Thread: I was thinking of starting me a european nightcrawler bed culture any tips on keeping them. They are very hardy an breed prolificly

Nationality
    [United States]

Default I was thinking of starting me a european nightcrawler bed culture any tips on keeping them. They are very hardy an breed prolificly

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I was thinking of starting me a european nightcrawler bed culture any tips on keeping them. They are very hardy an breed prolificly

Im surprised not may people on the forum are culturing nightcrawlers. They are very easy to keep and will readily breed.
    They can commonly be collected from a backyard on a rainy night (Be sure its pesticide and herbicide free) or bought at
    a bait store. Make sure that the worms (If you buy them) don't have a funky smell or have white bands, these are red wigglers
    Your frogs wont like these as food because of their bitter secretions.

The container can be a 5-10 gallon rubbermaid container. Be sure that the lid has some ventilation holes. mites will often
    thrive in very stagnant conditions.The substrate can consist of either peat moss, coconut fibre or shredded paper. The substrate
    should be moist but not wet, Earthworms will tolerate some amount of water but its best to keep it to where if you were to pinch
    the substrate, it should clump but not drip.

Food can consist of almost anything but high acidity foods such as citrus or artificial junk food, I find that high protein fish flake or
    grounded up soy beans will gutload the worms much faster than compost scraps, Temps should be anywhere from 50-70 F. the worms
    may need a light above their box for the first hour after getting the worms, this will encourage them to burrow rather than try to find an
    escape from the box

Good luck!
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

4. 2 members thank Bombina Bob for this post:

Default Re: I was thinking of starting me a european nightcrawler bed culture any tips on keeping them. They are very hardy an breed prolificly

Be sure to make sure whatever container you use, the lid is on as securely as possible, my mum used some worms yesterday, didn't put the tub lid on properly and during the night the little buggers decided that it was nice and dark enough to escape into my room. Lovely thing to wake up to.

6. This member thanks immortalspuddy for this post:

Randy

I assume you're talking about a worm farm yes?

A simple worm farm is good topsoil , and Styrofoam container .

I have had one for a year now , the bait shop offered to sell me a kit and i looked it over . all it is , is a larger Styrofoam square container like the ones you buy worms in .

This you add good topsoil to , add your worms and store in a COOL place ( i use a garage refrigerator) misting it occasionally .

You don't have to drill hole in the lid just open it every now and then when you check your worms or go to grab some .

That is a worm farm . Please remember use only topsoil nothing with fertilizers or additives.

8. This member thanks Randy for this post:

Thread Information