Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Weeks Later - RETF still hasn't eaten...

snoopfrog27244

Unhappy Two Weeks Later - RETF still hasn't eaten...

Frog People!

I come to you again in hopes of a solution! I posted a week or so ago about my new RETF not eating. So, I decided to let it go. Viv is good, stats are good (as far as temp/humidity), and he seems to like the setup of the tank--he explores every night after the lights go out.

Now, how do I get him to eat!? The past few nights I have noticed him perched up on a vine that sits right next to the bowl that holds the crickets--usually 4-5 each night. However, each morning, once again, they are all there and he is back asleep under a giant leaf that he seems to love.

Upon further speculation, the reptile shop that I got him from doesn't seem to take care of their animals very well and it got me thinking that the probability of him being wild-caught was pretty high. That being said, do you think this is why the bowl seems to intimidate him? Should I remove the sphagnum moss and only leave the eco-earth until I see he is eating? (I'm afraid of the crickets hiding and dying in his viv).

Please help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NatureLady

Allowing him to hunt for his food is a good option, not all frogs feed well from the bowl. I would also remove the sphagnum so there is no possibility of ingestion leading to impaction. I personally do not use sphagnum above soil level for any of my phibs. I use leaf litter or heavy planting. I'm sure some of the RETF people will jump in soon to help more.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Two Weeks Later - RETF still hasn't eaten...

Being that you've only had him for 2 weeks, paper towel substrate, damp, unprinted, and 4 thick, would be the best. I would try by putting 1 or 2 crickets in at a time. Make sure the crickets are no bigger than the space between his eyes. Wandering crickets is not the best idea, it could potentially stress out your frog more and could bite your frog. You will also want to have him fecal tested to make sure that there are no parasites interfering with his eating. If he is wild caught, there is a good chance that he has parasites and the stress of moving into captivity could give them opportunity to take over. I didn't read your other thread to know what you're doing. You should also cover a minimum of 3 sides of the tank, you may want to cover all 4 to help him get more comfortable. I covered 3 1/2 sides of mine while they were in qt.

When my red eyes were in quarantine, the only thing they had in their tank was some leaves hanging from the screen top, paper towels, a water bowl (no deeper than the chin, changed daily with dechlorinated water) a branch, and feeder bowls (2, one for each frog.) I kept them there for 30 days until I was assured they were healthy enough to move into their planted viv. It was easy to see that they had normal bowel movements and exactly how much they were eating.

What are your temps/humidity and size of the tank and what are you using to measure the temps and humidity?
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

snoopfrog27244

Thanks for chiming in!

I have been trying the feeder bowl because of reading about wandering crickets not being the best idea, so I understand you on that one. Each night when the lights go out, I cover the tank, all four sides so that i can get it as dark as possible for him and hopefully relieve any stress he has from that factor.

In his current setup, he has leaves hanging from top (these also act as cover from the exposed sides of the tank), a water bowl that is changed every night with fresh, dechlorinated, shallow water, a vine that spans several areas of the tank, eco-earth/sphagnum miss on top, and a feeder bowl that goes in right when the lights go out. The past couple nights I have caught him sitting on the fine right above/next to the feeder bowl, but he doesn't seem to actually get in there and eat them. The only other positive I have seen is that I caught him in his water bowl a few nights ago so I know he has used it.

As far as temps/humidity go It stays between 75-78 during the day and drops to 72-74 at night (temp) and humidity is around 70-75 during the day and drops to 65-70 during the evening. However, I have played with this a bit and he is equally active as soon as the lights go out and usually asleep again before they come on (usually on the underside of a large leaf he recently discovered).

I'm just ready for the little dude to eat already .

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Keep the sides covered day and night. Just use some construction paper. After he's eaten for a week or so, then you can try opening up one of the sides. Like I said, try reducing the amount of crickets in the bowl to 1 or 2, bowl feeding shouldn't be intimidating, but less crickets may make him feel more comfortable. If they're too big, he probably won't eat either. What kind of bowl is it? If the opening is narrow and they feel like they have to climb in, he probably will not go in to eat. QT style set up is important at this time. Get rid of the eco earth and the moss (in fact, you should never really need the moss.) Have you found any feces? Were they formed? Runny?

A fecal test would be really important also right now.

Do you have a current picture of the frog?

snoopfrog27244

Okay, I can definitely start covering up all the sides--all the time. I will try to drop the number down. I only was putting 3-4 for a while because I was trying to get his attention, if that makes sense. The bowl should be very accessible. It's a wide bowl that is close to 1.5 inches deep, but very open and far, far from narrow. It keeps the crickets in, but should be very acesible to him if he decided to go for it. I think I will remove the substrate when I get home because it is obviously extremely difficult to monitor any fecal material with it all over the place. I found feces the same morning I saw him in his water bowl, it was on the edge of the bowl and formed. However, since he isn't eating, I didn't expect to see much, if any.

Here is a pic from a few days ago..he no longer sleeps on the glass, but on the bottom side of a giant leaf in the middle of the tank now.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  19.1 KB

