Thread: How do you know if your frog is eating enough?

SamuraiJay

Default How do you know if your frog is eating enough?

Hey guys, sorry for the frequent posts with seemingly simple answers. But I just want to make sure I give my frogs the best they can have. I began feeding crickets but have since switched to earthworms. I chop them up to smaller pieces for my samurai but my normal green only takes them whole. He is a bit bigger than my samurai, but after one whole one my normal seems to be satisfied. Is one whole worm enough per day? Or should he be eating way more than that. How would I know he's had enough? I want to make sure they grow properly and are always satisfied.

Also for them being so young, is it appropriate to feed them daily? I haven't seen poop in the water bowl so I can't honestly tell if they have passed anything. Which leads me to another question....

Are you supposed to (a) dig them out of the dirt to feed them or (b) completely move them everytime it's feeding time?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: How do you know if your frog is eating enough?

I'm not experienced with pacmans, but I will convey what I do know until someone else arrives.

The smaller/younger the frog, the more frequent it will need to be fed.

The food (cricket, worm, etc.) should be no longer or wider than the distance between the frog's eyes. A whole earth worm may be too much. Are you sure he will not accept it cut-up?

If you feed daily, I believe 1/2 to 1 worm is enough, depending upon the size of the frog.

Once again, I'm no pacman expert, so anyone feel free to correct me.

And don't worry, no question is a stupid one, as nothing is more glorious than the seeking of knowledge and advice
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

SamuraiJay

Default How do you know if your frog is eating enough?

Yes I have tried cutting them up and tong feeding, I have tried cutting up and placing the worm in front of him, for some reason he only likes it whole. How does he know... That's beyond me lol. But I will consistently attempt to feed him cut up. I don't want to harm him. I'll wait a day or so to feed again to make sure no Impaction occurs.

Also is it fine to feed them in their enclosure. I've noticed them swallow a little Eco earth. Should I be feeding them elsewhere?

Nationality
    [United States]

Handling isn't recommended. Like I've said, I'm not too terribly familiar with pacmans. You may be able to place a paper towel on top of the substrate, and then the worm or cricket. That way, there's no risk of him swallowing substrate.

I would still attempt to feed him cut up worms. If you keep doing it, chances are that he will eventually go for it. If not, go for baby worms. That way, they're whole, but not too big to cause impaction, etc.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That's right! It has always better to ask a "stupid" question ir whatever is it you are not sure. No question is stupid, if you ask it means you care and want to know, just go for it!

Josh is correct.

You need to feed daily and as much as they can eat once a day. You will see their behaviour, if you see they are not interested, stop offering. Make sure you properly supplementing your food items.

Your bigger one, if he eats the whole worm that is fine, but for babies you need to cut it to smaller chunks.

i don't remember, did we cover your "trouble in the enclosure" questions? If not, you can post your answers, so we can check them and advise if anything needs fixing.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Swallowing Exo earth is ok, that is why it is recommended substrate.
    how big is your bigger frog exactly? He might not see a need of wasting his energy for a small prey ( cut worms)
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

I know there's a point when you should only feed them 1 every 2 days, how do you know when their big enough? And i think its the width of the mouth that the size should be, not the distance between the eyes.

Nationality
    [Canada]

There no minimum or maximum. You need to feed as much as a frog can eat once a day, every day. They are pretty good at regulating their food intake and as long as the food is healthy they won't get overweight.

Keep in mind every frog, just as every human, is different, what is true for one, might not be the case for the other. It is important to react to what frog is "telling" you.
    usually babies will eat every day, when they are about 2-2,5" they would refuse eating every day and may choose to skip a day or two, adults may eat once a week, but once again each frog is different.

so you need to offer food every day and properly supplement it, as they grow at some point it will turn to be every few days feeding.

the reason for cutting worm is that when a frog is little the whole worm is too big, small pieces will let him stop when it is enough.

Thread Information