything apart that im happily doing tight now lol

So $, Lets see:
    great stuff background.... You will probably need....5-6 Cans (?) or more, especially if you do waterfall. So here are 40-50$ right there.
    whatever you choose to cover that up, 40$
    wood, you have some, you can find something suitable outside probably too.
    egg crate, 8$?
    ABG mix.... No idea how much you need, I'd think a lot, so 30-50$?
    plants..... Oh boy... That part is gonna be sucking money like there is no tomorrow.
    light - you can probably use the same as you used for your fish tank
    you need a lid - no idea, Paul or Bill are go to people on that, but I'd think 10-20-30$.

........ Pump, tubing......etc......

And yes, you can get monsoon, but you be better off with mistking, both in a same price range, but the latter is way better. Add 100$ to your budget
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

If I am reading this correctly, you want to build a 100g tank, with live plants, with an automatic misting system so you can keep maintenance down, for a budget of $300, including the frogs? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is not going to happen. It's just not possible. The misting system that you would need for that size tank alone will eat most of your budget. The monsoon is fine for small vivaria, but for 100g, you are going to need something along the lines of http://www.mistking.com/ultimate-misting-system.html with an added head. An ultrasonic fogger will be useless in that size tank unless you are only using it for aesthetics.

My suggestion? Stick with the fish for now and save, save, save.

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Bill, what budget do you think is realistic for that size of the tank without automatic misting system and frogs, but with waterfall and background?
    I'm thinking 500-600$ , am I off?

LisaGarcia

Let's see what I can offer. I have the 36x18x36 exo terra. I will need 112$ in abg mix alone. and another 50-75 in dried leaves. The external filter pump for the water system is 100$ the mistking will run me another 150-200 (still haven't nailed that one down yet). The egg crate cost 24$ (Bought 2 of them) $12 in PVC pipes, 20 for a pipe cutter. I am figuring $200 for plants. I still have to buy lights. 60 for the lamp and 30$x 4 for led's. (Yes, I am going all out) Also will need heat so there is even more. Probably $50-60 for great stuff. Try finding EVERYTHING you are going to use, price out EVERYTHING and then re-budget. $300 is a great start but probably won't get you to the end.

I am figuring a grand or more (including the tank)by the time it's completely finished and Frogs are out of quarantine and happy. You can do it but it is going to take a while. You will need to plan on spending more money. UNLESS you happen to have a lot of the stuff laying around.

Good luck. Don't get discouraged due to the money and give up. Just know you have some more planning and saving up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    Bill, what budget do you think is realistic for that size of the tank without automatic misting system and frogs, but with waterfall and background?
    I'm thinking 500-600$ , am I off?
    Minus frogs, but including a background and larger water feature. Yeah, about $600, if using plants from a big box store. If you want to go with exotics, tack on another $200-$300

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Now here's the scary part, since it is a first build, and a big one at that, I would include another 50% of the budget for mistakes. There will be errors and issues that will probably need to be redone.

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

BCollie

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    If I am reading this correctly, you want to build a 100g tank, with live plants, with an automatic misting system so you can keep maintenance down, for a budget of $300, including the frogs? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is not going to happen. It's just not possible. The misting system that you would need for that size tank alone will eat most of your budget. The monsoon is fine for small vivaria, but for 100g, you are going to need something along the lines of MistKing Misting Systems by Jungle Hobbies Ltd with an added head. An ultrasonic fogger will be useless in that size tank unless you are only using it for aesthetics.

My suggestion? Stick with the fish for now and save, save, save.

Lol you are not going to be able to convince me to stick with fish, I am so DONE hauling hoses around! I'm trading them into the fish store this week, throwing the live plants in my no-maintenance 20 gallon, and then bleaching the tank, rising it out(fill it up with water and add a TON of Seachem Prime, which neutralizes bleach) then draining the tank. May fill and drain it twice just to be sure all the bleach is gone.
    Like I said, I know this will be a slow process because of my budget. But I am actively trying to book photoshoots for $50-$100 each so the budget should be raised soon. If I can manage to sell the plants, add an extra $50 to the budget. If I get what I want for the filter, add another $50. The $300 is underestimating because I think that's always the safest way to go about things.
    I do know that I want an automatic misting or fogging system, or something to keep the humidity up. BUT, that can probably wait until I've booked a photoshoot or two.

I plan on sticking with budget-friendly plants, I don't plan on spending $20+ per plant. And I know from fish-keeping that letting plants grow in goes a long way! I do one of the most expensive items already - a nice light. AND just for fun, it's a day light with a switch for night lights. It is considered medium-light in fishkeeping. It's a Fuge Ray if I am remembering correctly. I also have the tank/stand/canopy already, which saves me several hundred dollars. I can sell the AquaClear 110 that I was planning on keeping as a back-up filter for maybe $20-$30.
    As I said before, I am aware that this is going to be a slow progress. I need to learn patience, so this will be good for me. I don't expect to have it all set up and running in just a few weeks. I know this will probably take months, and I am prepared for that. The budget of $300 is only the money I have to start with, not my entire budget for the vivarium.

Speaking of plants - what do they entail in terms of care? Do they need to be watered even though they're in a high humidity aquarium with what I assume will be damp soil?

BCollie

Minus frogs, but including a background and larger water feature. Yeah, about $600, if using plants from a big box store. If you want to go with exotics, tack on another $200-$300

I think I have decided against a water feature for now...and a background for the tank? Is the black paint on the back(outside) of the tank not a suitable background?

A 3-d background inside the tank gives more usable space for the frogs (and looks nicer:)).

You don't seem to be in a hurry here, that's a big, big plus for the budget conscious. You can save on many things, make your own ABG, collect your own leaf litter, keep your eyes open for smaller discount plants from box stores, propagate and grow them yourself, etc. A carefully detailed plan from the outset will help you know what deals you should be on the lookout for.

It might not hurt to try a smaller build first. 20 or 30 gallon used fish tanks can be had for a song if you patiently watch kiji/craigslist/garage sales. Trying a few things out on a smaller scale can help you plan for the larger version and save in the long run.

Good luck!:)

That background can be whatever you choose it to be

0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

BCollie

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    A 3-d background inside the tank gives more usable space for the frogs (and looks nicer).

You don't seem to be in a hurry here, that's a big, big plus for the budget conscious. You can save on many things, make your own ABG, collect your own leaf litter, keep your eyes open for smaller discount plants from box stores, propagate and grow them yourself, etc. A carefully detailed plan from the outset will help you know what deals you should be on the lookout for.

It might not hurt to try a smaller build first. 20 or 30 gallon used fish tanks can be had for a song if you patiently watch kiji/craigslist/garage sales. Trying a few things out on a smaller scale can help you plan for the larger version and save in the long run.

Good luck!
    Ahh, if I had a spare tank I would do this. Maybe I can use my 15 gallon tank once my snake moves to his permanent enclosure(today or tomorrow)
    Questions...how do you make your own ABG? What kind of leaves work for leaf litter?

BCollie

That background can be whatever you choose it to be

A 3-D background would be nice but I'm afraid it would look bad, because I'm not artsy in that sense.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information