I went through the same problem. It took him a week to finally eat. I can empathize with you. It is extremely nerve wracking. I realized the humidity needed to be higher. Some frogs need it at 70%, some at 80%, some even at 90%. Mine prefers 90%. He's eating regularly now. The bowl feeding method wasn't working for him. I was told by someone on here that bowl feeding can be stressful for some frogs. And if there is any frog that'll be easily stressed, it's the Red-Eye. They are extremely sensitive, not just physically, but mentally as well. You can let some loose in the cage, just remove them each morning so they won't bite the frog when he/she's asleep. When adapting to their new surroundings, they fear us, they don't want to be seen. They hide and sleep a lot. I was told that some will sleep for days at a time even. You can help them feel more comfortable by not only covering the three sides, but also half of the free side even. At least for now. Also, they don't like to be held and holding them will also stress them out. That's all I've got for you! Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

snoopfrog27244

Quote Originally Posted by MantidBro View Post
    I went through the same problem. It took him a week to finally eat. I can empathize with you. It is extremely nerve wracking. I realized the humidity needed to be higher. Some frogs need it at 70%, some at 80%, some even at 90%. Mine prefers 90%. He's eating regularly now. The bowl feeding method wasn't working for him. I was told by someone on here that bowl feeding can be stressful for some frogs. And if there is any frog that'll be easily stressed, it's the Red-Eye. They are extremely sensitive, not just physically, but mentally as well. You can let some loose in the cage, just remove them each morning so they won't bite the frog when he/she's asleep. When adapting to their new surroundings, they fear us, they don't want to be seen. They hide and sleep a lot. I was told that some will sleep for days at a time even. You can help them feel more comfortable by not only covering the three sides, but also half of the free side even. At least for now. Also, they don't like to be held and holding them will also stress them out. That's all I've got for you! Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    Really appreciate the support! I have been following your posts also and seeing your updates--hoping something changes with my little guy soon.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Is the frog in a low traffic area? If not, you may want to move them there. Before increasing the humidity to that level or letting crickets free roam, I would cover the sides 24 hours a day and reduce the amount of crickets in the bowl. Your frog does not look too skinny, so he is not in any immediate danger of starvation.

11. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

snoopfrog27244

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Is the frog in a low traffic area? If not, you may want to move them there. Before increasing the humidity to that level or letting crickets free roam, I would cover the sides 24 hours a day and reduce the amount of crickets in the bowl. Your frog does not look too skinny, so he is not in any immediate danger of starvation.
    Thank you for all of your (very quick) support, Amy. I will relocate him to a bedroom--he is currently in the living room, but it is very low traffic even still. At night, there is nothing but darkness and quiet in that area of the house. I'll also go ahead and cover the tank completely for the next few days and minimize the cricket number to 2 in the bowl. Is removing the moss still a good move? Thank you again!

I'm just ready for him to eat. I know we all want our frogs to be happy and healthy, but it's been two weeks, little dude!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopfrog27244 View Post
    Really appreciate the support! I have been following your posts also and seeing your updates--hoping something changes with my little guy soon.
    Me too! good luck! Fortunately we have a lot of helpful people on this forum

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Two Weeks Later - RETF still hasn't eaten...

Hi Snoopfrog,

Amy has you headed in the right direction .

Try misting a bit more to 75-80%. If you can keep your daytime temp around 78'F it may boost his metabolism, hopefully making him hungry. Him exploring the bowl is good. He's interested. 1-4 small crickets in there is fine .

I'll write more soon. Have to drive.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

snoopfrog27244

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Hi Snoopfrog,

Amy has you headed in the right direction .

Try misting a bit more to 75-80%. If you can keep your daytime temp around 78'F it may boost his metabolism, hopefully making him hungry. Him exploring the bowl is good. He's interested. 1-4 small crickets in there is fine .

I'll write more soon. Have to drive.
    Thank you, Heather! Looking forward to your insight as well! I don't want to give up on the bowl because it does seem to be so successful for so many, but I also want my little guy to be happy and not stressed. I'm going to put two little crickets in the bowl tonight and give it another shot--it's just nerve wracking. Hopefully he won't want to hold out much longer. He's been perched on that vine right by the bowl the past two nights. He has to know they are in there.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That's funny, my red eyes sit on their vine and stare down the bowl before they decide to go for it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Mine do also .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Mine also
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

snoopfrog27244

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalPunk View Post
    Mine also
    Mine do also .
    Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    That's funny, my red eyes sit on their vine and stare down the bowl before they decide to go for it.
    RIGHT!? I don't think I could get him any closer to the bowl unless I actually put his face in it!

Maybe i'll just leave the entire tank covered all night--I have been leaving it covered until all of the lights go out in the house, but then I'll usually uncover it (my reason being its dark enough). However, maybe it isn't. Poor little guy--he has to be hungry!

Nationality
    [United States]

Do you have a photo of his home?

snoopfrog27244

Do you have a photo of his home?
    Kind of hard to see, but here is one I had from a week or so ago.

He sleeps on/under those big leaves--before those he was sleeping on the glass everyday. Usually, when I catch him awake, he is on those leaves or on the vine that runs around/under them and right next to the water dish and feeder bowl.

Its tough to get the perspective, but there is a lot of room in the front that has no plant coverage, but from my understanding, RETF hardly spend any time on the ground, or at least as little as possible unless hunting or bathing...

Should I get rid of some of the foliage?

Name:  IMG_9077.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  275.1 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Looks good . Well planted.

It's hard to see, but I would remove all moss. If accidentally ingested, he'll end up in trouble.

Mist good (75-80%).

You can do a nice refreshing Pedialyte soak to give him some electrolytes while waiting for him to eat.

Take 1 part clear, non-flavored Pedialyte to 10 parts distilled or dechlorinated water. Pour some into his water bowl before he wakes. He can soak in it for about 15-20 minutes. Then rinse out his bowl and add fresh dechlorinated water. It's not as good as eating, but it will give him some vital electrolytes. You can do this a few times a week, every couple of days for a week. It isn't something you can do too much of, but it can help. It's a bit like getting an IV bag of nutrients. Hopefully he'll start eating soon .

I agree on getting a fecal test done if he does poop. Dr. Frye' office does them for around $20 or so. You just get a clean fecal sample in a new baggie. It's best to wear gloves so you don't contaminate the specimen. Send it to their office with a check, the name of the frog species, and the test you want done (frog fecal test for ova/parasites).

http://milanareaanimalhospital.com

23. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information